User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-17 23:15:47
Print Post

Openreach's technical definion of withheld changed?

[link to this post]

I haven't had the opportunity until now to query this but thought I'd sound people out here first before I approach Zen.

This is categorically not a whinge about Zen.

I've always had the landlines set as ex-directory and number withheld by default when dialling out (if I phone someone I know I'll usually lift it by dialling 1470 but I don't want companies harvesting the number automatically, the PPI [censored] is bad enough.

Anyway, I rang up to pay a credit card and was just getting ready to enter the number when their system announced it had found my details based on the number I'd called from!

I paid the card and went though to a rep who didn't seem to know about any changes.

If I ring my mobile from the landline it appears as private number.

Anyone shed any light?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 8800NL
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User panda
(committed) Mon 06-Feb-17 08:07:07
Print Post

Re: Openreach's technical definion of withheld changed?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

It won't be anything to do with Openreach, as they don't manage the exchange equipment - that's down to the service provider (or their wholesaler if they use one for a calls package).

When a call is made, there are two pieces of information also transmitted.
One is the CLI - Which you can control and turn off.
The other is used by the network operator and also includes the originating number. This is required so the operator can route the call correctly and bill the originator even if they withhold their CLI.

I don't know if it's the case, but it's not impossible that the CC company has an agreement with their provider so the network information is passed to them with the call - Perhaps as an anti-fraud measure?

Eats shoots and leaves.
ISP Representative ZenInternetPR
(isp) Mon 06-Feb-17 10:33:25
Print Post

Hi Techguy,

We'd like to investigate this & see if we can help, please can you PM over your Zen details/land line number?

Thanks,

Zen
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 17:38:19
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

Cheers Panda

I'll mail tech support and ask.

No real issue if that is indeed the case but I would hope it's only financial institutions that can do this as it kind of makes a mockery of having the setting changed,

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 8800NL
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 18:10:46
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

Techguy and Panda

The network operator can ONLY pass the Network CLI to another operator and is breaking OFCOM rules if passing it to any other customer.

So ZEN ( your network operator) will pass the Customer CLI as withheld, abd this should be 'honoured' by every other operator dealing with the call.

If an operator is passing the network CLI to the end customerOFCOM will be very unhappy with them and a fine will be placed on the culprit Operator.
( Could be over £1m on the escalator OFCOM appear to be using!)

Take the ZEN offer up as they will be as interested as you in finding out how this has happened and will take it up on your behalf.

In reply to a post by ZenInternetPR:
Hi Techguy,

We'd like to investigate this & see if we can help, please can you PM over your Zen details/land line number?

Thanks,

Zen
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-17 18:31:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by techguy:
I haven't had the opportunity until now to query this but thought I'd sound people out here first before I approach Zen.

This is categorically not a whinge about Zen.

I've always had the landlines set as ex-directory and number withheld by default when dialling out (if I phone someone I know I'll usually lift it by dialling 1470 but I don't want companies harvesting the number automatically, the PPI [censored] is bad enough.

Anyway, I rang up to pay a credit card and was just getting ready to enter the number when their system announced it had found my details based on the number I'd called from!

I paid the card and went though to a rep who didn't seem to know about any changes.

If I ring my mobile from the landline it appears as private number.

Anyone shed any light?
my mobile shows my withheld land line number as private number, and not withheld, I'm not with zen, my number isn't displayed (displays "no number") so i think that bit is normal, as for the other bit ???

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 06-Feb-17 18:34:43)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 06-Feb-17 19:13:11
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

tommy45

'Private number' is the mobile equivalent of 'Withheld', they just use different standard phrases.
  Print Thread

Jump to