User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Fri 10-Jun-16 08:36:53
Print Post

Zen FTTP puzzle

[link to this post]

Hi

Zen have a page for FTTP packages https://www.zen.co.uk/yourhome/superfast-fibre-broad... where they clearly make the distinction this is real fibre to the property.

Curious, I put my telephone number and postcode in and get a list of packages back, prices very cheap, I'm getting excited. The packages have names like Fibre 1 (FTTP), however the speeds shown are my line estimate speeds for FTTC, so that doesn't appear to be fibre to the premise that is being offered.

So presumably if I order their Unlimited Fibre 2 (FTTP) package, it's just going to be ordinary FTTC, or would it really be fibre? If it isn't really going to be fibre to the premise as that page is saying, they need to get their web site fixed, as what it is showing now is false advertising.

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Fri 10-Jun-16 08:38:36)

Standard User Geordish
(regular) Fri 10-Jun-16 09:00:53
Print Post

Re: Zen FTTP puzzle

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

It is likely FTTP rate limited down to FTTC speeds. They probably don't want FTTP customers battering their network.

It's a bit sad that they haven't made some difference between C/P. Even an extra 20Meg down would be nicer. They should have just left up unlimited too, and they won't be heavily contended in that direction.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Fri 10-Jun-16 09:06:35
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

Hi

I would be fine with limited speeds, just knowing problems with VDSL and crosstalk and dodgy phone wiring is out the picture is attractive enough, given it is costing the same amount, which is why I'm skeptical it is offering real FTTP as it claims on the web page.

I thought FTTP to the home was quite hard to get and install was expensive, to the point of having to contribute to digging up the road.

Edit: It seems using my postcode only, it offers speeds > 80 so that must be FTTP, however when I add my BT land line phone number, it only offers me FTTC speed rated products showing my usual BT estimated FTTC speed range, but still shows it as FTTP rather than FTTC.

Puzzled!

Regards

Phil

Edited by PhilipD (Fri 10-Jun-16 09:16:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Fri 10-Jun-16 09:25:18
Print Post

Hi

Okay Zen, your "Check my line" on the page https://www.zen.co.uk/smallerbusiness/superfast-fibr... is broken.

Any address search (i.e. no telephone number) brings back all your FTTP products, regardless of where that address is and if FTTP is available or not. Put the phone number in, and products are shown correctly, but even where this filters the product list to only show what is available by FTTC, it doesn't say that it isn't FTTP.

Regards

Phil
Standard User georgelnx
(learned) Fri 10-Jun-16 09:45:30
Print Post

Zen do offer faster FTTP speeds but these are listed under the business web pages at Zen Business FTTP Options

Cheaper to go with BT Retail for the 200 or 300 Mbps download speeds for home users

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-Jun-16 09:47:28
Print Post

Does https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local and the BT Wholesale checker say that WBC FTTP is available (NOTE this is NOT fttp on demand).

But you address searching suggests something their end is broken.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Fri 10-Jun-16 10:32:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

My postcode shows FTTP as not available using that checker, which is what I already thought, yet Zen on house number/postcode say yes up to 300/30, but with telephone number they say no, although they don't actually say "No, all we can offer is FTTC at these speeds", but the packages shown are obviously FTTC.

I got excited, thought it was too good to be true, and so it was.

Regards

Phil
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Fri 10-Jun-16 10:43:02
Print Post

Thanks Phil, I'll have that looked into ASAP

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jun-16 09:03:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Geordish:
It is likely FTTP rate limited down to FTTC speeds. They probably don't want FTTP customers battering their network.

It's a bit sad that they haven't made some difference between C/P. Even an extra 20Meg down would be nicer. They should have just left up unlimited too, and they won't be heavily contended in that direction.

The available speed options on FTTP are:

40/2
40/10
55/10*
80/20
220/20
330/30

Incidentally, I'm not 100% sure if 55/10 made it into the options as I haven't looked.

Zen can only offer FTTP speeds at the speeds they're offered them by the relevant bits of BT, like the rest of us.
  Print Thread

Jump to