User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 15-May-16 18:50:22
Print Post

Setting up IPv6 on Netgear Genie firmware

[link to this post]

I've put in a Netgear D6400 running the latest firmware (I updated it during the install process) and have an IPv6 assignment from Zen.

If I let the router decide it seems to set itself up as a 6to4 tunnel according to the Test IPv6 site

If I set to DHCP that site reads it as Teredo.

Should I set it to PPPoE to get this to work?

Using ADSL on one of Zen's LLU exchanges and ADSL setting is currently PPPoA.

Can't see a way to put the PD prefix in.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 8800NL
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Fri 20-May-16 22:20:47
Print Post

Re: Sett have told Netging up IPv6 on Netgear Genie firmware

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Just noticed this thread.
I do not have your router but have a Netgear R7000 with which I could not access IPv6 unless it was a 6to4 tunnel. I also was not sure how to set it up.
I asked Zen and for me on FTTP (lucky me!) it should be set to PPPoE then either DHCP or Autoconfig and after clicking apply that should be it.
Except it didn't work. I contacted Zen again who told me that a lot of people with Netgear routers were having problems obtaining IPv6 and that I should contact Netgear support.
After weeks of to-ing and fro-ing Netgear eventually sent me a beta firmware (well two actually but only the last one works) which lets me use IPv6 but only using the Autoconfig, it does not work with DHCP. They say that eventually there will be a standard firmware update incorporating the fix they sent me but they have no idea when. They blame Windows 10 for DHCP not working but when I pointed out people with other makes of router have no problems there was a deadly silence!
So I do get "proper" IPv6 using Autoconfig but I should have a fixed IP address like I have with IPv4 but it is not fixed. Indeed it is different every time I boot my computer which rather suggests that the computer is setting the IP address rather than the router. I told Netgear about not having a fixed IP address when I should but they never responded to that. A dynamic IP address does not bother me but it might others.
So I am not sure of the settings you should use with ADSL (Zen can probably help with that if you ring their support) but don't be surprised if you have to raise a ticket with Netgear too.
Hope that helps.
  Print Thread

Jump to