User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Wed 16-Aug-17 18:49:31
Print Post

Will - the Deal?

[link to this post]

I have just received an e-mail from Will - the Deal informing me that they have negotiated a 25% discount from Zen. When I click on the link it does show that I could get my present product for £36 per month compared to the £47 that I am paying at the moment. I need to read the small print to see if this offer is available to existing customers.

Edit:

It's in the FAQ:

If you are already a customer of Zen then, no problem. Simply call our Zen team and they will arrange for you to get your Big Deal.
Simply call us on 01706 902696

Edited by lexden16 (Wed 16-Aug-17 19:06:41)

Standard User TygerTyger2010
(regular) Thu 17-Aug-17 11:31:04
Print Post

Re: Will - the Deal?

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Yes,

https://www.zen.co.uk/thebigdeal/Promotion/Packages

And on those pages:

"Already a Zen customer?
If you are already a customer of Zen then, no problem. Simply call our Zen team and they will arrange for you to get your Big Deal.
Simply call us on 01706 902696"

The only catch I can see is a 24 Month contract. Also I think the offer ends on the 22nd August.

I find it tempting, but one of the things I don't like is long contracts. 12 months maximum is my preferred longest contract. I happen to be in a 12 month contract right now because I went up to an 80/20 package, didn't work, downgraded back to 40/10.

When you do that Zen put on another 12 month contract. So for me that deal is another 12 months on top of that. Although I've been with Zen for 11 years I like to keep my options open. So I'm thinking about it.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1

Edited by TygerTyger2010 (Thu 17-Aug-17 12:58:51)

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Thu 17-Aug-17 16:22:52
Print Post

[re: TygerTyger2010] [link to this post]

I thought about it and called them this afternoon. After a brief discussion about the need to do it online, the switch was carried out by customer service. I have already got a £10+ credit note and my Fritz!Box is on its way.

With a saving of £132 per year and a free router (which they say is mine to use or sell on as I wish), I will accept the pain of a 2 year contract. I have been a Zen customer for nearly 6 years and, apart from a couple of blips, my line has been running at near max speed on a 80/20 connection. I confess Sky's offer was better but I just couldn't convince myself of the merits of buying more from Sky than I need to. At least with Zen, I am going from the known to the known.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Aug-17 17:32:42
Print Post

What Fritz!Box is it?
Is it the 3490 ?

I have the 3390 (Modem / Router) and 4040 (Router) both are nice devices, its a shame they couldn't work on my connection frown

I am currently using a Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (Router) which seems to be ok so far.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | FTTP Infinity 4 (DDNS) #1
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Thu 17-Aug-17 19:49:05
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
What Fritz!Box is it?
Is it the 3490 ?

I have the 3390 (Modem / Router) and 4040 (Router) both are nice devices, its a shame they couldn't work on my connection frown

I am currently using a Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (Router) which seems to be ok so far.

Paul

Itís the 3490. I have a 7490 on my connection which hasnít missed a beat in 3 years.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Aug-17 20:06:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by lexden16:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
What Fritz!Box is it?
Is it the 3490 ?

Paul

Itís the 3490. I have a 7490 on my connection which hasnít missed a beat in 3 years.

They sure are ugly, but they do work well, my brother is also using a 3390 Modem / Router on his Zen FTTC Connection and hasn't had any issues as far as I am aware.

Just don't let young kids near it, it cannot fly LOL.

Paul

TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
(regular) Thu 17-Aug-17 21:18:10
Print Post

You get a free router too, even as an existing customer ?!! That sweetens the deal.

I'm in the "Do I take the Red Pill or the Blue Pill" mindset right now. I can only ask Zen, but I wonder as I'm already on a 12 month contract whether that would be included in the 24 months total, or would it be 36 months for me ? (actually around 34 months).

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
(regular) Thu 17-Aug-17 21:27:43
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Ugly ? I just did a Google image search UNSEE! ... EYEBLEACH!.... Do you need to perform an Exorcism before powering it up ?? laugh

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 17-Aug-17 21:50:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by TygerTyger2010:
You get a free router too, even as an existing customer ?!! That sweetens the deal.

