User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rhetherington
(committed) Tue 11-Apr-17 17:05:09
Print Post

IPv6 problems?

[link to this post]

Is anyone else experiencing problems with their IPv6 connectivity at the moment?

Earlier today my line resynced and when a new PPPoE session was established my LANs no longer had IPv6.

The pfSense router itself has an address from its ND prefix and can ping6 hosts (just noticed bbc.co.uk now has IPv6), but no longer seems to be receiving a /48 prefix for LAN delegation.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Apr-17 17:24:02
Print Post

Re: IPv6 problems?

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

It's possible that Zen's DHCPv6 server has gone down. As your /48 is static, it's perfectly in order to configure static prefixes on your LAN(s) - that's how I have my pfSense box configured.

bbc.co.uk has been dual stack for a while, but www.bbc.co.uk (which is a CNAME for www.bbc.net.uk) is still IPv4 only.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
(committed) Tue 11-Apr-17 18:37:22
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Unfortunately configuring static prefixes on my LANs didn't work. I've been on IPv6 since the trial so am not sure if this is still an issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Apr-17 19:15:18
Print Post

The trial configuration was that Zen didn't install the route to the /48 until you delegated a prefix in that block from the DHCPv6 server. At the end of the trial, Zen decided to install a static route to the /48 in accounts newly enabled for IPv6, but the triallists' configurations were only changed if an individual triallist requested a change to the static route configuration by e-mailing ipv6@zen.co.uk as the post you linked to explains.

I was a triallist, but requested the static route for robustness reasons after the DHCPv6 server outage that thread related to. Your experience suggests that the static route configuration has still not be retrospectively applied to those triallists who did not explicitly request it.

thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User kwillers
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 08:16:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
It's possible that Zen's DHCPv6 server has gone down. As your /48 is static, it's perfectly in order to configure static prefixes on your LAN(s) - that's how I have my pfSense box configured.

bbc.co.uk has been dual stack for a while, but www.bbc.co.uk (which is a CNAME for www.bbc.net.uk) is still IPv4 only.

Are you saying you don't use dhcp6 on the WAN request for an ipv6 address
I would be very interested in this approach as I need to use dhcp6 on my second WAN connection and its only possible to do it on one
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 09:45:42
Print Post

[re: kwillers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwillers:
Are you saying you don't use dhcp6 on the WAN request for an ipv6 address
I would be very interested in this approach as I need to use dhcp6 on my second WAN connection and its only possible to do it on one
You can use DHCPv6 and DHCP-PD on multiple interfaces, but it sounds like your device does not support that type of configuration.

Unless things have changed, Zen uses SLAAC to give your WAN interface an IPv6 address - they will not do so over DHCPv6. If this is still the configuration, it is TR-187 compliant, as TR-187 allows SLAAC, DHCPv6 or both. If I remember correctly, you can also set any static address(es) you choose in the /64 block Zen allocate to you, though if you do this, using <your /64 prefix>::1 is usual.

The trial configuration was that a route to your /48 was not installed until you leased one or more prefixes to delegate to your local network using DHCP-PD. This was felt to lack robustness, so the post-trial configuration (to which triallists can be moved on request) is that a static route to the /48 is installed - if I remember correctly, to <your /64 prefix>::1 (in which case you should set this address statically on your WAN interface either as its main address or an alias alongside its SLAAC address). If Zen has added the static route to your configuration, you do not need to use DHCP-PD if you are happy to allocate prefix(es) statically to your LAN(s).

Standard User kwillers
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 10:42:58
Print Post

Thanks for that so If I'm reading correctly for Zen

On Interface WAN I would
- select"IPV6 Configuration Type" STATIC
- Set the ipv6 address to <my/64 prefix>::1 /64

On LAN I Would
- Set the ipv6 address to <my/48 prefix>:1234:: /64

Then I free to use dhcpv6 server to allocate the <my/48 prefix>:1234:: as need

Edited by kwillers (Fri 21-Apr-17 10:44:33)

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Apr-17 12:58:56
Print Post

Thanks for that so If I'm reading correctly for Zen

On Interface WAN I would
- Set the ipv6 address to <my/64 prefix>::1 /64

On LAN I Would
- Set the ipv6 address to <my/48 prefix>:1234:: /64
In principle, yes - but this will work if and only if your RADIUS record contains a static route for your /48 to <your /64 prefix>::1. If you are not sure, drop your PPP connection, disable DHCP-PD at your end, then bring PPP back up with the static configuration in place. If you have no routing to the /48, contact ipv6@zen.co.uk and request a static route to the /48.

