User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Corona
(member) Tue 21-Apr-15 20:46:08
Print Post

Downstream/Sync rate trending downwards

[link to this post]

Dear All

As a happy Zen FTTC Unlimited 2 customer I rarely have cause to contact ISP or indeed visit the customer portal.

Perusing today however, after some months, I note the downstream/sync rate has steadily declined from 80001 in 9/2014 to 67920 in 4/2015.

No complaints regardless as simply wondered what might account for the steady slide and what, if anything, might be done to address.

Thoughts welcome..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Apr-15 21:36:36
Print Post

Re: Downstream/Sync rate trending downwards

[re: Corona] [link to this post]

Dlm reacting to errors or just more crosstalk as fttc becomes popular. Vectoring should claw most of that back once finally deployed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Corona
(member) Tue 21-Apr-15 22:23:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you Mr Saffron.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Apr-15 23:42:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I experienced the same - I was probably one of the early FTTC users in the cabinet and the sync rate steadily went down from 80000 to about 75000 during that time. The infroduction of G.INP in March without vectoring seems to have restored everything to full speed again. I'm using a Cisco 887VA router without an Openreach modem.

Not everyone has reported good results with G.INP and some modems (even Openreeach ones) do sync at slower speeds. I have seen this with Draytek VDSL equipment. I wonder if some of the speed loss you are seeing is due to G.INP and an incompatible modem. On one of the Drayteks I've seen speed go from about 75000 down to 59000 - largely due to G.INP.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Tue 21-Apr-15 23:46:48)

Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Wed 22-Apr-15 11:08:36
Print Post

[re: Corona] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Corona:
Dear All

As a happy Zen FTTC Unlimited 2 customer I rarely have cause to contact ISP or indeed visit the customer portal.

Perusing today however, after some months, I note the downstream/sync rate has steadily declined from 80001 in 9/2014 to 67920 in 4/2015.

No complaints regardless as simply wondered what might account for the steady slide and what, if anything, might be done to address.

Thoughts welcome..

Can you check the actual sync the modem is seeing? My HG612 is saying slighly different numbers from the Zen line data and any resyncs (which have become much rarer with G.INP) are rarely picked up. Someone else reported that Zen are concerned about their systems not getting line data in all cases.

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2
Standard User lenaspell
(committed) Sun 26-Apr-15 18:38:12
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

That's interesting as I had reason to go and check my download usage and whilst doing so thought I'd check round on the other statistics while I was there.

Back around 20 March I had a very rare total failure of no internet connection at all quite late in the evening and just a couple of days before heading to the USA for several weeks. So I rebooted my Netgear Router as well as turning off and then back on the BT hub thing. No change so went to bed and resolved to sort it out next morning. When I got up the next morning all was working again and thus thought no more about it until my return the other day.

However having synced at 79999 for as long as I can remember and certainly confirmed by the first two pages of stats provided by Zen I dropped to 72158 on 29th March and increased slightly to 72435 on 30 March and again at those speeds on 4 April and 9 April (all whilst I was away). So not a huge drop but no idea why it should have happened. No changes to equipment this end.

Len

Zen Fibre Active. Router Netgear N300 WNR2000.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit and iMac 9.1 running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion smile
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Apr-15 19:10:14
Print Post

[re: lenaspell] [link to this post]

In my case, the Zen portal shows my sync speed dropping from 79987/19999 to 79912/19978 on 17 March at 03:13. I suspect this was something to do with G.INP being enabled on the cabinet (I am on a Huawei cabinet).

I don't want to unlock my Openreach supplied HG612, so I don't have access to the statistics from my end. I will probably buy a spare issue 3B HG612 from the well-known auction site and unlock that.

Standard User kadison44
(committed) Tue 26-May-15 12:37:01
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
I wonder if some of the speed loss you are seeing is due to G.INP and an incompatible modem.

This is highly likely. I, along with many others have seen their connection drop to this exact speed due to the street cabinet being G.INP enabled and having been given an ECI G.INP incompatible modem.

Got fed up with it in the end and bought a Huawei HG612 from eBay and have seen my speed and latency virtually restored overnight.

Really begrudged having to spend money sorting out Openreach's mess but it assumed would be a very long time before they pulled their fingers out and fixed it (if they ever would bother "because it still works doesn't it?")

kadison44

Edited by kadison44 (Tue 26-May-15 15:53:18)

Print Thread

Jump to