User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spudgun
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-16 22:08:00
Print Post

Poor single thread performance problems return?

[link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Speed test is really struggling tonight for single threaded performance on BNG1, anyone else seeing similar things?
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Wed 19-Oct-16 09:54:31
Print Post

Re: Poor single thread performance problems return? *DELETED*

[re: Spudgun] [link to this post]

Post deleted by 23Prince
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-16 17:21:04
Print Post

Re: Poor single thread performance problems return?

In reply to a post by Spudgun:

Speed test is really struggling tonight for single threaded performance on BNG1, anyone else seeing similar things?
Not to the same extent but sometimes i see around 6-8mb difference in single threaded , to tbb speedtesters, but i enter zen's network from manchester, though shortly after the work on the london side was done there has been a slight increase in latency to some places tbb is one, and the jitter levels are creeping up again in the day time

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craski
(member) Wed 19-Oct-16 19:02:56
Print Post

I'm seeing same on my Zen connection.
HTTPx6 runs at expected speed of about 70Mb but HTTPx1 is bursting all over the place and struggles to do more than 15 to 20Mb and is often <10Mb.

Zens inability to maintain a good quality connection beyond a few weeks at a time is getting very tiring.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM

Edited by craski (Wed 19-Oct-16 19:07:37)

Standard User Kste
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-16 23:11:43
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

I have the same issues, and have had them since May.

There are no updates from Zen, each time I have to go to them to get more info. I can see nothing on their website, no public acknowledgement of this issue.

Before I got 70, now 10-25.

Zen used to be good, but its like they only care about business customers now.
ISP Representative jongreen84
(isp) Thu 20-Oct-16 11:20:40
Print Post

Hi all,

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues. We’ve had a number of reports of this and are already investigating. Could anyone affected please raise a fault with our Tech Support teams, and mention this thread. Could you also then PM me your username/fault ref and I’ll make sure your fault is linked to the wider issue.

Thanks,

Jon
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Kste
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-16 23:22:27
Print Post

[re: jongreen84] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jongreen84:
Hi all,

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues. We’ve had a number of reports of this and are already investigating. Could anyone affected please raise a fault with our Tech Support teams, and mention this thread. Could you also then PM me your username/fault ref and I’ll make sure your fault is linked to the wider issue.

Thanks,

Jon

Hello,

I have been in contact with support several times and provided speed test screen shots, my fault is already linked with the wider issue.

I have PM'ed you all the same.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-16 23:30:28
Print Post

How long has this been ongoing?
Also out of interest how much do you pay Zen for this abysmal service?
As a reference, I have two services, BT residental and TalkTalk
BT I pay for 55Mbps: Line rental + £11 a month = £29ish
TalkTalk I pay for 38Mbps: just line rental at £17.70 + £0 (discounted) for fibre medium = £17.70 total
My speedtests (all over 5Ghz wireless with 2 walls between me and the router). On both BT & TalkTalk the lines are so identical you cannot even distinguish the single vs multi threaded:

Dare I say it, if this has been going on for a while, I would seriously be considering an ISP switch in your shoes. I get the feeling you could save a lot as well, especially if we factor in Quidco Cashback.

EDIT: Just seen it has been ongoing since MAY! That is far too long - jump ship mate.
For reference I am based in London where usage is bound to be really heavy and it's still fine.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 20-Oct-16 23:34:42)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-16 23:57:40
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

TalkTalk I pay for 38Mbps: just line rental at £17.70 + £0 (discounted) for fibre medium = £17.70 total
My speedtests (all over 5Ghz wireless with 2 walls between me and the router). On both BT & TalkTalk the lines are so identical you cannot even distinguish the single vs multi threaded:

Dare I say it, if this has been going on for a while, I would seriously be considering an ISP switch in your shoes. I get the feeling you could save a lot as well, especially if we factor in Quidco Cashback.

EDIT: Just seen it has been ongoing since MAY! That is far too long - jump ship mate.
For reference I am based in London where usage is bound to be really heavy and it's still fine.
please don't suggest BT consumer they have [censored] cs and tech support, that is as well as no static IP and their web censorship bs,

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 20-Oct-16 23:58:47)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-16 00:09:17
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Agree standard CS is not good but there are a few good teams within BT. You just need to know where to email / call. Once you reach UK support they are very good, as many have found out on here when i have put them in touch with said people.

