User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User olicuk
(learned) Mon 07-Dec-15 18:06:21
Print Post

Moving Sky -> Zen

[link to this post]

Hi

Am expecting FTTC to go to AO any day now (tomorrow?!) and am planning to move from Sky to A N Other provider. Was initially planning to look for a "deal" (taking into account cashback and vouchers etc, it's possible to get a 38Mb fibre package + line rental at under the basic line rental costs), but now thinking of going with Zen's up to 76Mb package as I'd like to get a static IP address again, and to give quality of service.

Should I be worried about this move, I've read various things about moving from the likes of Sky ADSL (LLU) to Zen, and want to ensure a simultaneous provide of the migrated phone and new FTTC service... particularly if I can get the order in to get a switchover date before Christmas. I don't want to choose the 24th Dec, to find only the phone switches over, and I have to wait until the new year for broadband!! My existing 4Mb from Sky is (slightly) better than nothing...!

Any thoughts/help/advice please?

Many thanks

---------
Help get superfast broadband to Everest Park: fibre.everestpark.org.uk
Standard User olicuk
(learned) Thu 10-Dec-15 14:22:04
Print Post

Re: Moving Sky -> Zen

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

To answer my own question, my cabinet did go live what was then 'tomorrow', and so I called up Zen and spoke to a very helpful chap. I was offered two options:

1) Migrate phone line to Zen, they would provide ADSL on the day the migration completed, and would then place the order for FTTC. So it would be a double-hop, and take around 17 working days to get fibre. The fibre would then be self-install, with the Zen Technicolor modem/router. Very low risk of being broadband-less for any significant period.

2) Request a simultaneous provide of the migration and FTTC order. This would result in a managed fibre install, with an Openreach modem supplied, and I could either buy a router from Zen or provide my own. Essentially this creates two linked orders and appointments, with typically a morning appointment to migrate the phone line (carried out by one engineer at the exchange) and a subsequent (eg/ afternoon) appointment by a different engineer to do the FTTC work at the PCP any my property.

With the latter only taking around 10 working days, and having been at the forefront of campaigning for fibre, I had to go with the quickest option. Just got the dates through, phone migration on the 23rd... and fibre install on the 24th! Happy Christmas Eve! Whilst the subsequent dates rather than same day appointments are probably a good thing, I can foresee a massive FAIL here, perhaps time to get pally with my next but 4 or 5-door neighbour who's an Openreach engineer!

---------
Help get superfast broadband to Everest Park: fibre.everestpark.org.uk
Standard User Fe_plus
(committed) Wed 16-Dec-15 13:58:50
Print Post

Re: Moving Sky -> Zen

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

thanks useful. I am going to move back to Zen as soon as out of contract with Sky.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to