User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 16-Jan-16 19:43:41
Print Post

Solving persistent, random LCP terminated by peer errors

[link to this post]

I keep seeing these on my router logs since around early December.

I've reset the router (Billion 8800NL with UK 2.32e firmware) to factory condition and Zen say they are seeing some errors but not enough to be what they would consider a fault.

On a Zen LLU exchange and can be a bit annoying as for example what I'm streaming may pause.

Any ideas for resolving please?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 8800NL
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Jan-16 19:51:37
Print Post

Re: Solving persistent, random LCP terminated by peer errors

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

I would suggest setting up f8lure/thinkbroadband monitoring - if the line starts to "bow" at peak times there is a good chance the LLU is reaching maximum capacity at peak time.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 16-Jan-16 19:55:05
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks, will do just that.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spudgun
(regular) Sat 16-Jan-16 22:47:58
Print Post

roll back to the 2.32dh65 firmware and you might find this solves your issues.

http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/download/file.php?id...

You may have to register on the Billion forum to download this file, but I used to get similar errors on my 8800AXL with the 2.32e firmware on a Zen connection and rolling back fixed it

Edited by Spudgun (Sat 16-Jan-16 22:51:48)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Jan-16 14:53:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by techguy:
Thanks, will do just that.

Sorry, no idea how my reply ended in here I thought I was replying to a totally different topic. Congestion at peak time is not likely to cause the issues you describe, so ignore my advice, sorry for wasting any of your time setting up those services

(but its always good to have monitoring anyways)

I meant to post that reply to this topic:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/f/4458979-slow-...

AAISP Home::1
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 17-Jan-16 15:27:15
Print Post

[re: Spudgun] [link to this post]

Thanks Spudgun

Connection completely collapsed from about 6 a.m. (first I knew of it was when I attempted to watch some on demend TV about 1.30 through one of my Roku sticks.

Had sync but no PPP, router log showed it was looping through an LCP timeout sending config requests.

Forced a resync by switching off one of the protocol options in DSL settings which brought it back up, Zen say they keep seeing error bursts in the evening but they can't tell me why it dropped this morning.

Have done a factory reset just to see if it cures anything but if I am still seeing the same issue I'll definitely take your advice.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I very much appreciate it.

Standard User Spudgun
(regular) Sun 17-Jan-16 19:21:23
Print Post

Everything you are describing sounds just like what I experienced on the 'e' firmware. The router would stay in sync, but there would be a drop in PPP

Rolling back to 'd' has given me an uptime of 6 weeks and counting, so things are back to normal
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 01-Feb-16 20:47:08
Print Post

[re: Spudgun] [link to this post]

Came home from work tonight to find the DSL light on (so circuit in sync) but no PPP and logs showing timed out sending LCP config request.

I rebooted to get back online and have applied the firmware spudgun pointed me to.

Thanks Spudgun, hopefully this will fix it.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 01-May-16 13:28:15
Print Post

After more of the same I've relegated the 8800NL to a backup and bought a Netgear D6400 which I put in yesterday.

The 8800NL seemed to be a decemt router spoiled by [censored] software.

Seems to be sysning higher, Wi-Fi range just as good, has IPv6 support and will support both FTTC and FTTP.

Can only get FTTP here but am waiting for Zen's prices on that to drop a bit more then I'll switch from their ADSL to FTTP.

Fingers crossed all good with this router.

Print Thread

Jump to