User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nrms
(member) Sun 22-Mar-15 08:24:58
Print Post

What is this Order?

[link to this post]

I appear to have an order live on my account, labelled as "Zen Fibre GEA Migration".

What is this?
I didnít place this order as it was placed at a time I could not have possibly done it myself, as I was driving my car to Leicester at the time.

What is a Zen Fibre GEA Migration anyway?
I already have Fibre Broadband....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Mar-15 09:55:23
Print Post

Re: What is this Order?

[re: nrms] [link to this post]

Moving you to a different FTTC service within their portfolio or the Zen backhaul network is not at the exchange so moving you off of WBC FTTC to the pure GEA-FTTC. The difference Zen pick up the data without any BT Wholesale WBC network involvement

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative Zappardy
(isp) Sun 22-Mar-15 18:22:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Moving you to a different FTTC service within their portfolio or the Zen backhaul network is not at the exchange so moving you off of WBC FTTC to the pure GEA-FTTC. The difference Zen pick up the data without any BT Wholesale WBC network involvement

What he said. Saves them a few quid but otherwise won't affect your services.

Zappardy

Your eyes are weary from staring at the TFT. You feel sleepy. Notice how restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The opinions stated above are yours. You cannot imagine why you ever felt otherwise.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Mar-15 07:32:53
Print Post

As has been said, this order is to move your FTTC service from delivery via BT Wholesale WBMC to delivery using Openreach GEA-FTTC over the Zen backhaul network.

Zen continue to roll out their network, and will use it to provide backhaul wherever possible.

You will notice a short period of downtime at the actual migration, and might notice a change in your first hop latency, but apart from that your service will continue as before.

Standard User nrms
(member) Tue 24-Mar-15 08:35:01
Print Post

Thanks all for the responses and answers, Zen confirmed it was an internal order, here's hoping it doesn't adversely affect my currently excellent service.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 24-Mar-15 08:46:07
Print Post

It should make it better. Zen would no longer be subject to BT backhaul capacity problems like they are in Carluke for example.

____________________________________________________________________________Information_without_perspective_is_a_higher_form_of_ignorance________
Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Wed 25-Mar-15 09:22:23
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
As has been said, this order is to move your FTTC service from delivery via BT Wholesale WBMC to delivery using Openreach GEA-FTTC over the Zen backhaul network.

Zen continue to roll out their network, and will use it to provide backhaul wherever possible.

Is there any easy way to work out how my Fibre package is delivered? I know Zen have a PoP in Bedford and my fibre cabinet has fibre supplied from the Bedford exchange rather than my own exchange a few km south of the town. I imagine that ought to imply that my traffic hits Zen's network almost immediately but I have no idea how to tell.

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2
Standard User jphilip
(member) Wed 25-Mar-15 11:03:51
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

At portal.zen.co.uk look at View Line Data and see what it says in Current line technology.
Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Wed 25-Mar-15 14:52:48
Print Post

[re: jphilip] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jphilip:
At portal.zen.co.uk look at View Line Data and see what it says in Current line technology.

Oh yes, thanks. It didn't stand out so took me a moment to find it.

WBMC currently, I wonder if GEA-FTTC will become available soon? Assuming it's worth having it...

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2
  Print Thread

Jump to