I'm in the "Do I take the Red Pill or the Blue Pill" mindset right now. I can only ask Zen, but I wonder as I'm already on a 12 month contract whether that would be included in the 24 months total, or would it be 36 months for me ? (actually around 34 months).

Unless you're a business, residential customers can't be put on to a contract that's more than 24 months as far as I know, OFCOM banned them.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/may/26/ofcom-...
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Thu 17-Aug-17 22:28:06
Print Post

This thread needs a public health warning!
Standard User herbgold
(member) Fri 18-Aug-17 06:24:57
Print Post

I get 404 not found when I click this link.
(regular) Fri 18-Aug-17 06:45:53
Print Post

[re: herbgold] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by herbgold:

I get 404 not found when I click this link.

Yes, strange, it's a sub-page of the offer, this should work:

https://www.zen.co.uk/thebigdeal

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Fri 18-Aug-17 08:40:42
Print Post

Update:

My new contract started yesterday. I got an immediate credit note and the 3490 is being delivered today. I just hope that it isn't locked as I want to pass it on to another family member.
(regular) Fri 18-Aug-17 09:10:12
Print Post

That was fast ! I didn't think about the router being locked. If i go for the deal I was going to factory reset it and sell it on ebay. My existing Technicolor TG589vn is adequate for my needs right now, although the 3490 is a higher spec.

Also the 3490 may need to be thrown into the Cracks of Mount Doom to Destroy it. laugh

Could you inform if the 3490 is in fact capable of being reset ? The TG589vn supplied when I got FTTC in 2015 was pre-setup with my Zen details, but it's not locked and can be reset to factory with ease.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Aug-17 11:25:06
Print Post

Update:

My new contract started yesterday. I got an immediate credit note and the 3490 is being delivered today. I just hope that it isn't locked as I want to pass it on to another family member.

Just flash it with stock firmware found on their site if you are going to sell it on:
https://download.avm.de/fritz.box/fritzbox.3490/firm...

Paul

TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
(regular) Fri 18-Aug-17 11:27:59
Print Post

On my way to making a decision myself, I phoned Zen technical support just now. Asked them all the questions.

The 3490 isn't locked. You can do anything with it. Factory reset it. Change anything. etc.

So for me that balances the decision for me towards taking the offer.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 18-Aug-17 13:05:57
Print Post

zen seriously low balling estimate for my line, wonder if its do with their new guarantee system smile

Maximum Speed Minimum Speed Typical Speed
21.53Mbps 5.94Mbps 15Mbps

Line currently syncing at 74/20 (74 is banded)

Snrm down 7.7db, Snrm up 10.6db

Never seen such a low estimate for my line. smile

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 18-Aug-17 13:16:08
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Guarantee system?

That's a pretty impressive speed vs the low estimate though. Do you have vectoring, G.INP or is this a fairly new cabinet perhaps?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 18-Aug-17 13:18:47
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

no, and my BT wholesale estimate is the same as it has been for a year or so.

Its only zen who have a really low estimate.

Note sky's guarantee is not their estimate which for my line was high 60s, all my previous isps have estimated high 60s or low 70s.

ECI cabinet no g.inp or vectoring.

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Fri 18-Aug-17 16:05:22
Print Post

The Fritz!Box arrived by DPD at lunchtime. Some of the set up settings have been configured but they are changeable.
(regular) Fri 18-Aug-17 16:39:43
Print Post

The Fritz!Box arrived by DPD at lunchtime. Some of the set up settings have been configured but they are changeable.

Great ! Zen did mention on the phone that it would be sent pre-setup.

I'm going to decide over the weekend ,since Monday 21st is the last day of the offer. I'm just looking at the 24 months and still weighing it up. It's really about 12-14 months for me since I am in contract right now.