Then I free to use dhcpv6 server to allocate the <my/48 prefix>:1234:: as need
You can allocate addresses on your LAN(s) using DHCPv6, SLAAC or both. Which addressing method is used depends on the flags in your RAs. Obviously, the configuration of your DHCPv6 server - if you are running one - must match your intended configuration.

Standard User kwillers
(newbie) Fri 21-Apr-17 15:07:53
Print Post

Thanks Zen claim I am configured correctly but the above still does not seem to work.
I suspect user error smile

They are going to review their knowledge base and see if they can find the exact settings required as the few tries we did together on the phone did not work

I'm not clear from the post if you are using pfSense or just know about how to configure it.
If the former could you share your screen shots if you have any ?
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Apr-17 11:30:46
Print Post

Static IPv6 using pfSense

I use pfSense here and have contributed various PPP and IPv6 fixes to pfSense.

I suspect you've got one key element of your configuration missing, which I will come to below.

I would set the "IPv6 Configuration Type" on your WAN interface to DHCP6, which in pfSense (at least as the code currently stands) means DHCPv6 and/or SLAAC. This means that you'll support both variants of WAN configuration listed in TR-187, though Zen only currently support SLAAC. This is a matter of robustness; it's best to accept whatever autoconfiguration Zen offers.

Whilst you're in the WAN interface, if you have a jumbo capable NIC on the WAN port and jumbo capable FTTx hardware (including either flavour of Openreach FTTP ONT and either flavour of Openreach FTTC modem), pfSense supports MTU 1500 over PPPoE using RFC 4638 from pfSense 2.3 onwards - just set 1500 as the WAN MTU. If this causes problems, clear the MTU field which will reset the MTU to the PPPoE default of 1492.

You can test whether the 1500 byte WAN MTU is working using Diagnostics->Command Prompt. Enter (without the quotes) "ping -D -s 1472 -c 4 forum.pfsense.org" in the "Execute Shell Command" box and press Execute. You should get some responses if you have MTU 1500 working. If IPv6 is working, you can additionally try "ping6 -D -s 1452 -c 4 forum.pfsense.org".

You then need to go into Firewall -> Virtual IPs. Create an "IP Alias" VIP on your WAN interface of <your /64 prefix>::1/128 - that allocates an additional address on your WAN port to go alongside the SLAAC address (N.B. it is generally regarded as best practice to allocate additional IPv6 addresses within an existing prefix on the interface as /128 - if you were configuring this address as the only address on your WAN interface statically, you would use /64). In addition, create an "Other" VIP on your WAN interface of <your /48 prefix>::/48 - this is the essential step that you are likely missing.

If you have an IPv4 netblock, you need an "Other" VIP of <lowest IPv4 address>/<allocated width> on the WAN interface - then you can use the additional addresses on your local networks using any combination of routed IP and NAT that you desire.

Let me know how you get on.

Standard User kwillers
(newbie) Sun 23-Apr-17 12:52:11
Print Post

Re: Static IPv6 using pfSense

Thanks David

Do I still need to tick the DHCP6 Client Configuration option

Request a IPv6 prefix/information through the IPv4 connectivity link

A quick try just now seems to indicate that I do but want to make sure that not because i'm still doing something wrong when I don't tick it
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Apr-17 14:45:48
Print Post

"Request a IPv6 prefix/information through the IPv4 connectivity link" should be selected. From memory, this should always be selected for native IPv6 over PPP.

(committed) Sun 30-Apr-17 10:14:15
Print Post

Just an update on this:

My IPv6 connectivity is still broken. I had contacted support about getting static route support put into my account but apparently it was done when i regraded last year.

Tried with a fresh pfSense config (both 2.3.3_p1 and a 2.4 nightly): no success.
Tried with a different router (Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite): no success.
Zen rebuilt the IPv6 section of my RADIUS account: no success.

If i do a packet capture of my WAN i can see pfSense sending a DHCP6 SOLICIT but it never receives a response.

This morning i reinstalled pfSense 2.3.3 and noticed that it was very slow to update to 2.3.3_p1, so i did a 'dig' on the pfSense update server address and discovered it was dual-stacked. This led me to SSH into pfSense and attempt to telnet to port 80 on my own, IPv6-enabled, website. It timed out.

