User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cleeve555
(newbie) Mon 03-Apr-17 06:42:53
Print Post

Zen provided ZyXEL VMG1312 router

[link to this post]

Hi,

Two questions on the ZyXEL VMG1312 router shipped by Zen for FTTC / VDSL2:

1. Does it come preconfigured to work? I ask since on the day of upgrade I may not be there to configure it
2. What exact model is shipped please? B10A or B10D or B30A?

TIA

Connection - Zen Unlimited Broadband ADSL2/2+ Sync 3300/1100kbps @ long piece of copper
Standard User Pablo_Pablovski
(regular) Mon 03-Apr-17 15:47:42
Print Post

Re: Zen provided ZyXEL VMG1312 router

[re: cleeve555] [link to this post]

I upgraded to FTTC about 6 weeks ago and have the Zen-supplied Zyxel VMG router. In response.

1. No. You need to edit / configure a couple of items, specifically the WAN profile for VDSL, plus your Zen user name and a VLAN, and you can set up your own wireless SSID and password. Details are provided with the email that comes from Zen but you can find them here,

2. Mine is a 810D, the upright one. You may want to upgrade the firmware on delivery. The latest version for that model is linked below (install at your own risk! But it worked without problems for me).

Router Firmware

Good luck!

ZeN
Standard User Pablo_Pablovski
(regular) Tue 04-Apr-17 09:06:18
Print Post

[re: Pablo_Pablovski] [link to this post]

Forgot to say, you can pre-configure the router with both ADSL and VDSL profiles, wifi etc. and then use it with your existing ADSL service. Then, when the fibre upgrade happens, it'll auto-connect without you being there to do anything.

ZeN

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cleeve555
(newbie) Thu 06-Apr-17 05:33:06
Print Post

Great, thanks for the updates. Very helpful

Connection - Zen Unlimited Broadband ADSL2/2+ Sync 3300/1100kbps @ long piece of copper
Standard User cleeve555
(newbie) Mon 24-Apr-17 08:23:07
Print Post

Quick update:

As suggested I configured the Zyxel router with both active ADSL and VDSL connectivity settings. Once the ADSL was moved to VDSL by Openreach, a simple reboot of the Zyxel enabled the VDSL and it then tghe new service just started working.

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Apr-17 08:53:03
Print Post

It looks like you need to update your signature following your upgrade. I hope you have found a worthwhile benefit from switching to VDSL2.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User olicuk
(regular) Mon 24-Apr-17 12:25:30
Print Post

I received a VMG1312 (-B10D) recently from Zen when moving house (as I'd not had a "free" router from them when I first took a VDSL service). Whilst everything else Zen organised was smooth and efficient, ie/ transfering my service from A to B, and keeping my static IP etc, my experience with the VMG1312 was less so. The main issue is that Zen use a provisioning engine to configure the router, and had set this up with the wrong account for the new property (old account, or temporary one). Whatever I did to configure the router for the correct account, at any restart it would re-provision back to the incorrect settings, leaving a house full of unhappy people with no internet access until the configuration was manually corrected each time. In the end Zen removed the router from the provisioning engine which resolved that particular problem.

Long answer therefore that with a standard setup Zen appear to provision the routers with your login details on this router, so it auto connects.

I also found my Draytek Vigor 130 VDSL2 modem (and subsequently the Draytek 2860 integrated router which I've changed to) connect at about 4Mbps faster than the Zyxel. So personally I'm just keeping the Zyxel for emergencies.

---------
fibre.everestpark.org.uk | Zen VDSL2 80:20 (~64:20) | Draytek 2820 + Ubiquiti AP + SureSignal + EE Signal Box + Netgear NAS
Standard User NetBear
(learned) Wed 10-May-17 21:07:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by cleeve555:
Hi,

Two questions on the ZyXEL VMG1312 router shipped by Zen for FTTC / VDSL2:

1. Does it come preconfigured to work? I ask since on the day of upgrade I may not be there to configure it
2. What exact model is shipped please? B10A or B10D or B30A?

TIA

Hi,
My B10D was pre-configured. (as other replies have said too)
However, I advise you to junk that modem at your earliest convenience (or keep for dire emergencies) and get a decent one like a Netgear. The Zyxel is very slow to boot, has an awful UI and seems to lose connection more readily
  Print Thread

Jump to