User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JCDenhouse
(newbie) Mon 21-Sep-15 19:27:21
Print Post

New order with Zen - activation charges

[link to this post]

I had a terrible experience trying to sign up for EE Broadband, so decided to try with Zen today. My flat is part of a new build and there's already a phone socket in the flat itself, but since I'm the first resident, the line (if it exists) is not active.

Since Zen require a phone number to sign up online, I rang them up on my mobile today to place the order for a broadband + line rental package. I told them my address and mentioned that there was already a socket in the flat. I was told that an engineer would have to come to the flat itself to install a new line, costing £118.80. In addition, I've been charged another £48 for the activation at the cabinet.

I went along with all of it, not knowing anything about the infrastructure of these things, and also under the assurance that BT charge £130 for the same installation (actually, it seems that if you order home broadband + line rental from BT, there is a single fee for a new line rather than two, and it costs considerably less).

I've since spoken to my neighbour in the flat next door. He had an engineer come out for his EE order and apparently the engineer came into his flat, took a reading from the existing socket, then went out and activated the line from the cabinet - no actual rewiring took place inside his flat. So am I right in saying that the £118.80 installation fee shouldn't actually be necessary? Even if I did need a new line installed, surely there shouldn't have been an activation fee on top of that anyway?

I'm obviously going to get back in touch with Zen, but was wondering if anyone has an idea what the situation is and what it should be.

EDIT: Just checked my Order Progress. The Broadband Provision (£48 + £16p/m) has status

"LLU - Check sim order has been matched by Openreach - IN PROGRESS FOR 3 HOURS"

while the Line Rental Activation (£118 + £17p/m) has status

"Has order been delayed for more than 1 day? - FAILED 21/09/2015 15:30"

Edited by JCDenhouse (Mon 21-Sep-15 19:29:08)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Mon 21-Sep-15 19:55:03
Print Post

Re: New order with Zen - activation charges

[re: JCDenhouse] [link to this post]

I had both of them when I went from ADSL between someone else and Zen. The activation process is a bit weird but it all works out in the end. The line rental activation should be pending I think but as they are going to do a SIM provide both will activate at the same time anyway.

Call them - they will sort it for you.
Standard User jphilip
(member) Mon 21-Sep-15 21:00:05
Print Post

My understanding is that in a new build the phone socket and wiring will have been installed by the developer and there is a charge for BT to do whatever work is required at the exchange/cabinet and possibly in the basement/comms area of the block.

If ordering line + broadband from BT they may well waive or reduce the charges but I doubt that option is available to Zen.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ZenInternetPR
(newbie) Wed 23-Sep-15 12:15:28
Print Post

Dear JCDenhouse,

Because there is no active phone line at the property, an engineer would typically visit the premises to ensure all internal wiring is intact and to confirm your line has been successfully installed – this is the £118 telephone line activation fee.

As you’ve taken two services from us – telephone and broadband – there are two activation fees (£118 for your telephone, £48 for your broadband). These fees are something which other providers also charge, but they may choose to recoup the cost by binding you into longer term contracts whereas we have just one month rolling contracts.

We’re more than happy to talk through further – if you provide your contact details in a private message, we'll get in touch.

Thanks,

Zen
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Sep-15 12:40:59
Print Post

[re: ZenInternetPR] [link to this post]

Mis read which bb product type the op ordered wow £48 to activate adsl2+ services , FTTC is cheaper

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 23-Sep-15 12:44:50)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Wed 23-Sep-15 19:50:33
Print Post

[re: ZenInternetPR] [link to this post]

You really DO need to get verified. I as a customer won't accept anything you say as official OR true until you do

Sorry but that's just the way it is on public forums
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Sep-15 19:56:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by JCDenhouse:
I had a terrible experience trying to sign up for EE Broadband, so decided to try with Zen today. My flat is part of a new build and there's already a phone socket in the flat itself, but since I'm the first resident, the line (if it exists) is not active.

And that's the real thing that matters - the Openreach charge is the same regardless, where there is no active line (as in still has dial tone), regardless of whether any infrastructure at all exists - this can be good news (when you have a lot of cabling to be installed including street works) or bad (when it's not a big job). It's the same though for all, except in that one limited case.

On that score at least, all is exactly as I would expect.
Administrator seb
(founder) Thu 24-Sep-15 10:14:42
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
You really DO need to get verified. I as a customer won't accept anything you say as official OR true until you do

Sorry - this delay has been down to us. Apologies.

Sebastien Lahtinen
Co-Founder,
thinkbroadband.com
seb@thinkbroadband.com

personal blog - blog.seb.me.uk
twitter - @sebtweet
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Thu 24-Sep-15 12:12:18
Print Post

[re: seb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by seb:
In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:

Sorry - this delay has been down to us. Apologies.

No problem Seb - Thank you for replying.
ISP Representative ZenInternetPR
(isp) Fri 25-Sep-15 08:45:25
Print Post

[re: seb] [link to this post]

Thank you for sorting, Seb smile
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to