I now believe there's some firewall on Zen's side that is allowing ICMP6 traffic to and from my router but blocking other types (which would also explain the lack of prefix delegation, as it's requested over UDP).
(committed) Sun 14-May-17 10:26:19
Print Post

IPv6 connectivity has finally been restored.

The problem wasn't at my or Zen's end but somewhere in the Openreach network. An engineer was dispatched to the VDSL2 cabinet and things started to work again.

I don't have any more specific details than that but thought i should post in case someone else ever experiences this bizarre problem and is searching for a solution (i'm on an ECI cab in case that's relevant).

Support from Zen was excellent and they very accommodating of the best time periods for me that they could take my connection off-line for testing things on their end.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-May-17 11:48:32
Print Post

That's good news. Are you now able to use a static IPv6 configuration on pfSense using the information I provided in this thread?

(committed) Sun 14-May-17 14:06:45
Print Post

Yes, static IPv6 config setup and working fine. Thanks for the info.
Standard User PacketNerd
(newbie) Sat 20-May-17 11:08:32
Print Post

This is really interesting.

I'm also connected to an ECI cab and have a similar problem. When I hit my line with 30mbps worth of 'failing' ipv6 traffic, that doesn't come out of the other side of zens bridged modem, I still see an increase in latency of ipv4 traffic. CPU utilisation doesn't increase on zens modem so it indicates the traffic is dropped by the cab.

Some IPv6 packets come through fine.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/4460121-ipv6-sm...

It's never worked, after Zen suggested I buy my own VDSL modem to replace theirs I just gave up and went back to tunnelling.

I've been following a AAISP fault that looks similar too.

https://aastatus.net/2351

Maybe there's a problem with some versions of the ECI cards and IPv6.

Do you have a problem with PMing me your fault ref so I can try again with Zen to check if my line has a similar issue?

Edited by PacketNerd (Sat 20-May-17 12:01:38)

Standard User marjohn56
(newbie) Mon 22-May-17 10:27:09
Print Post

Hi David,

I've been working with Kevin on various methods of getting his dual WAN system to work. The issue he has is that whilst DHCP6 would work fine on both interfaces, pfSense in its current state cannot support that, the reason being as I'm sure you're aware is that dhcp6c is set up as a single client with one port, without major rework to interfaces.* it's not going to play. I have started on creating a new mode for pfSense whereby you can specify manually the command line for dhcp6c this allowing two ( or more ) wan interfaces to be specified, this would be the correct way of doing dual dhcp6 WAN interfaces, and we will be trying that path over the next few days,

Now, I have also had some success in setting up static IPV6 on the ZEN interface, the only thing that will not play ball is the gateway monitor.

It appears that the functions that launch Dpinger do not allow for the fact that you can set-up a static IPv6 address on a PPPoE interface, and keep trying to launch Dpinger using the default WAN interface, i.e. igb0.

You obviously have some experience with pfSense, would you be prepared to 'play' with Kevin and myself in trying to resolve the static method?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 22-May-17 22:09:02
Print Post

[re: PacketNerd] [link to this post]

marjohn56 is an excellent developer, I suggest taking up his offer.

Sky did mention in a uk ipv6 conference video that there is ipv6 issues on ECI cabinets that they have worked around, but its logical to conclude that all other isp's have worked around the issue as well.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-May-17 08:56:23
Print Post

[re: marjohn56] [link to this post]

I'm quite busy at the moment, but I'll do my best to help out. I'm always interested in trying to improve pfSense - and the IPv6 code is ripe for further improvement.

I know you're already active in pfSense development, so it would be both inappropriate and redundant for me to give you a primer on pfSense development best practice. I just wanted to encourage you to consider opening a Redmine ticket for this issue if you haven't done so already. Documenting the issue in Redmine can be helpful for everyone.

I haven't kept fully up to date with the dhcp6c and IPv6 changes in the master branch of pfSense which is, of course, what any improvements need to be based on. It may be that you need to address the architectural concerns I've previously noted in pfSense Redmine #5993-15 as part of your suggested feature if the refactoring I suggested there has not yet taken place. Unless your changes apply relatively cleanly to RELENG_2_3, I would think seriously whether it's worth the effort of backporting them considering the limited life remaining in that branch and that pfSense 2.3 is almost certainly closed to new features anyway.

I'm @davidjwood on Github and you can always PM me on here. I'm perfectly happy to spin up a virtual machine to test anything you come up with; I can easily reconfigure my switches so that the VM has access to my WAN connections rather than the rack server than ordinarily runs pfSense here. I'm also happy to offer what input I can to the development process.

