User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 11-Aug-17 14:31:17
Print Post

Re: Zen Internet SPF & Forwarding

[re: kwillers] [link to this post]

Without giving their customers time to prepare, disgraceful frown
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Aug-17 18:55:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Without giving their customers time to prepare, disgraceful frown

Customers whom are choosing to use a pretty awful third party forwarding service that doesn't meet industry standards?

Yes, perhaps Zen should have sent a mail to all their email server users saying "we are enabling a change in 30 days that MIGHT cause you a problem if you use mail forwarding. If a problem occurs you will have to take it up with the forwarding company".

Too many domain hosts / mail forwarding companies are fly by night organisations with no idea of quality. Zen is not that!

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 28/Jul/17: 64,899/9,065 - G.INP & 3.3 dB SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Aug-17 20:20:02
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It would not be fair to mention the name of the company I use for mail forwarding, but they are not fly-by-night.

This issue was definitely caused by Zen choosing not to tell us before this change was implemented.

I now have all of my incoming email working again; forwarded just as it was before but with a correct SPF entry in my domain records. (probably my fault the old one was wrong!).

I am now more concerned about the comment on outgoing mail via mailhost.zen.co.uk. Like the other poster I have been doing this for ages - in my case since I joined Zen in 2003.

Perhaps somebody from Zen will tell us what all that was/is about.

Line One:- Zen Fibre 1 - DrayTek Vigor 2860ac
Line Two:- Andrews and Arnold - DrayTek Vigor 2600

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Aug-17 20:30:21
Print Post

[re: savamac] [link to this post]

The solution is clear to anyone who thinks about the problem and its cause, something that unfortunately you seem to be unwilling to accept. The problem isn't Zen's to fix but rather your e-mail forwarder. Accept that and move on.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Aug-17 04:11:03
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
The solution is clear to anyone who thinks about the problem and its cause, something that unfortunately you seem to be unwilling to accept. The problem isn't Zen's to fix but rather your e-mail forwarder. Accept that and move on.

Exactly, we run several domains on our server each have their own MX and SPF / TXT DNS records.

The SPF / TXT DNS Records state what IP(s) are allowed to send emails on behalf of those domains any other IP used should fail (assuming you have the -all at the end set)

I can set up forwarding to any mail provider (well all the ones I have tried) and it works fine and passes all SPF checks with them.

So maybe the OP hasn't setup the SPF / TXT DNS record 100% correctly for their domain(s) ?

I know we were hit an miss for a little while that got us blacklisted due to our mail server sending emails from several domain, once SPF was correctly setup and we went through the process of removing the blacklist all was then fine and have been for the last 5 or so years.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | BQM #4 Linksys WRT 3200 ACM
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Sat 12-Aug-17 07:48:08
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
This issue was definitely caused by Zen choosing not to tell us before this change was implemented.

As someone else has said, Zen could have given chapter and verse on the configurations that would have been affected by this change.

It wouldn't have been a short message. Most people's eyes would have glazed over before they finished reading.

I can tell you precisely how many people would have taken action on it before they stopped receiving emails.

Such is life in support.
Standard User savamac
(member) Sat 12-Aug-17 08:13:16
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Sorry - that's nonsense. It's akin to saying "company Blogs has implemented a change which damages the service to its customers because of a bug in Windows 10, therefore Microsoft should fix the bug" - dream on.

Worcester Park Exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSWOR

It's only rock 'n' roll...

Old programmers never die, they just abend 0C4 ..
Standard User savamac
(member) Sat 12-Aug-17 08:16:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Well I think it is. They broke it after all

Cheapskate web hosts offering forwarding as the default, for tiny fee a year, made an ASSUMPTION that things on the internet would stay the same.

Assumptions in technology industry are dangerous.

Hosts should either use proper SRS forwarding as Matt says, or should be the destination mailbox.

As far as I know, names.co.uk are not "cheapskate web hosts" - any comment ?

Worcester Park Exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSWOR

It's only rock 'n' roll...

Old programmers never die, they just abend 0C4 ..
Standard User marjohn56
(newbie) Sat 12-Aug-17 09:12:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by savamac:

Sorry - that's nonsense. It's akin to saying "company Blogs has implemented a change which damages the service to its customers because of a bug in Windows 10, therefore Microsoft should fix the bug" - dream on.

So you would rather Zen not implement a global standard because it means your upstream mail forwarder has been lax in implementing a technology that has been on the horizon for a long time?

That would mean Zen would have to check every single mail forwarder that connects to their systems before they implement it, and that isn't ever going to happen.

The problem is NOT of Zens' making, the problem is poor implementation by the upstream host.

I assume that Zen have also implemented these additions on their outbound too, as I see no complaints from anyone saying their outbound mail has not been delivered then I also assume that Zen have correctly updated their systems to handle SPF etc.

If you have your own domain name and email, then there is some requirement that you manage it from time to time, otherwise get a gmail account!

HG612 -> pfSense 2.4B

--------------------------------------------------------
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
--------------------------------------------------------
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Aug-17 10:39:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by savamac:
As far as I know, names.co.uk are not "cheapskate web hosts" - any comment ?

Then call their tech support and get them to fix it. Or switch to a mailbox on their system, so no forwarding.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 28/Jul/17: 64,899/9,065 - G.INP & 3.3 dB SNRm
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial - Asus RT-AC68U and HG612 - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to