Web censorship is no worse than virginmedia or sky in my experience.

Static IP fair enough.
BT Business is an option where these features are required.

The point is the op has had congestion since May, that's almost 6 months of congestion, so my advice stands to migrate out to another ISP.

If advanced features are not required standard residential broadband is fine.
For more features / better CS, TalkTalk Business and BT business are decent options.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-16 00:34:40
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Agree standard CS is not good but there are a few good teams within BT. You just need to know where to email / call. Once you reach UK support they are very good, as many have found out on here when i have put them in touch with said people.

Web censorship is no worse than virginmedia or sky in my experience.

Static IP fair enough.
BT Business is an option where these features are required.

The point is the op has had congestion since May, that's almost 6 months of congestion, so my advice stands to migrate out to another ISP.

If advanced features are not required standard residential broadband is fine.
For more features / better CS, TalkTalk Business and BT business are decent options.
quite how BT business justify a fee each month for a static ip i do not know , as it costs nothing to the isp
(isp) Fri 21-Oct-16 09:23:41
Print Post

[re: Kste] [link to this post]

Hi Kste,

PM received and added to my list. Apologies that this has been going on for so long.

We're working closely with our backhaul provider to resolve at least one issue that could be causing this. It has been escalated and we're chasing them daily, so we are taking this very seriously. We're also looking into possible workarounds while our backhaul provider investigates.

Cheers,

Jon
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User craski
(member) Fri 21-Oct-16 10:01:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kste:
Zen used to be good, but its like they only care about business customers now.

I am a business customer and still get mediocre performance. This is a fairly typical graph shape for me, not terrible but not great either:-
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14770...

(isp) Fri 21-Oct-16 10:49:06
Print Post

Hi,

I'd like to get this looked into. Could you please raise a fault if you've not done already, and PM me your username?

Thanks,

Jon
Standard User Kste
(newbie) Sat 22-Oct-16 01:27:49
Print Post

Hi Kste,

PM received and added to my list. Apologies that this has been going on for so long.

We're working closely with our backhaul provider to resolve at least one issue that could be causing this. It has been escalated and we're chasing them daily, so we are taking this very seriously. We're also looking into possible workarounds while our backhaul provider investigates.

Cheers,

Jon

Hello,

I PM'ed you, and the issue appears to have gone, getting single thread at around 60-70.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Sat 22-Oct-16 16:53:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:

please don't suggest BT consumer they have [censored] cs and tech support, that is as well as no static IP and their web censorship bs,

Talk Talk Business, every time.
(isp) Mon 24-Oct-16 09:23:22
Print Post

That's excellent news, thanks for letting us know.

We'll be working on the plan for the other affected exchanges over the next few days, and I'll provide an update when we have one. The workaround we've applied in this case isn't always possible, so some exchanges will need additional work.

I'll also look at getting a service alert up that lists the affected exchanges.

I'd encourage anyone else experiencing slow single-thread download speeds to raise a fault with our tech support teams if not done so already, and PM me your username/fault reference.

Thanks again,

Jon
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 25-Oct-16 07:40:43
Print Post

PM sent.
I'm still seeing single threads busting up and down all over the place.

(isp) Tue 25-Oct-16 10:56:35
Print Post

Hi Craski,

Thanks, I've replied to your PM. It looks like this isn't linked to the wider issue that Spudgun and Kste's lines are, so it'll need to be progressed with our Tech Support teams.

Thanks,

Jon
Standard User Spudgun
(regular) Tue 25-Oct-16 19:37:54
Print Post

I'm delighted to say that the fix that Zen have put in place over night has fixed this issue for me.

Today's speedtest looks completely different from the one in the opening post of this thread

Thank you to Jon and the rest of the technical services team for fixing this smile

Edited by Spudgun (Tue 25-Oct-16 20:29:29)

(isp) Tue 25-Oct-16 19:57:56
Print Post

I'm delighted to say that the fix that Zen have put in place over night has fixed this issue for me.

Today's speedtest looks completely different from the one in the opening post of this thread

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html?utm_sou...

