User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User xnsys
(newbie) Sat 23-Jul-16 13:14:41
Print Post

Great customer service???? I think not

[link to this post]

Wow - how the hell did Zen internet win awards for great customer service? I guess they only look at the sales guys when awarding prizes as the technical support sucks big time.

Why??

Well, here's my story.

I've been a customer of Zen Internet for the past 18 months, I have been on the business package with the business line rental and unlimited internet - this was sold to be as having 24 hour SLA if lines go down etc.

All has been well up until Friday when I got back from a business trip and found the line to be down - no problem just give zen a call and they will get it sorted as per what was sold to me.

Well, not all is a clear as it would seam, apparently the only thing that is covered by the 24 hour SLA is the phone line, a phone line that I don't use as it's only for broadband and something that the sales guys at zen were told of at the time. The sales agent told me that this would cover both the broadband and the calls, this unfortunately is a big lie as I've just discovered - I remember clarifying with them as the broadband is a critical part of any business today, and therefore the most important box I needed to tick.

I'm now left without broadband for over a week if I wanted to wait for zen to sort it out - other solution - change ISP - and that's what I'm going to do - change to one where the sales guys don't lie to you to get business.

Not only am I going to be taking my business elsewhere, but there is about 7 other customers of mine who have been also sold the same package, they will be migrating too - see what happens when you lie???

The morel of the story - get everything in writing and don't believe what sales guys say to you, especially from Zen internet.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jul-16 16:52:53
Print Post

Re: Great customer service???? I think not

[re: xnsys] [link to this post]

The Unlimited Fibre Office SLA is pretty clear - you will get a 24/7 response from Zen to an Internet connectivity issue, but actual resolution time is not guaranteed. As Zen describe the product as repair within 12 hours, I guess that they take Openreach's Service Maintenance Level 3 on the FTTC or FTTP as well as the line itself.

However, there is a big difference between a target fix time of 12 hours and a guarantee that service will be restored within 12 hours. You simply won't find a cast iron guarantee of service restoration within 12 hours on any product using FTTC or FTTP - there are too many variables involved. The most you will get is a small credit if the target is missed - in Zen's case, it's £25 per occurrence.

If Internet connectivity is critical to you, have backups with as little commonality as possible to your main service. In many cases, tethering a mobile phone or a mobile broadband dongle with a pre-pay SIM is all that is needed, but it is a case of working out what is cost effective for you.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-16 17:01:28
Print Post

Yes, I felt the same way when I was with Zen they where very friendly and helpful upon joining and then very unhelpful when their was problems and then very rude when I was trying to move house...

Won't touch or recommend them again!

BTInfinity - 79999/19999kbps - BT Smart Hub
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - Super Hub 2ac
SkyFibre - 39998/9995kbps - Sky Q Hub

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User xnsys
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-16 17:17:19
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
The Unlimited Fibre Office SLA is pretty clear - you will get a 24/7 response from Zen to an Internet connectivity issue, but actual resolution time is not guaranteed. As Zen describe the product as repair within 12 hours, I guess that they take Openreach's Service Maintenance Level 3 on the FTTC or FTTP as well as the line itself.

However, there is a big difference between a target fix time of 12 hours and a guarantee that service will be restored within 12 hours. You simply won't find a cast iron guarantee of service restoration within 12 hours on any product using FTTC or FTTP - there are too many variables involved. The most you will get is a small credit if the target is missed - in Zen's case, it's £25 per occurrence.

If Internet connectivity is critical to you, have backups with as little commonality as possible to your main service. In many cases, tethering a mobile phone or a mobile broadband dongle with a pre-pay SIM is all that is needed, but it is a case of working out what is cost effective for you.

The point is, I was sold something that had a 24 hour - or next day SLA, where an OpenReach engineer would be onsite in the event of a fault - the same package I had with BT. My point is, that I asked the questions and the answers I received were just lies to get another customer...

And yes, I'm on a 4G device at the moment, but that's not great as has a 10GB data limit, and with Netflix/Sky News/Bloomberg that can be eaten up in no time at all - 4G is the full version of the internet, but just for basic users...

Zen offered me the ability to upgrade to the critical package, which has exactly what I was lead to believe was what I had purchased, this would get another engineer the next day.

My biggest gripe is that I have explained this to Zen, and they just told me it is what it is, and I have to lump it - now good customer service would have been to say "as this is your first fault with us in the 18 months you have been with us, and I understand that you have been frustrated and could have been mislead, in order to keep you as a customer on this occasion I will send an engineer out the next day" - but they chose not to - so buy buy, back to BT where I get the level of service I was promised at Zen.

Edited by xnsys (Mon 25-Jul-16 17:21:31)

Standard User xnsys
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-16 17:18:59
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Yes, I felt the same way when I was with Zen they where very friendly and helpful upon joining and then very unhelpful when their was problems and then very rude when I was trying to move house...

Won't touch or recommend them again!

My experience exactly...

I'm about to look at migrating other customers who I supple service to as a result, they all thought that they were getting something they aren't - not good customer practice.

For now, I have accepted their engineer schedule, buys me time to get things switched over.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jul-16 18:25:44
Print Post

Check out A&A. They provision all lines as business lines, with a 4 hour response. When I was with them (before Zen), my line went dead. Called just after mid-day, engineer was on-site within an hour and problem fixed in a further 30 minutes. Never had a response that rapid in my puff, and I know for sure that is not going to happen whilst I'm now on Zen.

Though this was clearly a line fault (no dial tone) so as David_W says, for broadband only faults, things might be different but I have found with A&A they say what they mean and mean what they say, and you can always phone them up and ask about it. They are also able to offer high-bandwidth grade (+1TB/month) broadband over TalkTalk backhaul now, starting at a similar price as what you've been paying for Zen's Unlimited Fibre Office, so might be worth considering that as an option, but to do this would require a complete cease and re-provide of the line (further details are on their website).

Zen Unlimited Fibre with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 TBB Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Jul-16 18:45:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by xnsys:
My biggest gripe is that I have explained this to Zen, and they just told me it is what it is, and I have to lump it - now good customer service would have been to say "as this is your first fault with us in the 18 months you have been with us, and I understand that you have been frustrated and could have been mislead, in order to keep you as a customer on this occasion I will send an engineer out the next day" - but they chose not to - so buy buy, back to BT where I get the level of service I was promised at Zen.

If I'm reading the Openreach price list correctly, a CP cannot expedite the response to an FTTC or FTTP fault beyond the Service Maintenance Level subscribed to as all the Multi Level Expedite and One-Off Expedite products are subject to note h ("Excludes GEA FTTC and FTTP all product variants").

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jul-16 16:30:19
Print Post

ADSL, VDSL2 and FTTP are not guaranteed services and a lot of businesses fail to understand that. Hint; the price should be a clue.

Even a 99.9% uptime guarantee can give you eight and three quarter hours downtime each year.

If you have a business critical need for internet you've got to pay a lot more and use a leased line with a backup circuit and dual diverse routing over different carriers.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
  Print Thread

Jump to