User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User KingJ
(newbie) Sun 11-Oct-15 23:23:20
Print Post

Nightly Drop?

[link to this post]

I've happily been on Zen's FTTC product for over a year now. However, on most evenings around 11PM I notice that the connection will drop for 30-60 seconds. If I look on my router's connection information during this time, I can see that it has no IPv4 or IPv6 addresses. I don't need to manually intervene for the connection to come back again, it happens automatically.

It always appears to happen around this time, rather than based on the uptime of my router or modem. This is the only time of day that I experience a drop too. It doesn't happen every single night, but it does happen most nights and can be rather frustrating as it can often interrupt things.

I can't find any hints to what may be causing this on Zen's portal. My line has had the same 80001 sync rate for almost a year now so it doesn't seem like a line quality issue.

Any ideas? Would be nice to be able to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Oct-15 08:26:45
Print Post

Re: Nightly Drop?

[re: KingJ] [link to this post]

Like most if not all ISPs, Zen drop PPP sessions sometimes for load balancing or maintenance purposes. However, a 30-60 second outage sounds more like one end determining from a failure of LCP echo request/reply (like a ping, but at a lower layer of the protocol stack) that the link has failed before tearing it down and re-establishing it.

Unfortunately, I can't get any meaningful PPP session data out of my recent logs, because there are numerous outages over the past fortnight relating to me changing one of the two main network switches here, as well as some debugging and development work on the PPPoE functionality of the pfSense firewall I use.

I've added RFC 4638 support to pfSense, so I'm now running with a MTU of 1500. I have also made pfSense re-establish DHCP-PD on a linkdown -> linkup transition, as Zen's trial IPv6 service requires you to delegate the prefix before a route is installed for your IPv6 /48 block.

Standard User KingJ
(newbie) Mon 12-Oct-15 20:02:48
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestions David. I'm using OpenWRT for this (alas, i'd love to have pfSense fronting it!). Unfortunately, I don't have any logs from around the time either, as it's all syslogged to a remote server over a VPN tunnel, which notably doesn't work well when the connection drops, and OpenWRT's local cache of logs doesn't go back very far.

I'll see if I can get the logs stored locally around the time of disconnect tonight. Maybe they'll offer some insight!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pontefract
(committed) Mon 12-Oct-15 21:10:52
Print Post

Ask Zen tech support for a copy of the radius graph showing sync/ppp drops for your connection - this will show if there is a regular pattern to the connection drops.

--
Paul Simpson

The opinions expressed in posts on this forum are entirely my own. They should not be seen as reflecting the views of my employer or as having been authorized or approved by anyone other than me.

PLEASE NOTE; I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
ISP Representative ZenInternetPR
(isp) Tue 13-Oct-15 08:37:44
Print Post

Hello,

There could be a number of different reasons for the drop - if you could send me your account and contact details in a private message I'll pass them straight over to tech support who can look into it for you.

Thank you,

Erin
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User KingJ
(newbie) Sat 17-Oct-15 13:40:28
Print Post

[re: ZenInternetPR] [link to this post]

I've dropped Erin a PM with my account details, and update this thread for future reference with any insights!

Since posting this, my connection was stable for a few days, but I experienced another drop around 11PM on the 16th. Unfortunately, I couldn't capture any logs.
  Print Thread

Jump to