User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Jun-15 12:59:48
Print Post

Congested gateways?

[link to this post]

Whilst on gateway 62.3.84.17, I have been seeing rock steady speeds. A disconnection yesterday (not my doing) has now put me on gateway 62.3.84.19, and I have to say, the speed tests don't look that brilliant any more.

http://lnx.co/tbb/st/zen/

Having been floating around the PlusNet forums with their capacity issues, I hope Zen isn't now going the same way.

I know Zen had (maybe still have?) load balancing issue with their gateways, in that, if a problem surfaces, customers can sometimes all re-connect unevenly and Zen have to take manual steps to forcefully disconnect customers to re-balance them across their gateways. Is this still the case?

Zen Unlimited Fibre | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Fri 05-Jun-15 13:00:41)

Standard User iMiMiMx
(newbie) Tue 07-Jul-15 10:42:52
Print Post

Re: Congested gateways?

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Did you get any response from Zen on this, or did you open a ticket? I'm seeing similar things (usually with DSL4, the same as you) although I've also seen it with DSL1 and DSL2.

Am fighting a similar battle, having only been a customer for 10 days, information coming back is generally poor and just 'wait and see if it happens again, as it's not happening now'.
Standard User iMiMiMx
(newbie) Tue 07-Jul-15 10:54:17
Print Post

[re: iMiMiMx] [link to this post]

The times from your graphs fit with what I was seeing - latency up to 80-90s through to BBC - they also line up with the Andy Murray game at Wimbledon started/finished more or less. For the graphs from yesterday any way, looking at the link in your footer.

Edited by iMiMiMx (Tue 07-Jul-15 10:54:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jul-15 11:49:34
Print Post

I never opened a ticket. The issue resolved itself after a few days of me posting my original post here. Though I notice it has been quite bad for the last couple of days again.

I normally give these things a few days to resolve, and if it's only a couple of days a month, I'm normally not too bothered by it. If things were consistently this bad, to the point where this is actually noticeable whilst using the connection, I'd probably open a ticket.

Zen Unlimited Fibre | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User iMiMiMx
(newbie) Tue 07-Jul-15 12:06:07
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Just a call back from Zen - finally from a chap who understands what he is talking about and how to deliver customer service - apparently there was work done on DSL4 last night, shortly after 2am, things are much improved so far today for me. However, I guess we'll see when there is another high profile streaming event - i.e next Murray game etc.
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Thu 09-Jul-15 17:57:36
Print Post

Would you 2 mind letting me know if you see the issue again please.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Service Assurance Engineer
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
Online.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User iMiMiMx
(newbie) Thu 09-Jul-15 19:07:44
Print Post

[re: Azzaka] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Latency issues are better, but then Andy Murray hasn't been playing today - the last 2 instances were when he was playing, on a variety of gateways. smile

I still have the PPP resetting issue (not the HG612 issue) more or less confident this is when UDP traffic is the primary protocol over the link, as per my other thread on here and on Kitz, Scott@Zen (Technical Support Team Coach) has escalated to the NOC with my data/analysis and am awaiting to hear back...
Standard User aparat
(newbie) Thu 09-Jul-15 19:11:53
Print Post

That is how my speed tests look like.

Technical saying there is no problem, well strange because downloads from websites and tbb file download shows 4-5 MB/s where steam and as on test x6 downloads looks like they should 9 MB. Wonder why is that and why its like that for over a month now

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Thu 09-Jul-15 19:24:24
Print Post

Taa Mate.

I'll chase scott and see where he's up to with it.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Service Assurance Engineer
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
Online.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User iMiMiMx
(newbie) Thu 09-Jul-15 19:27:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Azzaka:
Taa Mate.

I'll chase scott and see where he's up to with it.

He's off for a couple of days I think, but has asked one of his Fault Managers to follow it up with me/chase the NOC guys tomorrow. I assume you guys do 4-on-4-off or something? smile

Edited by iMiMiMx (Thu 09-Jul-15 19:28:07)

Print Thread

Jump to