User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Binary_Digit
(learned) Thu 01-Oct-15 23:13:18
Print Post

LLU Line dropping under load.

[link to this post]

Having an ongoing issue with my new Zen LLU broadband.

Moved from a Comms World BTW provided connection to Zen's LLU Adsl earlier in the month.
Now despite there being congestion on the BTW product (confirmed by my supplier) it was stable with many days uptime on a 6db profile on fast path. Syncing in the high 5000 to low 6000. It even switched down to a 3db profile where I was seeing high 6000/low 7000 syncs and fairly stable.

Now after the switch the first day I was seeing a high 5000 sync but the next day the line dropped down to mid to low 4000, many PPP drops (confirmed by the router log and Zen themselves) mainly when under load especially uploading ie iCloud and mostly at night when I plug my iphone or the other half does to charge. Not of the time the sync stays but connection drops, a few times it drops sync or the router need a reboot to reconnect. They have put interleaving on the line again with no difference (other than the latency)

Now I certainly never had that even when I used to hammer the connection in both ways, just peak time congestion which reduced my actual download speeds (not sync).

I've tried a old style filter faceplate, a VDSL mk2 faceplate, and currently using the test socket with nothing but the router & micro filter connected. No change at all. Changed the PSU for the Netgear 3300v2 router, changed the Adsl cable for a shielded, then a really short single core and then back to the original. No difference to the drops or sync speed.

On the advice of the Zen tech staff I've now changed the router to a Thompson 585n.
I've rechecked everything, the router & socket are in the same cupboard as an electrical main box but I've moved the router to about 1m away (it was 30cm away before I started having these issues with no problems!) I've also taken the opertunity to switch off everything in that cupboard like a vacuum charger, Philips hue router etc etc. No difference, my gas heating was on for a period but it's now off and again none of this has helped.

My stats on the Thompson are after about 6 hours of being on. (Note the uptime)

Uptime:
0 days, 0:57:13

DSL Type:
ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:
981 / 4,583

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:
165.36 / 459.75

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:
12.3 / 19.6

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:
28.0 / 48.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:
6.3 / 5.5

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):
TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):
BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):
71 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):
8 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):
0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):
-

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):
164 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):
0 / 574,712

CRC Errors (Up/Down):
0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down):
0 / 0

And the ping monitor for the other day with the Netgear (I'll include one for the Thompson once it's done 24hours)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6947435e7ab...

The Netgear stats (VDSL Mk2 faceplate) so little difference between routers.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4111 kbps 943 kbps
Line Attenuation 49.0 db 27.1 db
Noise Margin 6.0 db 6.0 db

Also I monitored the SNR for several hours and it was quite variable.

http://imgur.com/yxtryL1

We are due to get FTTC in a few months (via Digital Scotland) and BT have been blowing fibre outside our property but no FTTC can yet. I'm unsure if this has any relevance to this fault though.

Anyone experienced similar or had this type of thing fixed?
Zen are investigating a line issue but don't think moving to them would cause any psyical change to the line.. What is involved in moving from BTW to LLU but staying BT for phone line?
Anything else I can do?

Edited by Binary_Digit (Thu 01-Oct-15 23:20:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Oct-15 23:27:20
Print Post

Re: LLU Line dropping under load.

[re: Binary_Digit] [link to this post]

If plugging something in at your home is able to cause the problem then points to a noise issue somewhere in the property.

The exchange side will have seen you move from BT Wholesale DSLAM to the Zen DSLAM if using their SMPF network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Thu 01-Oct-15 23:28:40
Print Post

This is the routers log from tonight....

http://imgur.com/sgSk2kX

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Thu 01-Oct-15 23:31:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've tried turning everything on and off. It made no difference. My heating or water heater doesn't effect it either. It doesnt appear to be REIN..

Literally only under load, especially upload it PPP drops.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Oct-15 23:51:21
Print Post

Used exactly the same modem as before?

And if its only under high traffic conditions I don't understand why plugging in devices to charge would have an effect. An ADSL line when handling packets may show more errors and renegotiate the line when if it was otherwise idle would have not noticed the errors.

One possibility is to force the modem down to ADSL2 mode from ADSL2+ mode. Occasionally lines behave a bit odd around your attenuation, i.e. try to exploit some ADSL2+ frequencies but this causes more trouble than its worth.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Fri 02-Oct-15 01:13:26
Print Post

No I was saying I eliminated them (all PSU's or electrical interference) from the equation in case it was them, it wasn't.

Yes the Netgear 3300v2 was used when I was with Commsworld & Zen. Everything was the same.
ISP Representative ZenInternetPR
(isp) Fri 02-Oct-15 08:28:45
Print Post

Hello,

Sounds a frustrating situation!

I can see you've already a conversation with our team - it's probably worth speaking to them again, having swapped the router with little difference made.

You can give our tech support team a call on 01706902001, or if you prefer, send me your contact details in a private message and I'll have someone get in touch soon.

Thank you,

Erin
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Oct-15 08:46:21
Print Post

[re: ZenInternetPR] [link to this post]

You've got to figure that the obvious culprit is the exchange equipment, as that is what has changed.

Can you order a TPM for the OP ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Oct-15 12:52:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Reason for not saying exchange kit was this comment in the original post

mainly when under load especially uploading ie iCloud and mostly at night when I plug my iphone or the other half does to charge

ADSL DSLAM configurations are such that Be used to always give better speeds because of how they've configured the DSLAM. It is possible the noise pattern at times is such that the Zen kit is not handling in the most graceful fashion i.e. is too keen to resync rather than tolerate a higher error rate.

(learned) Fri 02-Oct-15 13:07:43
Print Post

Sorry I didn't make that clear.. The cloud uploads start when you put an iPhone on charge, usually at night.

The thing is, it rarely resyncs. It drops the connection ie PPP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to