User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Wed 30-Sep-15 06:41:02
Print Post

Connection Drops?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I am with Zen as I can't fault their enthusiasm and helpfulness. I've also put a friend on to Zen as well. We're both on different exchanges. We're both on ADSL Max (up to 8Mbps). I'm close to the exchange with a downstream attenuation of 9 or thereabouts and they are super close with an attenuation of 2! (sadly both EO lines and no chance of fibre)

We're both having similar issues where the connection seems to stall (not lose sync but an unusable connection). Zen are being very helpful on this I have to say but thought I'd ask if anyone else has any experience like this. I'm told by Zen that the issues we experience are authentication drops, PPP drops and occasionally sync lost altogether. Both of us have tried different kit (routers, filters, RJ11) neither of us have any extensions on the line - purely the master socket. Looked for Shine with the radio trick, seems fine, tried double filtering as both lines are very close to the exchange, couldn't connect, tried a whole host of things actually. BT been out and can't find fault.........

All that aside, I just thought I'd ask if anybody else experiences anything similar or if anyone might have any suggestion at all as to what might be causing this?

Edit - I really should reaffirm that Zen have been/are being fabulous and I cannot fault their service in trying to remedy this, they really are going above and beyond. I'm simply trying to gauge whether this may be an issue that happens to others and if so, how did they fix it?

Edited by smiffy12 (Wed 30-Sep-15 06:45:46)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 10:24:15
Print Post

Re: Connection Drops?

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

Are you both on the same exchange? Could be you are both on the same line card and that's faulty? I think a line card takes 50 connections? might be wrong there.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Sep-15 10:37:35
Print Post

Re: Connection Drops?

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

If authentication drops that should show up in modem logs.

Are ping streams e.g. ping -t www.thinkbroadband.com showing the stalls/gaps

IPStream Max exchanges can have more congestion issues due to the older and generally smaller backhaul present and it may be that i.e. growth of video is making demands on the old network before it reaches the more modern WBC or ISP nodes

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to