User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sergiup
(learned) Mon 11-Sep-17 10:25:13
Print Post

Sync speed slightly lower than expected - investigate?

[link to this post]

I've recently joined Zen (all good so far, IPv6 working, happy customer!), but... I'm looking at my synch speed and my rough distance from the cabinet, and although it's still absolutely fine, I'm not convinced there isn't something at least a little wrong that's causing it to be lower than it could be.

BTW checker screenshot - says VDSL Clean range should be 80 - 64.6, Impacted shoudl be 78.5 - 49Mbps. I know exactly where my cabinet is, and going by a Google Maps trace I work it out to be about 230 metres, provided it doesn't take any massive detours.

My actual synch speed is about 59-60Mbps down (max up), with about 6dB downstream attenuation.

Now, I'm not complaining, but a part of me thinks I should be getting a bit more - maybe not the ideal 75-80Mbps, but closer to 70Mbps I think would be realistic. I think 60Mbps is more like ~500m from the cabinet, which is almost double my estimated distance.

I've got an unlocked HG612 on the line at the moment; I tried with Zen's own Fritz!Box and that synchs at the same rates. The NowTV modem I had a while ago would synch at ~64Mbps, I haven't tried it recently though since I'm no longer a NowTV customer anyway.

Should I ask Zen to maybe take a look at this? Just looking for a second opinion... Happy to provide post code / phone number if someone trustworthy asks. Thank you!
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Mon 11-Sep-17 11:26:14
Print Post

Re: Sync speed slightly lower than expected - investigate?

[re: sergiup] [link to this post]

I think you should get full 80Mbps sync with 6dB attenuation, my line is about 350m with 12.2dB and I get full sync speed but only after G.inp was enabled. However my cabinet is a small All-in-one (PCP/FTTC) with around 60 lines so not much crosstalk going on. You are below the clean minimum estimate so Zen should do some investigation if asked. Is G.inp enabled - look for Bearer 1 data in the HG612 stats, ( but it's only on Huwaei cabinets at present) and what is your downstream SNRM value?
Standard User sergiup
(learned) Mon 11-Sep-17 15:33:02
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Thanks! I'll get some full stats when I'm home, I'm pretty sure there's no G.inp on this line. Yes it's a busier cab so it'll have more cross-talk etc, but still...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gregormac
(regular) Mon 11-Sep-17 16:54:29
Print Post

[re: sergiup] [link to this post]

Whats the full DSL stats from the Fritz box?
Im running a Fritz 7490 and on a 13db line attenuation im , getting synced at 79998 with an attainable throughput of 84820. ( it was over 96 to start but crosstalk has dropped that down)

If your really on 6dB attenuation then something is not quite right.
Would be useful to see the negotiated connection properties page

Gregor

80/20 FTTC
Standard User sergiup
(learned) Tue 12-Sep-17 17:53:43
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Correction, ~12dB attenuation, ~6dB SNR Margin, I got mixed up.
Screenshots
I can upload the graphs from HG612, just need to know which (and to give it a couple of hours, my PC was off so no data has been harvested recently).

edit: I do know it's a Huawei 288 /384HD cabinet, the PCP is separate I believe, about 10 metres away from the cab.

Edited by sergiup (Tue 12-Sep-17 18:06:06)

Print Thread

Jump to