Thank you to Jon and the rest of the technical services team for fixing this smile

Excellent news, thanks for taking the time to update the thread! It looks like your speedtest link needs fixing though, and I do want to see the results!

We're working our way through the list of affected exchanges to check if we can apply the same fix. As we've discovered with Craski's line though, even though symptoms appear similar, we can't always apply the same fix, and so far have identified at least three separate causes of similar symptoms.

Happy for anyone to PM me their username if they want me to take a look.
Standard User Spudgun
(regular) Tue 25-Oct-16 20:29:06
Print Post

Sorry about the link, this one should now work

The difference to my connection is night and day, thank you so much for fixing this, I am mightily impressed!
Standard User craski
(member) Wed 26-Oct-16 08:27:56
Print Post

Nice. Good result.

Standard User Deft
(experienced) Mon 31-Oct-16 21:53:50
Print Post

I still see this problem on my connection. I e-mailed support in June about it I think. I can PM my username.
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Wed 02-Nov-16 18:53:42
Print Post

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

Mine now appears fixed, thanks to Jon @ Zen for looking into it for me.
(isp) Wed 02-Nov-16 19:32:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deft:

That's excellent news. No problem at all, glad I could help.

Thanks to everyone who's provided their details so far. Please keep them coming!
Standard User Samadeus
(learned) Fri 04-Nov-16 10:58:07
Print Post

Just wondering if you could have a look at my line, I've been having problems since May and I'm starting to lose the will to live, it's been 6 months, I've moved from Zen backhaul to BT backhaul and I'm now seeing the same issues.

zen271052

When I've got the music, I've got a place to go.

BTopenworld > ZeN > Virgin > BTBroadband > ZeN 80/20
Standard User rippedcotton
(experienced) Mon 14-Nov-16 12:35:39
Print Post

That's excellent news. No problem at all, glad I could help.

Thanks to everyone who's provided their details so far. Please keep them coming!

I'm seeing about 20Mbps on single thread speed test, but about 70Mbps on 6 threads. Is this the same issue?

If it is then I assume I can raise a fault report via the customer portal and then PM you my details here?

Cheers!

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 sync

Edited by rippedcotton (Mon 14-Nov-16 12:38:28)

(isp) Mon 14-Nov-16 13:01:13
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rippedcotton:
I'm seeing about 20Mbps on single thread speed test, but about 70Mbps on 6 threads. Is this the same issue?

If it is then I assume I can raise a fault report via the customer portal and then PM you my details here?

Cheers!

Just PM me your username please and I'll look into your account and advise further.

Jon
(experienced) Tue 15-Nov-16 10:31:50
Print Post

Just PM me your username please and I'll look into your account and advise further.

Jon

Done...

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 sync
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Nov-16 18:26:55
Print Post

[re: rippedcotton] [link to this post]

Worse tonight BTW was better

And Zen's own tester Speedtest.zen result

html 5 tester

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 18-Nov-16 18:37:08)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 13:21:58
Print Post

last night

today

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 25-Nov-16 13:23:09)

Standard User 3MbBik
(learned) Fri 25-Nov-16 13:31:55
Print Post

During the three months when my 80-20 VDSL was regularly reduced during the working day and evening to this typical example;

Whilst when the peak was over it always provided full speed overnight;

Zen refused my request to leave without paying an exit fee.

Eventually Zen upgraded their London Hub and my single thread degradation during busy periods disappeared.

Alas I notice that this type of peak time performance degradation is slowly returning;

But, I am now relieved to say that my initial 12 month VDSL contract period will end tomorrow.

Godfrey.
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Fri 25-Nov-16 16:36:11
Print Post

[re: 3MbBik] [link to this post]

Add another to the list. Wish I'd never moved to Zen now given the other issues I've been having, and its only bee two days....

Edit: waiting to speak to someone on the phone, in a queue.

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM

Edited by Cruncher (Fri 25-Nov-16 16:39:48)

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Mon 28-Nov-16 20:25:40
Print Post

[re: Cruncher] [link to this post]

Fixed.

So they put me on a new VLAN (I think thats what they said they were doing, I was at work and doing several things at once when they called) Apparently the one I was on was congested.

