User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User knight01
(regular) Wed 01-Apr-15 19:27:44
Print Post

G.INP and ECI Modem on Zen internet

[link to this post]

Looks like I've been affected by a large speed drop and increased latency caused by G.INP and ECI modem issues being reported in the Fibre Broadband discussion heading.
I have a ECI modem which was installed Jan. 2014 by BT when I regraded to FTTC and until Sunday I had a stable 74Mb/s download - 7ms ping. Now I get 63Mb/s and 15-17ms ping.

Normal speed and ping: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4200894764

Latest speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4258231004

just now sent Zen an e-mail regarding this issue and how can I get back to normal speed and ping.

I have a spare HG612 I purchased in Dec. 2013 or early Jan. 2014 before regraded to FTTC, I don't know which firmware it has.
If I swap the installed ECI modem with the HG612, will the hg612 auto update to the latest firmware that supports G.INP and I can get back to the normal speed and ping.

Edited by knight01 (Wed 01-Apr-15 19:28:24)

Standard User hopeless
(member) Wed 01-Apr-15 20:44:30
Print Post

Re: G.INP and ECI Modem on Zen internet

[re: knight01] [link to this post]

That looks like interleaving. My connection did the same last week.

Leave things as they are and it should sort itself within the next couple of days.
Standard User bet_here
(regular) Wed 01-Apr-15 21:24:04
Print Post

[re: hopeless] [link to this post]

My latency increased last week after a 'national outage'. I've been told I'm now routed via Manchester instead of London (I'm in Brighton), and this may or may not revert back sometime.

Simon.

Edited by bet_here (Wed 01-Apr-15 21:26:24)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kadison44
(committed) Fri 03-Apr-15 12:20:45
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

Coming from the other thread in Fibre Broadband, I've emailed Zen again this morning about this.

It isn't Zen's fault but I just want to know what's going on, and I think they're in a better position to hassle BT than me!

kadison44
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Apr-15 12:55:07
Print Post

[re: kadison44] [link to this post]

The problem you are seeing is the ECI modem not being compatible with G.INP which has been rolled out to every Huawei cabinet in the UK which was completed at the end of March.

The symptoms are reduced speed (about 12mb) and increased ping by about 15 to 20ms.

This is not caused by DLM or Interleave - it's the modem not being compatible with BT's G.INP transmission.

An engineer visit will NOT fix the issue (trust me I have gone this route) DLM will be reset by a BT engineer, the connection will be great for a day or so and then it will revert back to same as before with G.INP being reapplied to the line.

Possible fixes..

1) Wait for BT's modem management team to deploy firmware updates to affected ECI modems - which BT claim will happen in the coming weeks. (I personally don't believe them)

2) Buy a HG612 modem from various sources such as eBay etc. The HG612 is compatible with G.INP with SP08 firmware and you will get your speed and ping back to normal.

3) Buy a compatible all in one solution like Billion routers and zyxel routers.

Other than that there is no other option. Don't not get a BT engineer out for this as you will only incur your self charges and hassle.

Zen Fibre
ROUTER:-Asus Dark Knight
JDSU Stats
Attainable 105977D 38659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 5.4 SNR: Down 13.1 Up 24.3
Line Length 80meters

Edited by lockyatlrg (Fri 03-Apr-15 12:58:27)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Apr-15 13:16:46
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

Thanks for the clarification Chris.

My plan of action is here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4400507-re-...

Shall wait and see what transpires over the next month or so.

I hate BT. frown

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User knight01
(regular) Fri 03-Apr-15 13:17:08
Print Post

I emailed Zen regarding the issue few days ago, I received a reply from them.

Zen are aware of the issues affecting ECI modem and G.INP.

Here is the quote from their reply:

"Unfortunately, we are seeing problems being reported when the modem on a line does not support G.INP. These lines automatically have interleaving applied, even if they previously did not require it. This can result in lower sync rates and high latency.

Connecting a device compliant with G.INP should see an improvement. The only Zen supplied device that is not compliant is one type of ECI modem, which would need a firmware update to ensure compliance. Unfortunately you do appear to have this modem on your line."

They said BT are remotely sending out Firmware updates to these devices and will take few weeks to process.

I have a HG612 3B, I installed the unlocked SP08 firmware. But I'm still undecided if I should replace the ECI with the HG612 or stick with ECI for now and see if the firmware gets updated.

Edited by knight01 (Fri 03-Apr-15 13:23:43)

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Apr-15 13:23:12
Print Post

[re: knight01] [link to this post]

BT can not push firmware to modems through lines that already have G.inp applied, unless they have another way of doing it, me personally doesn't believe it.

Zen Fibre
ROUTER:-Asus Dark Knight
JDSU Stats
Attainable 105977D 38659U
Sync 79999D 20000U
Attenuation: 5.4 SNR: Down 13.1 Up 24.3
Line Length 80meters
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Apr-15 14:24:41
Print Post

Which version of the ECI modem do you have ? B focus V-2FUb/r rev B or a different version , as the reason for it not aquiring the G.inp FW following a reset of DLM may be down to which version of the ECI you have, just a theory

But as you say the ECI won't be able to upgrade it's fw remotely without G.inp being de actvated first (DLM reset) most BT engineers should be aware of this problem,
Some with the ECI modem have been left without internet access because of this, where the modem appears to sync (dsl led lit) but isnt
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Apr-15 15:17:14
Print Post

Is there a technical reason thst stops new firmware being sent?. Just trying to understand

IanD
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to