User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CaptainJack
(member) Fri 11-Sep-15 16:50:53
Print Post

To cancel or not...

[link to this post]

Following my woes in this thread, and Zen's reluctance to help out, I am wondering whether to jump ship before I even started. I am still within the 14 day cancellation period, which states:
11.3 Once the Broadband Services have been activated and are available for you to use, you may only end this Agreement by notice equal to the Minimum Cancellation Notice Period of 14 days, to expire any time on or after the Minimum Service Period, which, as stated at point of sale are:
a) 30 days in the case of ADSL Services; or
b) 12 months in the case of an ADSL Service transfer from an LLU provider.

I want to speak to someone like AAISP and see if they would be willing to take me (and my moaning) on. I think my line can do much better than it is but is it worth the hassle?

----
Vivaciti (Enta) ADSL2 19Mbit
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3071694493

Edited by CaptainJack (Fri 11-Sep-15 16:54:16)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-15 18:33:56
Print Post

Re: To cancel or not...

[re: CaptainJack] [link to this post]

my view would be to move the service to a 40M/xx service and just stick with that, you will not notice the difference.

As to if your line can support >42M, it could be that you need to look at your local wiring etc. You could decide to stay with what you have and try to fix.

I was in a similar position and did cancel. I used the cancel period to fault find. I went back to my previous provider for about 6 mths and then moved to another one. In the end I did a lot of work on my home phone cabling which fixed most issues. I can get 80/20 but I am just on a 40/20 service.

IanD
Standard User 961a
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-15 18:46:42
Print Post

As someone who is on ADSL at 7 Mbps can I venture to ask how, in practical day to day use, one is unhappy if your connection runs att 40 Mbps rather than 50?

Unless you have a family of 5 children, all on their laptops playing mega speed games at the same time, how do you tell your fibre is running at 40 instead of 50? What problem does it cause?

I can well understand how some can feel short changed if they are paying for infinty 2 and only getting infinity 1 but, in practical terms, unless you run a speed checker, how do you tell the difference?

Just asking

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CaptainJack
(member) Fri 11-Sep-15 19:05:03
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

That's not the point. The point is that I think there's something wrong with my line and Zen are completely turning a blind eye on it. It's the attitude that I would like to get away from rather than the speeds. Perhaps move to someone that actually cares...

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Sep-15 19:32:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by CaptainJack:
Following my woes in this thread, and Zen's reluctance to help out, I am wondering whether to jump ship before I even started. I am still within the 14 day cancellation period, which states:
11.3 Once the Broadband Services have been activated and are available for you to use, you may only end this Agreement by notice equal to the Minimum Cancellation Notice Period of 14 days, to expire any time on or after the Minimum Service Period, which, as stated at point of sale are:
a) 30 days in the case of ADSL Services; or
b) 12 months in the case of an ADSL Service transfer from an LLU provider.

I want to speak to someone like AAISP and see if they would be willing to take me (and my moaning) on. I think my line can do much better than it is but is it worth the hassle?
Regardless of which ISP they would still need enough evidence of a fault, If an engineer did visit your home and wasn't able to find any network fault their side that would cause the low sync speed, However if they found issues on your side of the master socket to be at fault the ISP would be charged and no doubt would pass that on to you

My attenuation is 13.8db i have always apart from short periods (dlm) had the full rates I'm around 300-50mtrs from the FTTC cab

but as said the incoming BT cable in close proximity to the mains power isn't good, and not just for your bb but probably some of your neighbours also

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 11-Sep-15 20:38:28)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Sep-15 19:38:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by CaptainJack:
Following my woes in this thread, and Zen's reluctance to help out, I am wondering whether to jump ship before I even started. I am still within the 14 day cancellation period

There is no 14 day cancellation period for Fibre Broadband - the terms you linked to are for ADSL services and set the notice for terminating an active ADSL connection as 14 days to expire on or after the minimum service period. They do not give a cooling off period for an activated service..

Clause 12 of the Fibre Broadband terms and conditions, especially 12.3 and 12.7, gives your rights now your FTTC service is active. You can only end the contract by paying off the entire 12 month minimum period or if the service falls below the standards set out in clause 12.7.

The reality is that you were given an estimate of 50Mbit/s downstream and you've finished up with 85% of that - disappointing, but an estimate is a best guess, not a promise. The state of your wiring, especially the proximity to the incoming electricity feed, sounds sub-optimal but Openreach are unlikely to accept that the circuit is faulty if the only fault is a VDSL2 downstream sync speed 15% below the bottom of the 'clean' range. If Zen sent an Openreach engineer who reported 'no fault found', you'd land up with a visit charge to pay.

It's worth carrying out a quiet line test using a corded phone to see if there's any detectable mains hum on the line. If there is, report a voice fault. If not, there's probably little you can do as Openreach are very unlikely to carry out cabling work in an attempt to improve FTTC speed when there is no outright fault.

Standard User keith969
(learned) Fri 11-Sep-15 19:42:31
Print Post

There's no guarantee that you will resolve the problem with another ISP. It may be just that your line, or your internal wiring, is not up to it. Unfortunately the marketing "up to 76MBp/s" stuff is just not realistic, nor speed predictions.

I'd probably cancel if I were you. You may be better off keeping with ADSL as its a lot cheaper. Depends on what you you want - if you don't download movies, big files etc then ADSL is fine for browsing, email, Skype etc.

Alas broadband is a funny old world and is not comparable to other services. I get a decent water pressure for what I pay for, my electricity is at the 230V standard (and that's cabled like the phone line) and no problems with gas either. With broadband you are taking a gamble, and many people lose and can do zilch about it. This all comes back to BT and their monopoly over the infrastructure and unwillingness to improve it. Privatisation did nothing to improve their services.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Fri 11-Sep-15 20:09:10
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

did you have a managed install engineer come and change face place or did you pcp install with no engineer visit
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Fri 11-Sep-15 20:26:29
Print Post

if you had a self install that means your speeds then move to impacted rather than clean as liklely the internal wiring is at faulyt or the wiring behind the socket -- the network will deliver at the termination point -- fastman always recommends a managed install -- you can lose up 5 meg per each extension socket you have in the house
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Fri 11-Sep-15 20:28:11
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

if you had a self install that means your speeds then move to impacted as likely the internal wiring is at fault or the wiring behind the socket -- the network will deliver at the termination point -- fastman always recommends a managed install -- you can lose 5 meg per each extension socket you have in the house
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to