It's a saving of about £13 a month for me, which is a fair bit of money over 2 years. I'm almost certainly going to sell the new router as my existing router is adequate. The 3490 seems to retail for a minimum of £90-100.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Fri 18-Aug-17 17:15:32
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Hi, Our estimates come from Openreach. We don't make any alterations at all.

Our speed guarantee isn't new, we've just made it a little more prominent. It's related to our support of Ofcom's voluntary code of conduct on Broadband speeds . We've been signatories of the code for many years.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(regular) Fri 18-Aug-17 18:33:48
Print Post

For those interested I phoned Zen sales just to ask a few more questions before committing.

The new contract can be done over the phone for existing customers, as I understand it.

There is a one off £35 surcharge. They write off your existing contract and then restart your contract, so it's 24 months from when you begin this new Big Deal contract.

I still haven't 100% decided yet .. 24 months, but pretty big savings.. Dang .. What would you do ?

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 18-Aug-17 23:05:26
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

ok thanks for clarifying on the guarantee, I am willing to pm you details of my address if you want to investigate more the checker results. Let me know. smile

I can confirm the BTw checker is "now" whacked, so this isnt your fault. wow smile

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 18-Aug-17 23:31:26)

Standard User kebabselector
(member) Fri 18-Aug-17 23:09:30
Print Post

I'm tempted, the price reduction will offset a bit of the John Lewis Broadband (2nd) line I've had installed. Not a fan of 24 months, but I've been happy with Zen for the last 10 years or so.

Only issue I can see if is Fibre turns up for me - although the cab is currently not in any upgrade plans so I don't expect anything in the short term.

Also, my current Draytek router is going bonkers (the LEDs are anyway) so maybe that's due to be retired.

ISP's:
Zen: Around 6mb down - .8mb up
JohnLewis BB: Around 6mb down - .6mb up
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Virgin rates variable so not bothering with them.....

Edited by kebabselector (Fri 18-Aug-17 23:14:39)

(regular) Sat 19-Aug-17 00:39:31
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

I'm 99% sure I'll go for the offer. I would be daft not to. It's about £13 quid a month saving, I've been with Zen for 11 years and I've always had good service.

I'm in contract for about the next 10 months anyhow. At the end of that I would most likely continue on with Zen. If I did go for another ISP it would be someone like, Uno, Pulse8, IDNet, A&A etc. I prefer those ISP's to the big providers (BT, Sky etc).

If I don't take the deal, all I'm effectively doing is paying £13 pounds a month for the privilege of hopping to another ISP within a 30 day contract, and that is about a year away as it stands for me right now.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
(member) Sat 19-Aug-17 00:41:32
Print Post

I think I would in your position. Myself I think I will also, although I'll speak to them first.

/edit signed up for it now. £23.90 for my ADSL line (90p is for caller display) It seems quite flexible as I can add on the call package if required and it's switchable to a fibre should that arrive.

So dropping from a current price of around £36 to 23.90 is a nice saving. I was worried about the £35 surcharge mentioned earlier, but that's not applicable for me with ADSL.

ISP's:
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Virgin rates variable so not bothering with them.....

Edited by kebabselector (Sat 19-Aug-17 09:24:13)

(regular) Sun 20-Aug-17 08:12:13
Print Post

I wonder what the £35 surcharge is for ? I didn't ask when I phoned on Friday, and Zen sales is closed today, to the best of my knowledge.

I assumed it was just a charge lumped on to cover some of the costs of the router, or something. Does the ADSL deal include a free router with it?

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User marjohn56
(newbie) Sun 20-Aug-17 18:26:34
Print Post

It covers admin and a free router ( which I will never use! )

However over the two years it will be a saving hence the reason I grabbed the deal!

HG612 -> pfSense 2.4B

--------------------------------------------------------
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
--------------------------------------------------------
(regular) Sun 20-Aug-17 18:54:00
Print Post

[re: marjohn56] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by marjohn56:
It covers admin and a free router ( which I will never use! )

However over the two years it will be a saving hence the reason I grabbed the deal!

