User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pete__B
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-16 11:27:40
Print Post

Re: ipv6 router address

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

I am with Plusnet on their IPv6 trial and have a Billion 8800NL so YYMV.

I found the IPv6 address to use for a BQM by logging into the command line on the router and running ifconfig.
The line containing the address starts inet6 addr: and ends with Scope Global

As has already been mentioned you will need a static IPv6 address and a router that responds to IPv6 pings.
Standard User R1200RS
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-16 14:25:52
Print Post

[re: Pete__B] [link to this post]

I've managed to get the BQM working now - seems to have been just a matter of setting up the monitor with the router IPV6 address (although mine is not "fixed" Zen say that it will never change) which I had clearly not done properly before smile
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Jun-16 05:51:23
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Geordish:
That's not quite right. Your router will be allocating its address for the outside interface based on its MAC address. This will remain the same each time it connects.

The router will also have a different IPv6 address in its internal interface. Hopefully its just taken the first address out of the assigned address space.

Your router will set its own link local IPv6 address, based most likely on the EUI-48 (i.e. MAC address) of one of its interfaces. The RFCs indicate this address should be static, but this is not always the case. The precise behaviour is implementation dependent.

TR-167 allows two possibilities for the router WAN interface's globally routable IPv6 address - SLAAC or DHCPv6. The standard Zen setup is SLAAC, with the DHCPv6 server ignoring globally routable address requests. I'm not sure whether Zen can configure accounts to have a globally routable address allocated to the router's WAN interface via DHCPv6, as I've never asked.

You can, in fact, statically allocate any address from the /64 block to your router's WAN interface, either as the primary address or an alias. My pfSense box has a SLAAC address as the primary address and <prefix>::1 as an alias, primarily for BQM.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to