User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(member) Wed 08-Mar-17 11:41:05
Print Post

Re: Packet Loss of 40%

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
If you didn't know about the BQM, would you have said you're seeing performance issues from generally using your connection?

Yes, a 25% drop in the max attainable speed after 3-4 years of stability suggests a performance issue. Ten days of high latency as detected by speed tests (+150ms+) and now packet loss suggests that there is an issue. I appreciate that most people would regard 67D as a good FTTC connection but from where I am sitting I can see the guys working on the 2 PCPs and underground cable.

Until now, I have rarely looked at the BQM - my line just worked. The fact that the deterioration occurred after a midnight event suggests, to me, that it is maintenance related. The ongoing PCP change is a factor that isn't helping. In fairness to the guys, they are trying to sort out a mess not of their making.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Mar-17 11:52:46
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In my experience packet loss isn't a facet of a 'line fault', it is always equipment (somewhere) or off in magic internet land.

I would have stood by that apart from the cab changeover they are doing, so time to take the lads some tea and biscuits and ask if, at present, your pair is teed to both cabs. Even then this is straw clutching.

Does trace route show where the loss may be coming from ?

[edit]Now I think of it, if it were teed to both a remote test would be showing bridge tap, and I suspect Zen might have picked this up already.

Edited by Zarjaz (Wed 08-Mar-17 11:54:26)

Standard User lexden16
(member) Wed 08-Mar-17 12:11:50
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
In my experience packet loss isn't a facet of a 'line fault', it is always equipment (somewhere) or off in magic internet land.

I would have stood by that apart from the cab changeover they are doing, so time to take the lads some tea and biscuits and ask if, at present, your pair is teed to both cabs. Even then this is straw clutching.

Does trace route show where the loss may be coming from ?

[edit]Now I think of it, if it were teed to both a remote test would be showing bridge tap, and I suspect Zen might have picked this up already.

I have agreed with Zen that it makes no sense to look at the issue again until the PCP work is complete which should be the case by COP Friday. The guys at the PCP have been extremely helpful - even to the point of re-jumpering my connection in the old cabinet. As I posted earlier, they say that they have had some SFI engineer visits to resolve issues as wires keep breaking. This would have been the case last Wednesday had I just contacted Zen and told them that I had the VDSL carrier but no internet connection. I suspect that many who do not have access to their stats haven't a clue what might have been happening to their lines. Perhaps too much information is a bad thing.

I am still considering a move to AAISP which with my usage would cost me £5 a month more. This is the second occasion in 3 years where Zen Support has proved to be less supportive than I would have expected. The previous incident involved a loss of PPPoE authentication. Eventually, a SFI engineer was called: he took one look at some F!B logs, and a simple authentication test using a laptop and no router that I had set up, and he identified a radius fault between BTW and BTOR. After a telephone call, a lift and switch and DLM re-set, he was on his way in 20 minutes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pontefract
(committed) Wed 08-Mar-17 12:20:39
Print Post

My experience of this is very different; I've seen many line faults where packet loss has been a symptom.

--
Paul Simpson

The opinions expressed in posts on this forum are entirely my own. They should not be seen as reflecting the views of my employer or as having been authorized or approved by anyone other than me.

PLEASE NOTE; I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 08-Mar-17 12:31:54
Print Post

Could you post your latest BQM? Do you have a copy of your line test from Zen?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Mar-17 12:51:47
Print Post

[re: Pontefract] [link to this post]

My experience of this is very different; I've seen many line faults where packet loss has been a symptom.

How were these faults resolved, and what kind of line faults were they ?

Standard User lexden16
(member) Wed 08-Mar-17 12:54:18
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
Could you post your latest BQM? Do you have a copy of your line test from Zen?

This is my latest snapshotBQM

It has been turned off for a couple of hours to see whether anything changed on the IPv6 BQM. It didn't: packet loss is 100%.

This forum page took 23 seconds to load on a wired LAN.

My speed tests are fine for the profile that I am now on. (65227/18171).

I had a disconnect for 5 mins at 12.01. My profile fell a notch but my line attenuation has increased from 13/13 to 16/14, SNR 6/6 so I am wondering whether my line is now via the new PCP. It is raining and the guys are in their igloos so I don't want to bother them.

Fritz!Box errors are also very low after 50mins Fritz!Box 3 ES 0 MSES CRC 0.6/M last 15 mins O

Central Exchange 0 0 0 0

Perhaps things are on the up.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Wed 08-Mar-17 13:13:10
Print Post

If you can access the internet and you're seeing 100% packet loss on the v6 BQM, then it's almost certainly the router blocking ICMP requests.

To me, that BQM does not show a line fault. If there was an underlying issue with the line causing severe packet loss, then you would not expect to see such a low minimum/average latency on your line (looks around 12ms for you). The router would be reporting errors and the BT line check would be showing there are errors on the line and DLM keeps intervening.

It's definitely worth pressing Zen for a copy of the BT line test results. This contains useful information about how your line is performing and how DLM is intervening.
Standard User Pontefract
(committed) Wed 08-Mar-17 14:21:52
Print Post

Mostly physical line degradation of some sort or water ingress. Usually resolved by an SFI visit.

The number of observations this is based on is large - my day job has involved resolving DSL faults at various ISPs on and off since about 2003.

--
Paul Simpson

The opinions expressed in posts on this forum are entirely my own. They should not be seen as reflecting the views of my employer or as having been authorized or approved by anyone other than me.

PLEASE NOTE; I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Wed 08-Mar-17 14:28:59
Print Post

[re: Pontefract] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pontefract:

Mostly physical line degradation of some sort or water ingress. Usually resolved by an SFI visit.

The number of observations this is based on is large - my day job has involved resolving DSL faults at various ISPs on and off since about 2003.

Useful to know. Thank you.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to