User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(member) Mon 06-Mar-17 14:48:44
Print Post

Packet Loss of 40%

[link to this post]

Following what I think must have been BT maintenance at 00.25hrs on the 24th February, my line dropped from attainable speeds of 85D and 23U to 67.4D and 18U. A look at my Line data shows no major issues for nearly 3 years prior to this 25% fall. . Associated with this has been frequent bursts of latency up to 150ms and, from 10am today, almost constant packet loss of 40%. To date, Zen's support has been lack lustre: i.e., little we can do as the speed is still above 55 (the impacted figure?).

I am not sure what to do next? I am considering migrating to AAISP but I suspect that the fault would just migrate with me unless I pay for a separate copper pair (new line).

I should add that my Fritz!Box 7490 log suggests that the issue is backhaul related. There are no errors showing on the downstream.
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Mon 06-Mar-17 15:10:01
Print Post

Re: Packet Loss of 40%

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Hi, Please can you PM me your details and I'll get this looked into for you ASAP!

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User lexden16
(member) Mon 06-Mar-17 15:18:50
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ajays:
Hi, Please can you PM me your details and I'll get this looked into for you ASAP!

PM sent. Your colleagues have all the details including graphs and screenshots.The issue was first reported last week.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 07-Mar-17 08:35:54
Print Post

Any thoughts on the likely cause of this on my BQM?

Here
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Mar-17 08:56:47
Print Post

Ouch.

No expert in this, but the text on the graph in the BQM FAQ that most closely matches your graph has the following cation against it:

This graph is showing consistent packet loss between 2% and 15%, which would making gaming or Voice over IP (VoIP) across the connection very difficult. The minimum latency is higher than average, which suggests a permanently congested link somewhere between the broadband router and our BQM Pingbox. The fact the blue area is still narrow suggests the packet loss is not due to the user downloading on the connection, but some issue in a core network.

Not sure how relevant it is to you though as your minimum ping looks to be a steady 12ms.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 07-Mar-17 09:26:32
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Ouch.

No expert in this, but the text on the graph in the BQM FAQ that most closely matches your graph has the following cation against it:

This graph is showing consistent packet loss between 2% and 15%, which would making gaming or Voice over IP (VoIP) across the connection very difficult. The minimum latency is higher than average, which suggests a permanently congested link somewhere between the broadband router and our BQM Pingbox. The fact the blue area is still narrow suggests the packet loss is not due to the user downloading on the connection, but some issue in a core network.

Not sure how relevant it is to you though as your minimum ping looks to be a steady 12ms.

Thanks. Zen, I am afraid, are offering no practical help or support whatsoever. I am bitterly disappointed with their response given the time that I have been with them. I am now looking at switching ISP - possibly to a LLU provider or to AAISP.
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 07-Mar-17 09:28:00
Print Post

Stating the obvious but clearly a cyclic pattern repeating every 5hrs or so.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User craski
(member) Tue 07-Mar-17 09:31:27
Print Post

I wish BQMs could be tagged with metadata like, ISP, Exchange, cabinet to help trouble shoot problems like this.

e.g. If you could see other BQMs on your cabinet or exchange and they are the same it helps to narrow down where the problem might be and helps expose under performing ISP's if others using same ISP are seeing similar patterns.

Zen Unlimited Fibre Office BQM
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 07-Mar-17 09:49:13
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

My BQM was better than yours prior to the 24th February with an up time in weeks, and max attainable speeds of 85D and 24U. There is also an ongoing PCP change which as I have alluded to before may be a factor.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Mar-17 10:25:35
Print Post

That is an ugly BQM - bouts of huge packet loss, implying that either there is some defect or a congested link somewhere. Considering the timing, it looks more like a defect such as failed equipment or possibly a configuration error; I wouldn't expect severe congestion in the middle of the night.

There is no general problem with Zen, as can be seen from the IPv4 and IPv6 BQMs in my signature. I'm on Zen backhaul, not BT Wholesale.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to