User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CecilWard
(newbie) Thu 11-Aug-16 14:24:37
Print Post

Re: IPv4 1 or 8 Static IPs vs. IPv6

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

> Also could I host these on IPv6 and how do Zen do the translation from IPv4 clients.

By the way, this sort of thing can be done. Andrews & Arnold offer an optional (and free) service where customers who are using IPv6, even IPv6-only users, can get their inbound and outbound traffic converted to/from IPv4 by AA's network. So even if you are IPv6-only and have no IPv4 addresses at all, you can still access the IPv4 Internet, and browse IPv4-only websites, for example.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Aug-16 15:09:10
Print Post

[re: CecilWard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CecilWard:
> Also could I host these on IPv6 and how do Zen do the translation from IPv4 clients.

By the way, this sort of thing can be done. Andrews & Arnold offer an optional (and free) service where customers who are using IPv6, even IPv6-only users, can get their inbound and outbound traffic converted to/from IPv4 by AA's network. So even if you are IPv6-only and have no IPv4 addresses at all, you can still access the IPv4 Internet, and browse IPv4-only websites, for example.

IPv6 only endpoints accessing an IPv4 endpoint requires a NAT64, as I said. Adrian Kennard has a deep philosophical conviction that the Internet should move as quickly as possible to an IPv6 only future, rather than endpoints running "dual stack", so it's no surprise that AAISP run a NAT64 for their customers. I would expect AAISP's NAT64 only to work for AAISP users, not least because of the abuse potential.

IPv4 only endpoints on the Internet at large accessing an IPv6 only endpoint is typically not possible, as there is no guarantee that an IPv4 only endpoint has access to a NAT46 or an IPv6 tunnel. Bearing in mind the original poster was looking for an alternative to multiple public IPv4 addresses, I presume that the usage case was multiple devices accessible from the IPv4 Internet. If so, there is no way to achieve this with IPv6.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User cleeve555
(newbie) Fri 03-Mar-17 01:50:44
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

What router are you using please with IPv6 support?
Is your internal LAN using IPv4 or IPv6?

Has the Zen IPv6 Internet service been reliable?

TIA, Jon

Connection - Zen Unlimited Broadband ADSL2/2+ Sync 3300/1100kbps @ long piece of copper

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User summat
(member) Fri 03-Mar-17 10:11:05
Print Post

[re: cleeve555] [link to this post]

I've been using Zen's IPv6 since the very start of their trials. It has been solid throughout and continues to be.

For my router I am using pfSense (I am pretty certain David_W is too) and for my setup it's running fully dual-stack so LAN clients get both v4 and v6 internet access. For v4 its NAT with private addressing (I have a single v4 WAN IP), for v6 its direct routed with every LAN client receiving a proper global IPv6 address from a /64 assigned to the LAN they are on.

I know two others using it and their experience has been solid, too.

Also yes - as David_W said, the AAISP NAT64 gateway quite sensibly only works from an AAISP IPv6 address!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to