The result:

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 29-Nov-16 10:26:01
Print Post

Looks like a definite improvement. I hope the fix works long term for you.

I've been shuffled onto different SVLANs several times in an effort to avoid congestion and the problems for me always return. I'm on BT Wholesale back-haul and my particular problem has been blamed on BT Wholesale continually overloading their SVLANs. Its been a never ending battle to maintain a decent connection, a huge waste of time and effort.

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Tue 29-Nov-16 10:35:16
Print Post

Sounds bad dude. Hopfully it doesn't degrade again, if it does I'll be back on to them.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 03:54:09
Print Post

Mine is still not fixed yet, this was a early morning test when things are quiter , looks like it's congestion because it's nowhere near during the day time or evenings even after 12am , this result isnt quite perfect on the single thread , but nearly maxing
Speed test result
Daytime
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14805...

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 30-Nov-16 14:32:33)

(experienced) Wed 30-Nov-16 10:50:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Cruncher:
Fixed.

So they put me on a new VLAN (I think thats what they said they were doing, I was at work and doing several things at once when they called) Apparently the one I was on was congested.

The result:

That looks somewhat better than mine, I have about 50Mbps single thread vs 73Mbps for 6 threads. At one point the single thread number was 20Mbps so it's been improved.

I don't know how much Zen can do, my line is on GEA whereas it was originally on BT WBC backhaul.

--

Brian

Zen Fibre 2 - 78/20 sync
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 19:27:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Mine is still not fixed yet, this was a early morning test when things are quiter , looks like it's congestion because it's nowhere near during the day time or evenings even after 12am , this result isnt quite perfect on the single thread , but nearly maxing
Speed test result
Daytime

Evening http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14805...

To me this is congestion or a contention issue, perhaps if they didn't route so much via their London data centre and used their Manchester one instead this wouldn't be happening? What is even more disappointingly is that unlike most if not all isp's Zen are unique in that they have peering and other data transit connectivity in or near Manchester but choose not to use it and overload other parts of their network doing this doesn't make any sense to me

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 30-Nov-16 19:58:32)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-16 17:36:20
Print Post

Still not fixed Early eve test
Still waiting since Wednesday for that callback after one of zen's tech support staff called saying that some changes had been made and asked if there was any improvement, and requested a speed test on zen's speed tester ,which also showed the issue was still present
Out of the speed tests i have ran, a few show that the single thread throughput actually starts off at the max but then backs off, Then there are some ,where it won't go above 35-40mbps
So, my patience with this is starting to wear thin 2weeks so far with degraded performance , all because someone decided to migrate my circuit to GEA (which in itself isn't the issue) but then also route all my traffic via a congested or defective part of the network when an alternative existed and still does route via manchester instead none of this ,revert my circuit back onto WBMC ,

And as i also have a potential HR fault ,i don't want this preventing zen from being able to investigate this further by running the C I D T ect due to an order to migrate blah blah blah, Enough of the bs

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 01-Dec-16 22:11:51)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Dec-16 09:37:34
Print Post

Well the circuit was migrated back to WBMC just after midnight , back on a lower sync and fast path after another DLM reset, but until i rang Zen i had no internet router couldn't auth, was down to something their end, And now i have this which i never had before they migrated the circuit over to GEA what have they done,? 2 weeks of a degraded service and some 8hrs with no service woeful at best WBMC test
I am now hoping that it will be sorted later today and no later like next week

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 02-Dec-16 09:42:08)

Standard User NICK_ADSL_UK
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Dec-16 18:20:40
Print Post

I have just spoke to zen and it appears to be a ongoing problem with no sign of a solution

Wilders Security Admin
Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider

For the latest in virus software signatures
From the Security specialists
Wilders security

Keep Your Security /Software Current
Upgrades, Updates & Definitions
Major Geeks

Microsoft Security Advisories
Twitter

Standard User bet_here
(member) Sun 04-Dec-16 00:36:36
Print Post

[re: NICK_ADSL_UK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NICK_ADSL_UK:
I have just spoke to zen and it appears to be a ongoing problem with no sign of a solution

The single-thread issue started for me over a year ago now - I bailed out to AAISP when they told me the same thing back in August.
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Dec-16 12:03:07
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

i'm sure they'll work it out. ?

