User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hazey_flakes
(newbie) Wed 10-Feb-16 13:38:02
Print Post

Re: IPv6 dhcp6c /48 prefix broken

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
I've got the same problem. Zen's DHCPv6 server is not responding to any requests, so you cannot delegate the /48 prefix. As Zen don't install the route to the /48 until the prefix is delegated, there's no routing to and from the /48.

Hi, if you ask the IPv6 support guys to delete and re-add your IPv6 RADIUS details it will now be rebuilt with support for static routing. This was one of the pieces of feedback we took from the trial, though it has not been retrospectively applied to the trialist accounts yet.
All new accounts should have this by default
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 13:39:04
Print Post

Also, per my support request, they've added in a static route for my /48 so I no longer need to run dhcp6c. Nice! smile

Zen Unlimited Fibre with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 13:48:11
Print Post

[re: hazey_flakes] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hazey_flakes:
Have done at around 13:10 today . I'm not sure why it was missed on our testing, so I'll review that as well.

It was an over zealous ACL which was only meant to be blocking customers from sending RA's to our Gateways. The gateways don't respond to the RAs but it does spam the log files a lot. Will see if we can find out which CPE are doing that. Though they do seem to be making it difficult by sourcing the RAs from fe80::1 with src mac of 00:00:00:00:00:00.

The ACL has now been amended to allow the multicast sourced DHCPv6 messages through, so everything should be back to normal following a PPP session reset.

Thanks for the explanation and welcome to the forums. Please hang around, and, assuming that you are Zen staff, please e-mail team (at) thinkbroadband.com to enquire about getting an isp tag.

Whilst you are looking at the ACLs, can you amend the ACLs to allow ICMPv6 echo request / echo reply to the gateway link local addresses from CPE link local addresses (i.e. ICMPv6 types 128 and 129 from fe80::/10 to fe80::/10)? In my experience, such traffic is blocked and I don't think my firewall rules are to blame.

Without the ability to ping6 the gateway link local addresses, the gateway monitoring code in pfSense and possibly in other routers doesn't work without manual configuration of a non-gateway monitoring target.

As has been wished for before, some way of setting rDNS for IPv6 would be very useful. In my case, delegation to a customer run authoritative DNS server would be fine, though not everyone is in a position to run a DNS server.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 10-Feb-16 14:08:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
Whilst you are looking at the ACLs, can you amend the ACLs to allow ICMPv6 echo request / echo reply to the gateway link local addresses from CPE link local addresses (i.e. ICMPv6 types 128 and 129 from fe80::/10 to fe80::/10)? In my experience, such traffic is blocked and I don't think my firewall rules are to blame.
As has been wished for before, some way of setting rDNS for IPv6 would be very useful. In my case, delegation to a customer run authoritative DNS server would be fine, though not everyone is in a position to run a DNS server.

The ACL should permit all traffic from fe80::/10 to fe80::/10 (apart from ICMP type 135). Would you be able to email this query into the IPv6 support team (ipv6@zen.co.uk) along with your username and ask them to forward it onto Brandon? I'll then investigate and see if we can figure out what is happening.

With regards to rDNS, again please email the request to the IPv6 team, they'll then get this set up for you. We are working on DNS and portal tools to support IPv6 but I cannot provide a commitment for when these will be available.

Cheers for the heads up about getting flare added to my username, I'll drop thinkbroadband a line and get this added.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Feb-16 15:24:30
Print Post

Thanks for fixing this so quickly!

Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Standard User Jax2
(member) Wed 10-Feb-16 16:32:05
Print Post

I still have problems. It was suggested that it would help to start a new PPP session but not being very technical I do not know how to go about this.
Will Zen get round to sorting this for everyone automatically so people like me who do not understand the technicalities do not lose out?
Being on an FTTP connection I cannot just turn off the GPON Terminal like you can a normal modem if that is what is required.
Help would be appreciated because when in the past I have contacted Zen IPv6 support it has taken weeks to get a reply.
(newbie) Wed 10-Feb-16 21:58:20
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jax2:
I still have problems. It was suggested that it would help to start a new PPP session but not being very technical I do not know how to go about this.

Sorry, resetting the PPP session is just an overly technical way is saying 'reset your connection'. A reboot of your router is the easiest way to do this.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Thu 11-Feb-16 10:25:25
Print Post

Thanks.

Rebooting the router itself has not solved the problem. However I suppose that will not have affected the connection itself as I am on FTTP and the "modem" bit is a GPON Terminal so it will have maintained the session. If I turn off the power supply to the GPON it just goes onto battery backup and still maintains the connection. I do not really feel like doing anything else with the GPON so I guess I am stuck with the way things are.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Feb-16 10:35:55
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

What you really need is a feature on the Zen portal which allows you to initiate a disconnect of the PPP session from the Zen side. That would also work.

Looks like you will have to ask them to do this for you, if there's no automated way of doing it on the portal (I've not seen one).

Standard User Jax2
(member) Thu 11-Feb-16 11:57:36
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Thanks.
There is no automated way of doing it so I did ring Zen support who killed the session for me but unfortunately after I reconnected the problem persists.
I had already sent an email to IPv6 support yesterday and the normal support guy said he will draw their attention to it get them to look at my email so they can sort things.
In reply to a post by mixt:
What you really need is a feature on the Zen portal which allows you to initiate a disconnect of the PPP session from the Zen side. That would also work.

Looks like you will have to ask them to do this for you, if there's no automated way of doing it on the portal (I've not seen one).

Edited by Jax2 (Thu 11-Feb-16 12:47:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to