User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 14-Mar-17 10:00:00
Print Post

Re: Packet Loss of 40%

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Update:

The PCP men have gone - hopefully, never to return. My router log shows 44 disconnects in total since the beginning of this month. Not surprisingly, DLM has kicked and I have a profile of 67/20 with max attainable speeds of 67/23. The error rate is low but webpages are often slow to load. My latest BQM is:here

My line is due to change from BT backhaul to Zen's own system tomorrow (according to another ISP) so I will see if that changes anything.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 16-Mar-17 12:36:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by lexden16:
My line is due to change from BT backhaul to Zen's own system tomorrow (according to another ISP) so I will see if that changes anything.

How would another ISP know this?
Standard User lexden16
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 12:43:22
Print Post

[re: AndyHCZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndyHCZ:
In reply to a post by lexden16:

How would another ISP know this?

They picked up on the fact that there was a broadband cease order showing for my line on the BT Availability Checker. As I hadn't initiated a cease, they concluded - correctly - that it was most likely a re-grade which, after checking in the depths of the Zen Portal, proved to be the case. The line was moved from WMBC to GEA just after midnight on the 15th, and my downstream is back at 78 - still about 5Mbps less than was the case before this nonsense started.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 16-Mar-17 12:50:22
Print Post

I would be extremely surprised (and concerned) if ISPs were not informed.

I see planned engineering work all the time, affecting anything from a few lines, up to hundreds of lines and more. For the most part, PEWs do not affect end users or if they do, they result in a very brief loss of disconnection in the early hours. I think is why nearly all ISPs do not report this work.

I am not aware of a single ISP that would automatically report every single planned engineering work affecting specific circuits to end users. There are a variety of sources of PEW and I think it's quite a big task for any ISP to be able to input the multiple daily updates and then output this as meaningful and useful information for end users.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:00:28
Print Post

I would be extremely surprised (and concerned) if ISPs were not informed.

I see planned engineering work all the time, affecting anything from a few lines, up to hundreds of lines and more. For the most part, PEWs do not affect end users or if they do, they result in a very brief loss of disconnection in the early hours. I think is why nearly all ISPs do not report this work.

I am not aware of a single ISP that would automatically report every single planned engineering work affecting specific circuits to end users. There are a variety of sources of PEW and I think it's quite a big task for any ISP to be able to input the multiple daily updates and then output this as meaningful and useful information for end users.

I can assure you that according to Zen, they were not informed of this planned engineering work and it has never appeared on any of the PEW status reporting sites. Indeed, the very nice guys that I spoke to on site said that there should only be one disconnection per line. When I chatted to them a few days later, they admitted that they had found aluminium in the old cabinet that was giving them a lot of break of service issues ( which, in turn, meant that they were receiving a lot of complaints about BB disconnections from my neighbours).

I wasn't suggesting that the ISP should inform end users but, in my view, as I had raised an issue with them, I would have expected them to contact BTOR. All Zen would say is 'we do not have many customers on your exchange.'
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:02:59
Print Post

Not quite sure how this showed up as a cease. A cease should only happen if the underling WLR/MPF is cancelled or the FTTC service is stopped.

It should have been a migration or possibly, a C/S-VLAN move (I am not sure how BTWholesale deal with this). If that's the case, it would have shown on the systems and stopped anyone else from placing an order.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(experienced) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:03:48
Print Post

Which exchange are you on?

If I was in Zen's position, I would then be making a formal complaint to Openreach as it's a breach of the SLA for FTTC.

Edited by AndyHCZ (Thu 16-Mar-17 13:04:38)

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Thu 16-Mar-17 13:41:48
Print Post

Not quite sure how this showed up as a cease. A cease should only happen if the underling WLR/MPF is cancelled or the FTTC service is stopped.

It should have been a migration or possibly, a C/S-VLAN move (I am not sure how BTWholesale deal with this). If that's the case, it would have shown on the systems and stopped anyone else from placing an order.

The words used were:

There is currently a Broadband cease pending or in progress against this line. This cease is due to complete by 15th March 2017. This will not stop you ordering Broadband from a new supplier, but it will delay the provision of the new Broadband service.

It is interesting that (a) Zen does not pro-actively inform its customers off this backhaul change and (b) support couldn't tell me when the re-grade would go through. No big deal; that said, others have been worried about this in the past as posted on this site. Indeed, even I joked with my family that we might be in for a few internet free days if it was a genuine cease order.
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Wed 05-Apr-17 14:04:54
Print Post

And what the Lord Giveth, the Lord Taketh Away:

BQM Here

I still haven't got a clue what was going on. There are no events showing in my system log.
Standard User DougM
(member) Wed 05-Apr-17 14:26:51
Print Post

Hi lexden16,

I started having a packet loss issue around the same date, and I also use a Fritz!Box 7490. Two engineer visits and no faults could be found; the JSU showed the line was perfect.

I heard about another Fritz user with the same symptoms, and I checked and noticed that Fritz!OS 06.80 was released around that time. I used the DSL option to use the previous DSL formware, and since then my errors have disappeared and my line rate has restored: it took DLM a couple of weeks but I'm back to where I was. I've avoided upgrading to Fritz!OS 06.83 since it doesn't mention and DSL fixes.

You may not have the same issue, but downgrading the DSL firmware might be worth a shot.

-==-
DougM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to