User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jun-16 15:30:54
Print Post

ipv6 router address

[link to this post]

How do I find out the wan ipv6 address of my router?

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l)
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Jun-16 13:31:13
Print Post

Re: ipv6 router address

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

Perhaps http://test-ipv6.com/ will tell you.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Edited by caffn8me (Sat 04-Jun-16 13:32:38)

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Jun-16 15:07:59
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Unfortunately that only gives me the address of the machine I am doing the query from, not the router.

I am supposed to be on a fixed ip address with Zen, but that only seems to be for ipv4. According to Zen TS, my router allocates it's own ipv6 address, and that is nothing to do with Zen

I suppose in that case, I need to find out how to get the router to allocate itself the same ipv6 address each time it is rebooted

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l)

Edited by ukwiz (Sat 04-Jun-16 15:09:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Geordish
(regular) Sat 04-Jun-16 17:00:57
Print Post

That's not quite right. Your router will be allocating its address for the outside interface based on its MAC address. This will remain the same each time it connects.

The router will also have a different IPv6 address in its internal interface. Hopefully its just taken the first address out of the assigned address space.

The way to find out the address that it is using depends on the device you have. You can probably find it in its webui though.

What are you trying to do that requires you knowings its IP address?
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Jun-16 17:02:24
Print Post

Zen's default setup means that your router is assigned a random one from the /64 prefix delegated to your connection, for the WAN side. This will change each time your router connects. If you contact Zen technical support, they can change this behaviour so the same fixed IPv6 address from that /64 is used instead. I made this request a few months ago and everything still works fine.

The address they appear to be using for this is .... not that exciting - it is just the /64 prefix followed by a 1 at the end, so if your /64 is 2001:DB8:A:B::/64, the fixed address your router will end up with each time upon connection becomes 2001:DB8:A:B::1

Simples!

Zen Unlimited Fibre with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Sat 04-Jun-16 17:06:55)

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Jun-16 17:27:25
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

I am trying to set up a BQM for the ipv6 connection. The router is the only thing that stays on permanently

David

Standard User Adrian
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-16 10:19:29
Print Post

Zen should have given you two groups of IPv6 numbers in the form

IPv6 Prefix:
2A02:xxxx:yyyy:zzzz::/64
IPv6 Delegated:
2A02:yyyy:zzzz::/48

The /48 group are WAN addresses which are what concern you here. In my router configuration I simply said the WAN address was

2A02:yyyyy:zzzz::1

but I could have used any of the 2^48 addresses

I then used that as the WAN address in my Thinkbroadband BQM.

I also set the Ipv6 gateway to

2A02:yyyyy:zzzz::2

I hope this helps

Adrian
Standard User R1200RS
(newbie) Mon 13-Jun-16 14:28:41
Print Post

[re: Adrian] [link to this post]

I have tried doing this with my Draytek 2860 router. With the router set to connect IPV6 via PPP I appear to obtain the appropriate addresses from Zen and test sites all return a 10/10 rating for my IPV6 connection.
There are however 2 problems (as far as I am aware). One is that the BQM doesn't work (all red, IPV4 version is fine); second is that I cannot ping any IPV6 external address from any Windows 10 machine on the network. I can ping from the router itself and from a Windows 2008 Server.

If I set the router to static IP mode as above and use e.g. 2A02:yyyy:zzzz::1 then, although the router indicates that addresses are being allocated from Zen (all systems green) I lose all external IPV6 connectivity - the test sites simply report that it is not present.

This happens whether I use 2A02:yyyy:zzzz:2 or the FE80 address as the default gateway.

Reverting to PPP mode restores connectivity but the BQM does not work, even though the router's external IP appears to remain static in any event.

Any thoughts anyone?
Standard User RichTea23
(regular) Mon 13-Jun-16 16:21:49
Print Post

[re: R1200RS] [link to this post]

<guess work>
Does your Draytek router have a built firewall? maybe its blocking the outgoing IPV6 / not adding rules to allow outgoing traffic.

</guess work>

Various (Dile up) -> clara.net (Dile up) -> TELE2 (Microwave) -> ZeN (ADSL)
Standard User R1200RS
(newbie) Mon 13-Jun-16 16:50:27
Print Post

[re: RichTea23] [link to this post]

It does have a firewall but the settings are the same as IPv4 except I have it to block routing packets from the WAN side on IPv6. It is also set to accept pings from the WAN on both.
As I said, I can ping from a Server through the same router so the problem with outward pings lies in Windows 10.
As I understood it the BQM is trying to ping me in any event?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to