User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iamthebarnsley
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 11:45:32
Print Post

Public Ip's

[link to this post]

Hi

Question about running a 2 web servers in an office.
We recently only had one public IP and i just used that to forward traffic onto the webserver.
We are now running 2 web servers so Zen have given us a load of public IPs. 8 in total
I understand the first and last are reserved for Zen and the next highest is the modem.
So how do i use 2 of the remaining 5 IPs to point to my web servers?
e.g i want 82.x.x.1 to point to 192.168.1.10 and 82.x.x.2 to point to 192.168.1.11.
I have already update my hosting comany DNS so any relevant domain name point to that public ip
Router is a VMG1312-B10D and only setup as out of the box supplied by Zen

thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-May-17 12:12:54
Print Post

Re: Public Ip's

[re: iamthebarnsley] [link to this post]

Either

1. A NON-NAT configuration so the web servers are given the full public IP address (remember to firewall ports that do not need to be visible to the public). You will still want an Ethernet router to do NAT for the local PC network.

2. A 1 to 1 NAT (multi-NAT) is another option, i.e. web server still has a LAN IP but you can port forward from a specific public IP to a specific LAN IP

All that said the cost of basic hosting is so minimal today that hosting on a VPS or cloud solution is often better

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 12:57:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, you are correct about cloud solution which we do have, these are internal use servers that i need to make available from the outside for certain services etc

Option 2: Do you have any good guides for how to get this up and running on this modem?
I have had a look around and its not that clear how i could achieve it.
In the NAT section i can only specify a WAN interface and not an IP

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-May-17 13:43:47
Print Post

Guide on routed IP (non-nat) at https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG...

NOTE You will need another router if you want the PC network hidden behind a single IP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 18-May-17 14:09:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I saw that guide but this bit confused me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Note:
Unfortunately the ZyXEL interface does not allow the use of both public and private IPs simultaneously.
Once the router has been configured you will need to reconfigure your LAN devices with public IP addresses from the block assigned to you by Zen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean just the devices i want to have a public ip, all other devices retain their private IPs assigned by my DHCP server?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-May-17 14:13:25
Print Post

What is your current DHCP service? If its the Zyxel device then it cannot remain doing that job since it will only service public IP addresses, i.e. it cannot do routed IP and NAT at the same time.

Standard User mugwumpx
(committed) Wed 24-May-17 21:57:37
Print Post

You will need a router with Multi-NAT capability.
The Draytek range are good for that http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison?highlig...
Also Zyxels used to have it in their P660 range (Zyxel call it Full Feature NAT enable) but only seem to have the SBG3300 that will do it now.

There are probably other makes but I have only ever used the above 2 makes.

Currently using a Draytek 2860AC on Zen in roughly the same configuration as you want.

Mugwump

Origo Repair CD - www.origo-repair.org.uk
Routertech - A new help site for all things router & networking
Standard User kwillers
(newbie) Thu 25-May-17 11:21:28
Print Post

[re: mugwumpx] [link to this post]

I also do what you want using a pfSense box

My mail server and security server utilise public IP's from my IPv4 block using 1:1 NAT

pfSense is a very versatile and flexible device and there are couple of very experienced contributors to the firmware who are on these forums and Zen customers

WIN WIN
Standard User marjohn56
(newbie) Fri 26-May-17 06:50:09
Print Post

[re: kwillers] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwillers:
I also do what you want using a pfSense box

My mail server and security server utilise public IP's from my IPv4 block using 1:1 NAT

pfSense is a very versatile and flexible device and there are couple of very experienced contributors to the firmware who are on these forums and Zen customers

WIN WIN

Plus the advantage that apart from the hardware it's free, unless you wish to purchase a Netgate unit, which will also give you support if you need it. However the pfSense community has a very large user base and rarely is a solution not given to any problem posted.
  Print Thread

Jump to