User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Mon 11-May-15 20:36:46
Print Post

Zen Line Rental Plus

[link to this post]

I have been connected to Zen Line Rental Plus (transferred from BT) from today.

In my Customer Portal my "free minutes remaining" is showing as - 44640

I thought that the monthly allowance was 5000 minutes.

Is this an introductory bonus?? smile

Zen Unlimited Fibre 1 - 30/5
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-May-15 20:52:29
Print Post

Re: Zen Line Rental Plus

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

Zen Line Rental Plus, line rental in a phone + FTTC bundle with a call bundle, is completely unlimited. The portal shows this as 44640 minutes limit (60 minutes * 24 hours in a day * 31 days in the longest months).

Zen Home Talk Plus, the phone only product with a call bundle, has a 5000 minute monthly limit. This is effectively unlimited for almost any conceivable residential usage scenario.

Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Mon 11-May-15 21:12:33
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks for the prompt reply David.

Is it just me or does the Zen website lack clarity about this bundle offering?

I can see plenty of references to Home Talk products and assumed that the 5000 inclusive minutes also applied to Fibre customers taking the inclusive calls package.

I have stated several times before on these forums that the Zen Website and Customer Portal are overdue a complete redesign - especially due to cross linking between business and home user areas causing confusing in product offerings and pricing. Overall it has become a clumsy website with bits just added on as new products are launched.

Anyway, I am delighted at the information which you have relayed about my new product.

PS - EDIT - No wonder I am confused!!!
https://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/fibre-op...

Reference to 5000 inclusive minutes!!

Zen Unlimited Fibre 1 - 30/5

Edited by ToneDeaf (Mon 11-May-15 21:27:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 09:25:13
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

Maybe this will be changed when the website is redesigned for the introduction of ipv6.

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited- but no ipv6)
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 11:31:25
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
The portal shows this as 44640 minutes limit (60 minutes * 24 hours in a day * 31 days in the longest months).

*shakes head*

Zen certainly do seem to have a bizarre way of applying "unlimited" values to things. I mean, they have unlimited broadband packages, right? (we are both on one). Under the same logical reasoning as who ever came up with the bright idea for this way of modelling unlimited minutes, one would assume that they have applied 25 terabytes per month (10MB*60*60*24*31 = 26784000MB ~ 25TB) for the fastest possible FTTC broadband (80/20) just to ensure an unlimited service (300Mb FTTP would need something like 150TB).

But they haven't, have they? I don't see any weird value like that anywhere on my Zen portal.

Python has a useful numerical concept for exactly this purpose - inf - why oh why they don't use this similar convention to model unlimited minutes, rather than plucking 44640 out of the air, is beyond me.

But anyway, I guess it works. Still confusing to see in a end-user interface though (in my opinion).

Zen Unlimited Fibre | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Tue 12-May-15 11:39:34)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-May-15 18:53:53
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

that's what you get when the ISP is staffed with technical people rather than marketing people.

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to