I relate well to what you are saying, I agree about the saving, and I'm planning to sign up tomorrow despite STILL going "24 months!, Ouch" wink

However kebabselector apparently didn't get charged the £35 because he is on ADSL ?? I'm on FTTC so what do you think the reasons for that would be ?

I'm an 11 year veteran of Zen, on FTTC, not ADSL, but I'm going to be charged £35 extra ? I don't know why that is precisely. Perhaps if you don't take the free router you get a discount ??

I can't ask Zen right now, although I'm going to when I phone them up. I'm a wee bit sore about the £35 quid. Perhaps there Is something I'm missing here that would explain things, but I don't know what.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User Geordish
(regular) Sun 20-Aug-17 19:31:03
Print Post

Zen sell ADSL with only a 1 month (ie no) contract.

FTTC is sold with a 12 month contract.

Presumably the £35 surcharge is to exit your contract early.
(regular) Sun 20-Aug-17 19:54:36
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Geordish:
Zen sell ADSL with only a 1 month (ie no) contract.

FTTC is sold with a 12 month contract.

Presumably the £35 surcharge is to exit your contract early.

You could be on the right path here... I forgot about the ADSL

Maybe there are some changed T&C now with Zen, and I'm just not looking properly. However. when I started with Zen in 2015 it was 12 months for the first year of FTTC.

Then it went to a 30 day rolling contract, unless you upgraded to UL fibre 2, and then back down again to UL fibre 1. Also some other permutations of contract, there is a chart on Zen's site somewhere.

I happen to be on a 12 month contract with (about) 10 months to go because I regraded (UL2 didn't work on my line). I would expect if I stayed on it to be on a 30 day contract for FTTC by 2018.

Anyhow I need to talk to Zen about it, but some parts don't add up for me. I'm whining a bit here, but not too much. It's still a good deal and I'm going to take it.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
(member) Mon 21-Aug-17 11:05:50
Print Post

I did ask about the £35 charge after the order went through, seems it is for VDSL connections. Thanks to Openreach for saving me money!!

ISP's:
(regular) Mon 21-Aug-17 13:38:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by kebabselector:
I did ask about the £35 charge after the order went through, seems it is for VDSL connections. Thanks to Openreach for saving me money!!

I signed up an hour ago. Asked a bit about the fee. Basically the £35 is an internal admin fee for the regrade from your current FTTC to the Big Deal FTTC. The staff member I spoke to said to me, not in a lot of detail, that it had been discussed by the staff with Da Management at Zen and they wouldn't flex on it. So there you go.

My new router will probably arrive tomorrow.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
(member) Mon 21-Aug-17 13:48:34
Print Post

Hopefully my router will be delivered tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see if anything changes speed wise with a new bit of kit.

ISP's:
(member) Wed 23-Aug-17 00:21:19
Print Post

Re: Will - the Deal? *DELETED*

Post deleted by kebabselector (just got a little confused about the Fritz box install - all is well now!)

Edited by kebabselector (Wed 23-Aug-17 00:40:27)

Standard User LightFantastic
(newbie) Wed 23-Aug-17 10:01:03
Print Post

I've just come across this thread as I've been away and thought "Damn!" as the offer ended yesterday!

I'm an existing Zen customer (10 years) - currently 9 months into first year of Unlimited Fibre 2 with phone package - so I rang them up and he said it had finished yesterday but he would go and check something. Came back and said they and they could switch me to The Big Deal.

With a couple of calling features I have I was paying £56.80/month which would drop to £45.81/month, so saving £10.99/month. In the first year, taking into account the £35 set-up fee, I'll pay £96.88 less and second year will be £131.88, so £228.76 over two years. Seemed daft not to take the deal as I had no intention of switching from Zen, as long as the service remains the same! Plus I would have a use for the Fritzbox as an AP, so bonus there!

