User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rbgb
(learned) Mon 02-Feb-15 16:14:38
Print Post

Included Router

[link to this post]

Hi, Now that Zen's Fibre Broadband packages included the Technicolor router does this mean you won't get the BT Openreach modem when you sign up? If so can the Technicolour router act as bridge modem? Thanks

Edited by rbgb (Mon 02-Feb-15 16:17:01)

Standard User Geordish
(learned) Mon 02-Feb-15 18:53:47
Print Post

Re: Included Router

[re: rbgb] [link to this post]

You may still get the BT modem, but you don't have to use it, as its got an integrated VDSL modem.

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/fibre-opt...
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Feb-15 19:19:07
Print Post

I think it would depend on if you needed a managed engineer install or a PCP install

If you have never had a FTTC service it maybe a good idea to opt for the managed engineer install , where as if you currently have a working FTTC service with another provider so migrating you if your original service was installed by a BT engineer you should not need anything as you will have a BTopenreach modem and ssfp already , although if coming from sky or tt, you may require a VDSL modem or zen's solution , as sky's and tt's provided equipment maybe locked and not work with other isp's, Zen offer both wires only and manager installs

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 02-Feb-15 19:19:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User beezer60
(newbie) Sat 21-Feb-15 03:20:55
Print Post

Zen announced on 9 February 2015 that "With immediate effect all new orders for Fibre 1, Unlimited Fibre 1, Unlimited Fibre 2 and Unlimited Fibre Office can be provisioned as Self-Install,"

https://www.zen.co.uk/latest-news.aspx?page=12057

When I ordered soon after that announcement there was no option for a managed install (not that I wanted one)

They send out Technicolor TG589vn routers now which have a built in modem, but it's a pain to configure for bridge mode

Edited by beezer60 (Sat 21-Feb-15 03:33:36)

Standard User joper_90
(learned) Wed 18-Mar-15 10:22:25
Print Post

[re: beezer60] [link to this post]

I am not impressed with this modem.

Just to say, I have about 20 devices in the house, and 2 switches. All this worked before for a number of years with zero issues.. The only difference in my network is the modem.

IPv6 off on the router and all the hardware.

Problems:

the config page just become non responsive and times out after a while.

It seems to just randomly disconnect IP's (wired) and the whole network (well router + machine/skybox etc) all require a reboot to work.

Any kind of pushing the network will result in odd time outs on the network.

Some devices still will just not get an IP if wired.. at all.. its seems to allow X amount of wired address on, and then kicks some off at random.

Using a couple of machines, with VPN (to the office) seems to cause all sorts of random ip disconnect issues.

Using MSTSC also seems to cause a random freezing of the IP, machine + router reboot required.

Downloading torrents (even limiting the number of connections) causes slowdowns and then a reboot of the internet connection, even if a slow torrent.

It doesn't basically seem to like a lot of connections.. (cheap hardware never does)..

I can only connect to the router via IE, Chrome and FF do not like it.

You get these all the time in the log, which I do not lilke, as it appear that something (china ip) is connecting, then being kicked.. I would prefer them to be blocked from even connecting..

LOGOUT session of user root killed (103.41.125.53)

I may look at getting something more robust, but not sure what options there are.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Mar-15 11:27:42
Print Post

[re: joper_90] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by joper_90:
I can only connect to the router via IE, Chrome and FF do not like it.

<sarcasm> That's smart, considering Microsoft have now dropped IE. </sarcasm>

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Wed 18-Mar-15 21:18:39
Print Post

[re: joper_90] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by joper_90:
It doesn't basically seem to like a lot of connections.. (cheap hardware never does)..

It's not the hardware, it's the software running on it.

Even the cheapest router hardware these days is powerful enough to do most everything a household needs, but so many manufacturers ship their devices with shoddy firmware and never bother to fix things.

That's why i'd never buy something that couldn't be flashed with an open-source firmware like OpenWrt. OpenWrt can enable even a £50 router to give a £500 Cisco a good run for its money. I recently wrote a blog post about some of the things i'm doing with OpenWrt. It's an extremely flexible enterprise-grade router OS.

I don't know why Zen would ship these poor quality modem/routers out. Supplying the OpenReach modem (which are pretty competent at their jobs) along with a £20 router flashed with OpenWrt would provide a much better solution.
Standard User joper_90
(learned) Sat 21-Mar-15 22:16:42
Print Post

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

Well i think its screwed..

Its rebooting (not just disconnecting) every 5-7 mins now.. all day long..
  Print Thread

Jump to