User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ClaretMatt
(newbie) Thu 05-Feb-15 07:51:50
Print Post

Zen Line Rental

[link to this post]

If I want Fibre from Zen I pay £16.99 a month line rental.

If I have home phone alone from Zen I pay £12.30 per month.

Am I missing something here?!

Also, why can't I opt out of the "Free" router?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Feb-15 08:51:58
Print Post

Re: Zen Line Rental

[re: ClaretMatt] [link to this post]

Zen have different line rental products for FTTx bundles compared to other scenarios for marketing reasons. On the FTTx bundle products, the line rental is broadly comparable to BT Retail to make the Internet costs comparable on a like for like basis.

Another facet of this is that taking just FTTx incurs a monthly out of bundle charge, so it would be more expensive to take the Home Phone product and add FTTx (if you were allowed this combination - I doubt think Zen allow it) than to take the bundle.

There are some differences between the bundle line rental products and the Home Phone products - in particular the optional bundle is 5000 minutes on Home Phone and unlimited in the bundle (though they amount to the same thing for almost all conceivable usage patterns).

All this reflects the way fixed Internet access is marketed in the UK, with the headline cost being the cost of the Internet product, with "line rental required at extra cost" being much less prominent. It is very hard for one ISP to change such an established practice. If Zen used the same line rental product for bundles as they sell standalone, their FTTx products would seem more expensive than they are, as people would be unlikely to spot the lower line rental.

Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Fri 17-Apr-15 21:17:51
Print Post

[re: ClaretMatt] [link to this post]

I'm currently shopping around to move my phone service from BT.

Am I correct in seeing Zen monthly line rental currently priced at £17 + VAT (£20.40) when combined with a fibre product?

Surely this puts Zen at a major disadvantage compared to BT advanced payment line rental (12 months for the price of 10 - £169.90)?

OR

The SSE phone only products starting at £12 per month.

The discount for my Fibre Unlimited 1 only connection hardly compensates for a change of phone to Zen.

Interested in views and opinions on this.

Zen Fibre Active 30/5

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Apr-15 00:22:20
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

Line rental on the residential FTTx and phone bundles is currently £16.99 per month including VAT.

Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Tue 21-Apr-15 21:36:29
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks for the clarification.

The Zen website is a bit disorganised, whereby clicking from the Home User section onto Phone FAQs then takes you to pricing for Business Users!

Re-edited after spread sheet correction!!!

I have performed some calculations and it is a close call between the SSE unlimited calls phone package (£20 pm) and Zen offering after the Zen £5.40 pm fibre broadband discount is applied for taking their line rental.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 1 - 30/5

Edited by ToneDeaf (Tue 21-Apr-15 22:04:48)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 21-Apr-15 23:20:39
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ToneDeaf:
Thanks for the clarification.

The Zen website is a bit disorganised, whereby clicking from the Home User section onto Phone FAQs then takes you to pricing for Business Users!

Re-edited after spread sheet correction!!!

I have performed some calculations and it is a close call between the SSE unlimited calls phone package (£20 pm) and Zen offering after the Zen £5.40 pm fibre broadband discount is applied for taking their line rental.

Go for Zen then as the contract period is just 12 months. Buried somewhere in TBB is a recent thread that suggests that a SSE service could see you locked into them for 36 months.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Apr-15 19:47:29
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

The SSE contract is 18 months, switching to a rolling six monthly contract after 18 months instead of the usual month. Also, were quoted £22:50 a month for SSE line and anytime calls if you take their free broadband for two years. I may be a little out of date with Zen line rental after leaving them a few months ago, but the last I heard, line rental was more if you took their fibre and not discounted.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 23-Apr-15 08:32:18
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
The SSE contract is 18 months, switching to a rolling six monthly contract after 18 months instead of the usual month. Also, were quoted £22:50 a month for SSE line and anytime calls if you take their free broadband for two years. I may be a little out of date with Zen line rental after leaving them a few months ago, but the last I heard, line rental was more if you took their fibre and not discounted.

Your comments here seem to be at odds with the comments on this page: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6926-half-price-f...

And of course, not surprisingly, Zen have jigged their prices so that the broadband headline price looks attractive. As always any comparison of service needs to be the sum of the broadband service PLUS the mandatory line rental price.
Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Apr-15 10:59:20
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
In reply to a post by professor973:

Your comments here seem to be at odds with the comments on this page: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6926-half-price-f...

And of course, not surprisingly, Zen have jigged their prices so that the broadband headline price looks attractive. As always any comparison of service needs to be the sum of the broadband service PLUS the mandatory line rental price.

Well, I can see no comments from me now in that link, so if I made them, they have been deleted, which is something I am used to. With regard to the prices and contract length I have stated above, they are a factual quote from EE customer services for our northern home which is supplied by SSE for power and gas, so I don't expect anyone to get a better deal. The bottom line in my opinion, is still that the SSE free broadband deal is not much of a deal at all when compared to my broadband and line for £26, with no contract tie in, with calls under 1p,no call connection charge and per second billing, which applies to fibre also when I switch. Bottom line is, we are all entitled to make our choice and pay what it costs, once we have sorted the clickbait on sites such as this.

Print Thread

Jump to