User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ixel
(member) Mon 14-Aug-17 13:50:09
Print Post

Typical early termination charge?

[link to this post]

I'm on Unlimited Fibre 2 (FTTC), bundled, but I can't see any information the website in regards to typical early termination charges and I'd rather not phone just to ask for that information. Does anyone know what they typically charge if terminating/regrading while still in contract for Unlimited Fibre 2 and Unlimited Fibre 1 (FTTC), bundled?

Reason I ask is because I'm considering downgrading from Unlimited Fibre 2 to Unlimited Fibre 1 since my speed has dropped a bit since I've had UF2 (possibly due to crosstalk, interleaving and/or banding) and I've heard regrading will partially reset DLM (remove interleaving but not banding necessarily). Since I play online games such as first person shooters the ping is more vital to me than the speed.

The other reason I'm asking is because if I downgrade to UF1 and then g.fast a few months later becomes available I'd like to know what sort of price I may end up paying to switch to g.fast from UF1, for example. For example, if it's the full price of UF1 multiplied by say... 9 months, then I'll just put up with interleaving and wait a few months to see if g.fast appears on the broadband checker. If it's however a reduced price then I might consider this.

Finally, my current UF2 is out of contract.

Thanks in advance.
Standard User kwillers
(learned) Mon 14-Aug-17 15:17:55
Print Post

Re: Typical early termination charge?

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

As per the portal

"If you decide to regrade your service within your minimum service period, early termination charges will apply.
This charge will be determined by your regrade date and contract end date once your regrade has completed.
To discuss this charge please contact our Sales department on 01706 902000"

In other words I read that as you will have to pay the rest of the contract value
Standard User Ixel
(member) Mon 14-Aug-17 15:45:25
Print Post

[re: kwillers] [link to this post]

I see, yeah I agree that's what it does indeed sound like. Pity if it's true. Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Tue 15-Aug-17 17:58:08
Print Post

Yes - either way they want your money even if the service has deteriorated. You might be able to challenge it if the service is unusable (or below the hand-back) but that's the only time I've known anyone win that fight.

Edited by IamQ (Tue 15-Aug-17 19:12:09)

Standard User Ixel
(member) Tue 15-Aug-17 21:51:39
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

I've decided to regrade to UF1, it'll happen tonight apparently. If and when g.fast is available and if it's available on my line then I'll cross that bridge. If I'm able to upgrade to g.fast and they want to charge me the remainder of the UF1 contract in full then I'll try to challenge it, if not I'll move to another ISP at the end of the contract's term. All depends how much they value a long term customer should there be a problem with upgrading if and when the time comes smile.

Thanks all!
Standard User cssuk
(regular) Tue 15-Aug-17 22:10:00
Print Post

i left Zen many years ago as one of the early Fibre customers after being on ADSL for many years for this exact reason as Zen would/could do nothing about it, am on Sky now and my ping to our clan servers is 16ms NL and 12ms Fr, UK servers typically 8ms with 19 and 79 upload/download consistently not one drop out or interruption and speeds are rock solid and unlimited with a fixed ip plus its cheaper with 24/7 customer service, "premium" is not what it once was imho do yourself a favour and shop around
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Thu 17-Aug-17 17:45:29
Print Post

I Don't think its all there fault. I've still not found a reputable ISP to sell me FTTC on monthly terms & have several people & sites all waiting for the day...

**just be made aware of this**
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/openrea...

Edited by IamQ (Thu 17-Aug-17 17:51:28)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Aug-17 18:24:30
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IamQ:
**just be made aware of this**
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/openrea...

Although Openreach will change things on that date, for those reliant on BT Wholesale and various other carriers - there is no guarantee that the term will be passed through.

Zen having their own on-net network now will be in a great place to be ahead of the curve.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Thu 17-Aug-17 19:21:19
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Indeed - I realise a few may not, and anyone in contract may still be stuck, but I'm hoping and wishing that Zen will at least start allowing monthly subscriptions even if its going involve a provision/cease fee.

hint hint people at Zen... It would be nice to know if there is any discussions about this - even if its just for established/long-term customers smile
  Print Thread

Jump to