User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Apr-17 09:08:26
Print Post

Re: I just want iplayer!

[re: ijustwantiplayer] [link to this post]

If the house phone wiring is still just that one socket, and no extension wiring, then a faceplate filter rather than microfilter is unlikely to make any difference

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ijustwantiplayer
(newbie) Thu 13-Apr-17 10:59:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I put the faceplate on yesterday and it hasn't helped - you're right - but at least it's all a bit tidier.

New modem/router setup just now. Took me a while to work out how to accept pings (TP-Link hid that option away nicely), but it's now sorted so my quality monitor should carry on working.

No change to the speedtest results in general (I am focusing on the green results which I understand should be nearer the yellow):

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Nevertheless, fingers crossed this fixes my packet loss issues. I shall give the connection some hammer over the Easter weekend to test.
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Apr-17 11:20:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Noting your mention of the difference between daylight and dark/evening conditions, back in the 1970s, doing a lot of Dial-Up working over about 300 miles through the Lake District, although the phone line was generally noisier during the day and quieter in the evenings, we actually lost connection more frequently in the evenings.

I suspect it was that spikey interference during the day, was "lost" because of the modems adjusting to that general noise level, whilst in the evenings, the same level of spikes stood out against the general quieter conditions.

Often I could attribute a surge in the quantity of spikes to the weather conditions in the Lake District.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Apr-17 14:52:53
Print Post

The speed test looks more like an ongoing issue some providers have been having with single thread testing, and it is fixable once providers figure out which bit of kit is causing it.

If there are issues with the DSL side the impact tends to be the same on both single and multiple thread tests.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Apr-17 20:26:33
Print Post

Have you made contact with Jon Green regarding this issue?

If it is on the Zen network side he is the man to be talking to.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that the new hardware helps.
Standard User ijustwantiplayer
(newbie) Thu 20-Apr-17 09:16:38
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Yep, I have PM'd Jon Green as my new kit didn't fix the issue.

Support rang me yesterday and advised there is a problem (I don't know what) at my exchange and they hoped to implement a fix very soon. Later they rang back again and told me I will instead be moved to a new VLAN within the next 10 days.

Did they know/could they see this before insisting I swap my kit? I am sure they could.

I've added my quality monitor to my signature for anyone following and will update again when I am enjoying blissful buffer free iPlayer use.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to