User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 13:19:50
Print Post

New order appeared in customer portal

[link to this post]

I just logged into the customer portal and saw a new product order has appeared on my account even though I haven't ordered anything. I upgraded from ADSL to Fibre (broadband only) back in October 2013. Has anyone else had this appear or have any idea what it's about?

http://i.imgur.com/Wmg6rsp.jpg

Obviously I've edited out my phone, name etc
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 18-Mar-17 14:10:59
Print Post

Re: New order appeared in customer portal

[re: No_One] [link to this post]

my guess would be migration to LLU.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 14:16:05
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Will that make any difference as our phone line is still with BT and not Zen?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sat 18-Mar-17 21:31:55
Print Post

[re: No_One] [link to this post]

It's exactly that: a change of backhaul from BT WMBC to Zen GEA. My line was transferred on Wednesday. My log just shows a DSL re-synch, and I am now on a new open profile. It will not affect your phone connection.

If you look at the BT Availability Checker it will show that there is a BB cease on your line with a date.

I am not sure why Zen doesn't inform customers of this regrade. It would be courteous to do so.
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 19-Mar-17 13:54:26
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Can I ask a supplementary which I confess has got me baffled? Since my line was switched to Zen GEA, I can see that there has been a DLM re-set which, thankfully, has over-turned two weeks of falling speeds caused by BTOR's work on my local PCP.

That said, my line is now on an open FTTC profile. When my line was WMBC, my understanding was that the line was set up for speed not stability. I have just read some posts going back 3 years ago that suggests that Zen's GEA FTTC set up is based on stability not speed. If this is the accurate, then it may account for a loss of 5Mbps in my max downstream speed. I cannot believe that this is all down to a change in crosstalk.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Mar-17 14:55:17
Print Post

In the early days of Zen's backhaul network they were mistakenly ordering 'own network' FTTC ports on a more conservative (lower speed, potentially higher stability) than they chose for WBMC FTTC ports. On WBMC, Zen chose the most speed orientated profile by default. I believe part of the reason for this is that Openreach confusingly use different names for the three profiles than BT Wholesale do.

This problem was resolved long ago; Zen now order 'own network' FTTC ports and WBMC FTTC ports on the most speed orientated profile by default. Accordingly, this is not your issue.

If you post your statistics, we might be able to advise further. However, the loss of 5Mbit/s download speed is not unusual when work on a line takes place; the PCP work may well have lead to increased crosstalk. Crosstalk would also explain a drop in available speed; I'm not clear whether you're talking about available speed or sync speed.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Mon 20-Mar-17 11:46:36
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
In the early days of Zen's backhaul network they were mistakenly ordering 'own network' FTTC ports on a more conservative (lower speed, potentially higher stability) than they chose for WBMC FTTC ports. On WBMC, Zen chose the most speed orientated profile by default. I believe part of the reason for this is that Openreach confusingly use different names for the three profiles than BT Wholesale do.

This problem was resolved long ago; Zen now order 'own network' FTTC ports and WBMC FTTC ports on the most speed orientated profile by default. Accordingly, this is not your issue.

If you post your statistics, we might be able to advise further. However, the loss of 5Mbit/s download speed is not unusual when work on a line takes place; the PCP work may well have lead to increased crosstalk. Crosstalk would also explain a drop in available speed; I'm not clear whether you're talking about available speed or sync speed.

Thanks.

I am talking about a drop it max attainable speed from 85Mbps ( which it has held steady for over 2 years) and the 78Mbps now. In 'real' terms, I accept that I have no reason to be unhappy. My status are as follows:

Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 80000 20000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 77961 25727
Current throughput kbit/s 77961 20000
Seamless rate adaptation off off

Latency fast fast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP) 0 0
G.INP off off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 5 9
Bitswap on on
Line attenuation dB 13 12

Profile 17a
G.Vector off off

Carrier record A43 A43

Error Counter
Seconds With Not Remediable Errors (CRC)
Errors (ES) Many
Errors (SES) per
Minute Last
15 Minutes
FRITZ!Box 687 0 0.13 7
Central exchange 36 0 0 0

When my line was changed to GEA 5 days ago, the downstream SNR was a steady 6. It is now down to 5 with periods as low as 4. A fall in SNR does not generate extra errors. My line is via an ECI cabinet.

Edited by lexden16 (Mon 20-Mar-17 12:36:56)

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Mon 20-Mar-17 13:53:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by lexden16:
I am not sure why Zen doesn't inform customers of this regrade. It would be courteous to do so.

I was informed when all my lines where migrated - you should of got an email from them a week or so before the migration (At least I did)
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Mar-17 15:01:06
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:

When you migrate from WBMC to GEA and the reverse of this, Openreach DLM is reset to complete the changes, So if your line previously had G.inp active, it will loose this for several days, I know because thats what happened to my circuit as a result of this migration
In theory though as there is no longer a BTW IP profile the overheads should be reduced and therefore should see a throughput closer to the sync rate
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Mar-17 15:06:15
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IamQ:
In reply to a post by lexden16:

I was informed when all my lines were migrated - you should have got an email from them a week or so before the migration (At least I did)
They never e-mail me about it, i like the op only discovered it by chance in the zen portal, and then nearer the date of migration it appeared on the BT DSL checker,
It didn't benefit me as i got routed to London from the north west when routed via their manchester peering offered lower latency to several destinations and make little sense IMO being routed via London everything should not revolve around that place
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to