Wilders Security Admin

Wilders security

Major Geeks

Twitter

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 16:06:48
Print Post

i'm sure they'll work it out. ?
woefull

Again poor

Single thread thinks its adsl2+

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 05-Dec-16 18:40:24)

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Dec-16 18:50:30
Print Post

just a update in that my Poor single thread performance problem has now been fixed

Wilders Security Admin

Wilders security

Major Geeks

Twitter

Edited by NICK_ADSL_UK (Wed 07-Dec-16 18:53:00)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Dec-16 21:08:33
Print Post

just a update in that my Poor single thread performance problem has now been fixed

I thought mine had until today worked ok last night and until a BT OR engineer unplugged the modem to access the test jack to run tests, He found a fault on the E side, reset DLM and the issue has returned 7/12/16
Standard User Scottish_Pete
(member) Wed 07-Dec-16 22:45:20
Print Post

Zen must have put me on your old bit of kit

Scottish_Pete

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 connected to Local Exchange
TBB SPEEDTEST
MY BQM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Dec-16 23:32:57
Print Post

[re: Scottish_Pete] [link to this post]

your best bet Pete is to pm (ISP) jongreen84 and let him and the team take a look

Good luck smile

Wilders Security Admin

Wilders security

Major Geeks

Twitter

Edited by NICK_ADSL_UK (Wed 07-Dec-16 23:33:57)

Standard User apone
(newbie) Tue 20-Dec-16 18:44:48
Print Post

Anyone know what the fix is for some of us who have the same problem with other ISPs?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Dec-16 18:59:36
Print Post

[re: apone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by apone:
Anyone know what the fix is for some of us who have the same problem with other ISPs?

Move to a different ISP if your current ISP is unwilling to fix/acknowledge the issue.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 20-Dec-16 19:54:38
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

... or unable to fix it.

Zen acknowledge the issue on my line but seem unable to fix it. My ~70Mb line is down into single digits at times for me again.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Dec-16 20:02:34
Print Post

In that case your only option is to move, plenty of ISPs out there (many cheaper than Zen) where the same issue doesn't exist.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 20-Dec-16 22:46:27
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

meanwhile on TTB - business as usual and all is well wink

Sorry - had to promote them, I think they are the best i've been with so far.
Standard User Mac99
(newbie) Wed 21-Dec-16 05:49:42
Print Post

[re: apone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by apone:

What ISP are you with?

Regards
Mac
Standard User craski
(member) Wed 21-Dec-16 07:13:42
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:

Top of my list wink

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 12:02:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by craski:

Top of my list wink

Using them right now - good choice smile
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 21-Dec-16 21:12:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by craski:

Top of my list wink

You can tell when I use my connection.. lol

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/57dce2a8406...
(member) Tue 27-Dec-16 13:05:09
Print Post

Are there still some people suffering from the poor single thread speeds with Zen or am I just suffering from congestion?

Scottish_Pete

TBB SPEEDTEST
MY BQM
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Wed 28-Dec-16 12:19:38
Print Post

I've done a few speedtests since mine was fixed 2 months ago, and I've never seen any single thread issues since then.
(member) Wed 28-Dec-16 16:27:47
Print Post

I've done a few speedtests since mine was fixed 2 months ago, and I've never seen any single thread issues since then.

Thanks for the reply.

How long did you have problems for before Zen fixed it?

Got a wee bit extra speed today, a whole 1.5Mbps.

Will give it till my next billing date and if not any better will start looking for another ISP.

Scottish_Pete

TBB SPEEDTEST
MY BQM
Standard User Deft
(experienced) Fri 30-Dec-16 10:43:01
Print Post

Well it was one of these threads here that alerted me to the issue. You could argue that perhaps I wouldn't have known otherwise, as mostly nowadays providing Netflix and Amazon stream video ok I don't get too twitchy on speed requirements (I sync at around 40/10 FTTC).
I logged a support ticket in June which acknowledged the issue and asked me to try doing direct tests off the Openreach modem too. My setup makes this a bit awkward and it wasn't causing me enough issues to pursue the matter vigorously. I did keep adding the odd speedtest on Zen's version of the Thinkbroadband tester just so they had some more data.
Then I saw this post and it seemed like Zen had found some kind of fix / workaround - PM'ed my Zen username to jongreen further up and it was fixed. No problems since.
Standard User bsdnazz
(learned) Fri 20-Jan-17 09:16:57
Print Post

I've just replaced my Billion 7800N ADSL router (using the HG612 modem and WAN interface on the Billion) with a Ubiquity ER-X router and re-run the speed test.

