User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndrewW
(member) Sun 07-Jun-15 16:33:43
Print Post

Can I relay SMTP

[link to this post]

I've got a small SMTP server ( in my network (no access from the internet i.e outbound only)).

The sole use of this server will be to filter who my son can sent emails.
So his client connects to my smtp the To: address is validated and then the email will be relayed to Zen,
trouble is its not working
I get the following back from the zen email servers

Jun 7 16:19:26 hostname postfix/smtp[14383]: 918BB141AB5: to=<me@mydomain>, relay=mailhost.zen.co.uk[212.23.3.98]:25, delay=0.26, delays=0.14/0.01/0.07/0.05, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 OK id=1Z1cLs-0000ce-TY)

From my understanding dsn=2.0.0 means the upstream server has accepted the email, but the email does not arrive and there is no bounce back,

Do Zen actively block email relays ?

Many Thanks
Andrew

Pipex(dial up => adsl) => Nildram => Zen
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Tue 23-Jun-15 08:31:14
Print Post

Re: Can I relay SMTP

[re: AndrewW] [link to this post]

Morning,

We do not block authenticated Relay. If you have a Broadband account with us, you will be able to relay your domain mails through us.

However it is worth noting, that if you have an OpenRelay on your side, your account will be suspended so please make sure you use Auth Relay. Also when sending, instead of a 'Relay' try using Direct Send via DNS. This will still allow sending via the BB connection, however instead of using our mail servers it will send directly to the Recipient.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Service Assurance Engineer
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
Online.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jun-15 16:20:37
Print Post

[re: Azzaka] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Azzaka:
Also when sending, instead of a 'Relay' try using Direct Send via DNS. This will still allow sending via the BB connection, however instead of using our mail servers it will send directly to the Recipient.

Advice literally anyone with sense would not follow. Practically any major blacklist treats ISP issued ranges for end users as "likely to be spam" so you'll find a lot of messages won't ever arrive.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Jun-15 17:40:48
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

Indeed, I had this issue recently with Google either marking emails originating from my broadband connection as spam, or in the worst case, actually rejecting them entirely.

Fixed by applying appropriate SPF records on my domain and making sure all reverse DNS records are correct. Don't experience any issues with Google at all now.

Zen Unlimited Fibre | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Thu 25-Jun-15 17:41:25)

Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Thu 25-Jun-15 17:48:31
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
Indeed, I had this issue recently with Google either marking emails originating from my broadband connection as spam, or in the worst case, actually rejecting them entirely.

Fixed by applying appropriate SPF records on my domain and making sure all reverse DNS records are correct. Don't experience any issues with Google at all now.

All these things are good, as is having a static IP address (which makes the reverse DNS much easier).

I've had exactly this setup since 1995, it's caused essentially zero problems.

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 sync
  Print Thread

Jump to