User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User radar
(learned) Wed 30-Aug-17 14:01:01
Print Post

Re: Poor single thread performance problems return?

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
In reply to a post by radar:
I am also having poor speedtest results and packet loss.
I have a fault open with Zen Support, and the latest email from them said that they had an outage booked for last night 29/08/17 which might solve the issue. I am still getting packet loss this morning and poor speedtest results. I am fed up with this situation, and if it is not rectified very soon I will be leaving Zen.

Oh my, not good!

Yeah, I'll open a ticket with Zen Support as well then. What sucks for me is that I recently restarted a new contract (speed regrade) so I could get DLM reset without needing an engineer after discovering what I believe to be my homeplugs causing some internal issues (where an engineer I doubt would've just been booked to just reset DLM only). Lets hope this can be sorted out or moving ISP will be a little expensive.

I think the quality of Zen Technical support has been downgraded just lately maybe the bean counters are responsible for this. Zen were a top recommended Internet supplier by the Which magazine not too long ago. My impression from email correspondence with them, that this is no longer the case.
I am synced at 79.997 down and used to get 75Mbps on both single and x6 threads, but no longer get anywhere near that at any time of the day or night.

I run various VOIP applications here such as MMDVMHost and internet telephony line from Sipgate, the packet loss is severely affecting this and the packet loss has exceeded 10% at times.This is the suite of software that I run on a Raspberry Pi which enables me to communicate via DMR and P25 Digital Audio.
https://github.com/g4klx
I am running a similar Draytek router as yourself Vigor 2860Vn-Plus.
I did try the Zen supplied router as suggested by Zen technical support back in March when this packet loss first started, but it made no difference to packet loss and I also lost my IPV6 connectivity.

Regards Dave

Standard User Ixel
(member) Wed 30-Aug-17 14:13:44
Print Post

[re: radar] [link to this post]

I think the quality of Zen Technical support has been downgraded just lately maybe the bean counters are responsible for this. Zen were a top recommended Internet supplier by the Which magazine not too long ago. My impression from email correspondence with them, that this is no longer the case.
I am synced at 79.997 down and used to get 75Mbps on both single and x6 threads, but no longer get anywhere near that at any time of the day or night.

I run various VOIP applications here such as MMDVMHost and internet telephony line from Sipgate, the packet loss is severely affecting this and the packet loss has exceeded 10% at times.This is the suite of software that I run on a Raspberry Pi which enables me to communicate via DMR and P25 Digital Audio.
https://github.com/g4klx
I am running a similar Draytek router as yourself Vigor 2860Vn-Plus.
I did try the Zen supplied router as suggested by Zen technical support back in March when this packet loss first started, but it made no difference to packet loss and I also lost my IPV6 connectivity.

Regards Dave

I see, well I'll give them a chance and hope. Hopefully it won't come to disputing an early termination charge for a severely degraded service performance. I also use VoIP for some phone calls via A&A's service. If I have to move eventually then I'll probably go with them despite the higher cost.
Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 30-Aug-17 16:01:30
Print Post

on the 28 may of this year i was syncing at 79996 now synced at 74412. i know its not zens fault but they wont even ask BT if one of their monkeys(who want to get home early so swap out a known good line, just move the problem onto another customer) have been swapping cables again. im getting a throughput of 66 max. the speed bothers me a little. its the packetloss and jitter that really bothers me. im glad i found this thread and in a way its nice to know others are having the same problem, even though it's not nice to hear of others having trouble.

phoned last month sometime and went throught the usual "have you tried this" with them and the packetloss got beter. is still there sometimes untill monday were i could ping a server and actually see the packetloss starting in their network. i couldnt play quake champions without being disconected constantly and the jitter unbeleivable. they are responsible for the routing am i right?

this thread opened my eyes a bit thats for sure. time to give up on this once great company. hasnt been easy in the past but problems 2 years ago wernt resolved like they were 12 years ago thats for sure. im gona dig my heals in again and make them resolve it thats a given. if its bto cabling thats causing the jitter/packetloss and sync speed loss they better get an engineer out. or it's time to get my MP involved again.

give me a private stable connection for gaming. simple request.

i wont go into other things in a public forum but zen need to have word or sack some people from what i hear. hard to prove in a court of law but word soon gets around. as i understand it giving any info is against privacy laws and im not taking about web sites visited.