It's had a marked change on my single thread download which now maxes out at virtually the same speed as the x6 test. I wonder if there's a limit (unintentional I would assume) within the Billion and how much it can download per thread.

Test Results

Second Test

Edited by bsdnazz (Fri 20-Jan-17 11:53:31)

(member) Wed 08-Mar-17 23:20:20
Print Post

After a couple of months of normal service the slow single speed has returned for me.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Earlier Tonight

Just Now

Not only that but I have lost about another 8Mbps of speed and am now synced around the 58Mbps. So in two years I have lost about 20Mbps in speed from the days of 79.9Mbps.

Scottish_Pete

TBB SPEEDTEST
MY BQM
Standard User Adrian
(experienced) Fri 10-Mar-17 10:30:21
Print Post

I'm with IDNet and recently I have been experiencing the same problem. IDNet say they can't see any problem at their end but clearly something is amiss. Are you on Zen or BT backhaul?

Adrian
(member) Sat 11-Mar-17 01:23:31
Print Post

[re: Adrian] [link to this post]

Well I was on BT Backhaul.

But, looking in my Portal on Zen I have just seen I have had a "Zen Fibre Migration GEA- Fulfilled on the 08/03/2017", which I take it to mean I am on their backhaul some of the way now, with the closes POP being Stirling, I think.

Coincidently, this is about the same time as my connection started playing up, download speed dropped, slow single thread speed , downstream Interleaving being turned off and G.INP being turned off, but apart from that everything else is the OK.

Scottish_Pete

TBB SPEEDTEST
MY BQM
Standard User Adrian
(experienced) Sat 11-Mar-17 12:23:14
Print Post

Interesting.

I assume I am on BT backhaul, though I believe IDNet do make some use of Zen. IDNet support only ever refer to "our supplier" so I have no way of finding out if Zen is involved.

Adrian
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Mar-17 13:27:50
Print Post

[re: Adrian] [link to this post]

I would think if IDNet are buying in services from Zen, then it would be their LLU services.

It's difficult to see what IDNet would think there was any value add in terms of buying in BTW services from Zen rather than buying them directly.

Just my 1p's worth.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Mar-17 11:32:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Scottish_Pete:
But, looking in my Portal on Zen I have just seen I have had a "Zen Fibre Migration GEA- Fulfilled on the 08/03/2017", which I take it to mean I am on their backhaul some of the way now, with the closes POP being Stirling, I think.
You've moved to Zen's network, which means there is no BT Wholesale in use any more for your connection - it's Zen backhaul all the way from the Openreach handover point to Zen's core. The fibres in your area probably go back to a larger exchange where Zen has presence, which could be many miles away. jongreen from Zen tell me that the fibres from my area go back to an exchange nearly fifteen miles away where Zen has presence.

You'll now be on a different VLAN over the Openreach infrastructure. This change of VLAN might have caused a DLM reset, hence your loss of G.INP and all the consequential issues. If you leave things alone, hopefully G.INP will be put back on your downstream and everything else goes back to what it was.

If you have single thread performance issues once things have settled, send a private message to jongreen so that he can investigate if it's the known backhaul configuration issue.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
(member) Sun 12-Mar-17 23:37:12
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Well the nearest exchange with a Zen presents that I have found is Stirling which is about 40 miles away or Waverley Exchange in Edinburgh at 50 miles. Unless they now have POP in the Perth Exchange, which is 8 miles by road, or Dundee, 24 miles away as the crow flies, that the details have not been updated.

Will give it till the end of the month and see if it improves. If not and they can't put it back the way it was, I may give Talk Talk Business a try as it says they have presence in my local exchange.

Scottish_Pete

TBB SPEEDTEST
MY BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to