Standard User kwillers
(newbie) Tue 23-May-17 11:47:20
Print Post

Sounds like my Dual Wan is going to be getting some heavy testing

Standing By smile

Kev
Standard User marjohn56
(newbie) Tue 23-May-17 17:30:32
Print Post

Thanks David,

We are having some success with the static variation. I simply added a new flag in the STATIC DHCP OPTIONS to tell pfSense to use the V4 link, which is of course PPPoE; then added that option into interfaces.inc and that solved the dpinger issue. That leaves me with a 'to do' on the gateway possibly changing and I can correct that by enabling accept_rtadv on the PPPoE interface and making rtsold launch the IPv6 WAN update.

As for dhcp6c, it appears to be as solid as a rock now in 2.4 after we did a lot of work adding locks and modifying the client itself, I don't recall seeing any issues on the pfSense forum for some time now.

Dual ( or more ) WAN dhcp6c is a bit of a headache, as it's a case of which comes first, chicken or egg. For example, Sky require dhcp6 solicit before RA, other ISP's want it the other way, my brain gets tired just thinking about that, I think if you have an ISP such as Sky then you are not going to be able to have two dhcp6 WAN's unless they are both Sky!
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-May-17 10:27:30
Print Post

[re: marjohn56] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by marjohn56:
We are having some success with the static variation. I simply added a new flag in the STATIC DHCP OPTIONS to tell pfSense to use the V4 link, which is of course PPPoE; then added that option into interfaces.inc and that solved the dpinger issue.
Are you using the existing DHCP "Use IPv4 connectivity as parent interface" option in the UI to trigger this flag (i.e. $config['interfaces'][$interface]['dhcp6usev4iface']), or is another flag needed?

That leaves me with a 'to do' on the gateway possibly changing and I can correct that by enabling accept_rtadv on the PPPoE interface and making rtsold launch the IPv6 WAN update.
Is that not covered by the work I did in pfSense Redmine #5297 and the subsequent tidying up in #5621? The code, as it was after that work, was still messy, hence the suggestions for tidying up and refactoring in #5993-15. I've been out of the loop for a bit, so don't know what subsequent changes have happened in this area.

My apologies if I've overlooked something in your design in these comments. The area is ripe for possible races and varying behaviour of different ISPs.

As for dhcp6c, it appears to be as solid as a rock now in 2.4 after we did a lot of work adding locks and modifying the client itself, I don't recall seeing any issues on the pfSense forum for some time now.
I was really pleased to see that work being done. dhcp6c was sub-optimal in various ways and it being brought back from pretty much abandonware status after the disbandment of the KAME project to become maintained and (somewhat) actively developed again was very welcome. The lack of locking was particularly frustrating.

Dual ( or more ) WAN dhcp6c is a bit of a headache, as it's a case of which comes first, chicken or egg. For example, Sky require dhcp6 solicit before RA, other ISP's want it the other way, my brain gets tired just thinking about that, I think if you have an ISP such as Sky then you are not going to be able to have two dhcp6 WAN's unless they are both Sky!
I remember how my brain got fried when working on #5621, which was eventually committed on the basis that it was better than what was there and nobody, including Chris Buechler who reviewed it, could find anything incorrect in my reasoning.

It's probably better if you can post me to the pfSense forum thread(s) covering your work in progress, and/or a Github repository. If you weren't aware, you can do very powerful things with Github's diff functionality when combined with the pfSense system patches package. In particular, you can download, test and install a patch between a branch of the pfSense repository and a feature branch in a fork of that repository - see the 2.3 recipe in this old pfSense forum post of mine (N.B. this was in the pre 2.3-RELEASE timeframe, so the master branch was 2.3 at the time).

Standard User timl
(committed) Sun 09-Jul-17 11:04:41
Print Post

Thank you for this post and the subsequent ones. I too had difficulty with native IPV6. I had some experience of running IPV6 using hurricane electric so was surprised when my native IPV6 connection seemingly established a connection (I could ping over the link) but couldn't transfer anything over it.

We did some discovery diagnostics which traced an ECI cabinet as the probable issue. Zen asked BT to investigate and a short time later the issue was resolved.

Very impressed with Zen who kept me informed and fixed the problem.

Tim

Zen FTTC 65Mb load balanced with BT Infinity 2 60Mb and BT TV
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to