User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 06-Jul-15 07:20:52
Print Post

RADIUS, exchange or my own router issue last night?

[link to this post]

Am on the Bradwell Abbey exchange and about 7.50 last night I lost PPP

The router (Billion 8800NL with 2.32e firmware) indicated it was in sync, clicked reconnect and it showed connecting for about 5 minutes and the connect button appeared again as if it had given up.

Rebooted, it resynced, but again stuck on connecting.

The router's own diagnostics were showing it was in sync and had negotiated a PPP session with the PPP server but authentication had failed.

It took a further rebboot to restore service.

It crossed my mind that the exchange kit (am on a Zen LLU circuit) might not support SRA and PhyR so have disabled these this morning (off out to work shortly) but just wondered if there were any issues last night?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 06-Jul-15 07:25:52
Print Post

Re: RADIUS, exchange or my own router issue last night?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Which gateway - DSL4 ?
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 06-Jul-15 07:57:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No way of telling as was just browsing (and someone else in the house was watching Netflix) when it went down and of course s trace route would stop at the router.

I do connect through the access routers at Williams House (wh-man) though.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ZenUserJP
(learned) Mon 06-Jul-15 11:48:58
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

there were a few faults overnight and i think there is work going on around manchester?
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Fri 10-Jul-15 11:54:57
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Just to let everyone know and to be fair to Zen.

A member of Technical Support PMed me and looked into this.

It appears to be just one of those things that happens with ADSL as there was no apparent cause and it's been OK since.

Good service from them as usual.

Router: Billion 8800NL
  Print Thread

Jump to