Thanks for posting up about this.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Wed 23-Aug-17 10:37:45
Print Post

[re: LightFantastic] [link to this post]

Thanks for your post. I had thought I had missed the deal too as it finished yesterday but after seeing your post rang them up today and my regrade to the Big Deal is going ahead so saving me £264 over the two years! Thanks again!
Standard User gregormac
(regular) Wed 23-Aug-17 15:32:06
Print Post

Well I signed up to today, got the fibre deal but boo hoo no free router as sales said I got a free router back in 2015 when I first joined them.

So not such a sweet deal after all...

80/20 FTTC

Edited by gregormac (Wed 23-Aug-17 15:32:48)

(regular) Wed 23-Aug-17 18:09:45
Print Post

[re: gregormac] [link to this post]

Very very strange? I got a free Technicolor TG589vn when I switched to FTTC in 2015, and also got it replaced under warranty with another one when my line got struck by lightning later on that in 2015. Maybe the real reason was something to do with signing up today when the offer had technically finished ?

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Aug-17 18:11:52
Print Post

Unlikely. Had the same thing when I migrated to Zen from A&A a few years ago. Because they could see I already had a modem (a migration), they didn't offer any "free" router.

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP◊6 Cloudflare Speed Tests (3◊IPv4+3◊IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
(regular) Wed 23-Aug-17 18:29:37
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Stumped, I was with Zen on ADSL Max when I went to FTTC and a free router. I was using my own Netgear 834GT when on ADSL Max. FTTC, The returned Thomson, the current Thomson, and the fritz box.

So, that's 3 routers I've had free from Zen (technically 2). Strange inconsistency there. Hmmm...

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 1

Edited by TygerTyger2010 (Wed 23-Aug-17 21:02:46)

Standard User gregormac
(regular) Thu 24-Aug-17 14:24:05
Print Post

Kudos to Zen,
a Fritzbox is on its way to me. smile
This is service excellence.

80/20 FTTC
Standard User kitfit1
(newbie) Fri 25-Aug-17 14:32:43
Print Post

[re: gregormac] [link to this post]

I read this thread for the first time this morning and thought i'd see if Zen were still up for offering this to existing customers. A five min phone call, saved myself a bit of money a new fritzbox is on it's way...............win win.
Standard User TrishaH
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Aug-17 23:29:08
Print Post

[re: kitfit1] [link to this post]

I did the same today - excellent, and glad I called them this afternoon.

Standard User Pablo_Pablovski
(regular) Thu 31-Aug-17 11:41:22
Print Post

I signed up to the Big Deal offer this morning, thanks to this thread. I'd regraded from ADSL to fibre in February, so I have around 6mths left on that contract, but I'm still getting the new Fritzbox router. Might be worth asking Zen to reconsider.

I was also able to change from Fibre 2 to Fibre 1 (I get 35Mb/s / 9Mb/s, so Fibre 1 is a better fit), so the saving is even bigger. Chuffed.

ZeN
Standard User lodge
(committed) Sun 17-Sep-17 11:48:41
Print Post

[re: Pablo_Pablovski] [link to this post]

Well, this deal is still alive. I phoned them yesterday to check.

However, I forgot to ask, when you sign up to it as an existing customer, do they just charge the £35? Or do they treat it as a new contract and add in a month's line rental etc. and credit you separately for anything left on the existing month's subscription?

Edited by lodge (Sun 17-Sep-17 11:49:18)

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 17-Sep-17 12:03:08
Print Post

[re: lodge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lodge:
Well, this deal is still alive. I phoned them yesterday to check.

However, I forgot to ask, when you sign up to it as an existing customer, do they just charge the £35? Or do they treat it as a new contract and add in a month's line rental etc. and credit you separately for anything left on the existing month's subscription?

The £35 is an admin charge that you pay upfront. It is a new minimum term 2 year contract. I was paying £47.89 per month for phone and B.B., this has fallen to £36.90 per month. My contract switched immediately and I have been sent a £10.95 credit note to be applied to my next invoice. My new F!B modem/router arrived the following day by courier.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to