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 30-Aug-17 22:32:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andew
(member) Wed 30-Aug-17 17:29:06
Print Post

It may be worth sending a PM to jongreen84. I'm fairly sure he will be able to sort this for you.

Andrew
Standard User Ixel
(member) Wed 30-Aug-17 18:13:11
Print Post

[re: andew] [link to this post]

Agreed.

I had an email from Zen earlier, they're running a continuous ping test for the next day or so on myself and some other Zen customers on my exchange to determine if it's an exchange end issue and as such get an overall picture.

I'm personally also running a program called WinMTR which is constantly pinging google.co.uk (which I think is a reliable host to ping), hoping this information might help tomorrow when Zen update me regarding their continuous ping test and if they aren't certain by then what's causing this problem.
Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 30-Aug-17 22:41:53
Print Post

continuios ping test then they do nothing. they see a problem and do nothing. because they know its in their own network. or parly to blame.

i did see bto pulling up the fiber manhole covers in the last few days so maybe im wrong. prolly should have got skilled people to lay the fiber in the first place.

maybe they were looking for a [censored] screwdriver they lost 2 years ago. thats a more plausable explaination.

[censored] monkeys. eh.

even the teachers dont know. i saw him in a hole the other day. main man in charge of teaching people in this area.

quality outfit.

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 30-Aug-17 23:22:53)

Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 31-Aug-17 01:41:29
Print Post

[re: bigbadpirate] [link to this post]

I see frown.

Well, I'm pretty certain it has to be congestion somewhere. Just did a speed test and the results are better this time of night, I bet you by lunch time it'll be downhill again.

See https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

Edited by Ixel (Thu 31-Aug-17 01:43:05)

Standard User radar
(learned) Thu 31-Aug-17 09:28:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ixel:
I am also having poor speedtest results and packet loss.
I have a fault open with Zen Support, and the latest email from them said that they had an outage booked for last night 29/08/17 which might solve the issue. I am still getting packet loss this morning and poor speedtest results. I am fed up with this situation, and if it is not rectified very soon I will be leaving Zen.

Oh my, not good!

Yeah, I'll open a ticket with Zen Support as well then. What sucks for me is that I recently restarted a new contract (speed regrade) so I could get DLM reset without needing an engineer after discovering what I believe to be my homeplugs causing some internal issues (where an engineer I doubt would've just been booked to just reset DLM only). Lets hope this can be sorted out or moving ISP will be a little expensive.

Well I had a new email from Zen Support stating that the scheduled network upgrade did not solve the problem :-

Hello Dave,

The scheduled network upgrade does not appear to have resolved your packet loss, so we have passed your details to our network operations department who will upgrade your connection at the exchange. This usually takes a few days to have a visible effect at your end and we will contact you when we believe your issue to be resolved.

unquote

So I will wait and see if they manage to rectify the packet loss problem and then see if it also fixes the download speed problem.
This is my latest speedtest at 09:20 this morning 31/08/17 and is unacceptable for a line that is synced at 79.997 :-
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

Regards Dave

Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 31-Aug-17 09:40:56
Print Post

I see.

I'm waiting for an update to my ticket, though it won't be till later today I think.

Here's a speed test I did last night in the early hours of the morning: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

Here's a speed test I did just a minute ago: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

It has to be congestion. My ping graph doesn't look impressive either - http://i.imgur.com/TBrMlPW.png
Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 31-Aug-17 19:38:37
Print Post

Got a reply this afternoon and thankfully I'm not the only one at the exchange being affected by packet loss (based on early indications). They're looking into a fix for this. Fingers crossed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to