User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sawyert
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 18:10:12
Print Post

Disappointed

[link to this post]

I've been a Zen customer for many years, so when I recently moved house I thought I'd continue with them.

We checked the phone number for the existing occupants of our new house and found that it could get FTTC. This was an important part of our decision making.

We ordered phone line and FTTC with Zen, and they arranged to call us back on our completion date to progress the order. They never phoned. When I chased the following day, I was told it was because I hadn't paid (they never asked). This was sorted out.

Zen then activated my phone line and cancelled my FTTC order. The new number has been connected to a different exchange to the old number, and the new exchange has no fibre.

I phoned Zen customer services and they agreed to attempt to escalate to BT first thing today, and then they would call me back today. They never phoned.

Not a happy bunny at the moment - I'm looking at ASDL at 6Mb rather than Fibre at 32Mb. My next door neighbour can get FTTC. I can't because I've been routed to a different exchange that doesn't even support FTTC and has no date set.

Has anyone got any pointers as to how I can sort this out?
Standard User jphilip
(member) Mon 23-Feb-15 22:30:56
Print Post

Re: Disappointed

[re: sawyert] [link to this post]

Check both your phone number and address at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If the information returned is different it is possible the database has not been updated with the new number's location.

Did they install new line or re-activate the existing line?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Feb-15 07:47:54
Print Post

[re: jphilip] [link to this post]

Somw postcodes sit astride two exchange areas. Need an address to check, might just be a number port issue and databases will catch up if line only live for a day or two

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sawyert
(newbie) Tue 24-Feb-15 09:41:09
Print Post

Many thanks for that - very interesting, looks like I was wrong about the different exchange

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ shows that we're on the same exchange (and cabinet) as the next door neighbour, but ours shows:

FTTC Range A (Clean) 46.1 33.1 10 6.6 -- 18-Mar-15
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 39 22.4 10 4.8 -- 18-Mar-15

and his shows

FTTC Range A (Clean) 46.1 33.1 10 6.6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 39 22.4 10 4.8 -- Available

I presume this means we can have FTTC next month. The 18-Mar-15 date is about a month after our line was installed, why the delay? And why didn't Zen staff tell us this?

The line was a reactivation of an existing line (the previous number on which we'd already checked to have FTTC available), not a new install.

Tim.
Standard User jphilip
(member) Tue 24-Feb-15 09:46:43
Print Post

I next door already has FTTC it could mean the cabinet is full waiting for new kit.
Standard User jphilip
(member) Tue 24-Feb-15 10:18:05
Print Post

Also entirely possible the new number has just been updated to show your details in the last few days so Zen would have seen it as a different exchange and cabinet.
Standard User sawyert
(newbie) Tue 24-Feb-15 10:23:53
Print Post

Thanks for helping. smile

It'd be nice if Zen had told me this rather than just cancelling my ordering and telling me I can't have FTTC.
ISP Representative mickbzen
(isp) Tue 24-Feb-15 10:26:08
Print Post

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced, can you please advise me of your account details via PM and ill ask a manager in our customer service team to contact you.

Kind Regards

Mick Bolton

ZeN Internet Customer Services
ZeN are recruiting!
Click here to view the opportunities available.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Feb-15 13:48:00
Print Post

If available to a property that has it and not to a new customer on cabinet suggests cabinet may be at capacity with an expected more capacity date of in March.

In theory should have been communicated better from Zen

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sawyert
(newbie) Thu 19-Mar-15 09:57:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The date for FTTC availability has just moved out another month, so it's now saying mid April. My neighbour's line still says "Available". I asked Zen what this meant and they said:

"Regarding Fibre availability it will always depend where in the exchange you are
located, your neighbour could be in a completely different part of the exchange and
this is the part that BT are currently converting to Fibre."

Could someone please explain to me how things work at the exchange end? I always understood that exchanges were enabled or not.

Cheers,

Tim.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to