User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Sep-17 01:42:38
Print Post

Re: Sync speed drop after FritzBox replaced Zyxel

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:
I am using a 7490. The 3490 is effectively the 7490 without the PABX functions.

Its not just PBX that is the difference between the two, the 3490 has no phone features at all.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 310Mbps (down), 31Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Pablo_Pablovski
(regular) Fri 22-Sep-17 09:50:44
Print Post

[re: Pablo_Pablovski] [link to this post]

Update. After the router reset and connection to the test socket, DSL has gone down a couple times in 5 days. Line speed is now down to 25Mb/s, from a high of 37Mb/s. Apparently, I should be receiving a minimum of 32Mb/s, but 25Mb/s is not enough of a drop below that minimum for BT to accept a performance fault. Interestingly, SNR has continued to increase - it's now at 16dB, from a low of 7dB. The router reports a max attainable speed of 43Mb/s.

Zen support have been very supportive, and agree the problem arose from whatever the FritzBox router was doing on the line when it wouldn't stay synch'd when originally plugged in, but aren't currently able to offer a fix. Plan is to leave it for another week to see if BT Line Management enables an increase in the line capacity again.

Huh.. I'm tempted to put the Zyxel back in to see if that helps speed that BT LM recovery process - it was perfectly stable, no drops, for 6 months before the FritzBox went in. I'm told there's no way to reset LM to what it was before the FritzBox was installed.

Frustrating, but I'm hopeful!

ZeN
(regular) Fri 22-Sep-17 09:57:15
Print Post

Oh yeah, I was wondering if the line regrade from Fibre 2 to Fibre 1 could be the root cause. Does anyone know if that change involves moving my cable to a different DSLAM port or even a different DSLAM? Zen believed it requires an exchange visit by BT but didn't know exactly what was done.

If a hard change is made, that would be an area for investigation. I might ask for a re-regrade to Fibre 2 to see what happens, presuming Zen would honour the Big Deal pricing.

ZeN

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(committed) Fri 22-Sep-17 12:44:14
Print Post

This is probably completely irrelevant as everyone's line is different, but it improved things for me and at least one other user.

My line (with lots of patching) syncs consistently at about 15% below what the Fritz shows as attainable, due I suspect to BT's DLM settings. But the Fritz 7490 has been otherwise consistent on VDSL2 for me, except for one unique period when I suffered line drops, high latency and packet loss and a drop in synch progressively which reached over one-third. It was completely cured by using the Fritz advanced interface option under line management to roll back to the previous DSL firmware. Thereafter, no more such problems. (Do a back up though so you can revert, as there is no option to revert back to current firmware again).

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User bob_lucas
(learned) Fri 22-Sep-17 14:45:04
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

In an earlier post, you indicated that the problem with dropouts and poor speeds ceased, after you had unplugged the FritzBox - and reverted to your previous Zyxel VMG810 router.

In that case, why don't you try the Zyxel VMG810 again? Leave it plugged in for 7 to 10 days, to allow DLM to respond. What is If the point of using the FritzBox, if the Zylex performs better?
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 22-Sep-17 15:00:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pablo_Pablovski:
Update. After the router reset and connection to the test socket, DSL has gone down a couple times in 5 days. Line speed is now down to 25Mb/s, from a high of 37Mb/s. Apparently, I should be receiving a minimum of 32Mb/s, but 25Mb/s is not enough of a drop below that minimum for BT to accept a performance fault. Interestingly, SNR has continued to increase - it's now at 16dB, from a low of 7dB. The router reports a max attainable speed of 43Mb/s.

Zen support have been very supportive, and agree the problem arose from whatever the FritzBox router was doing on the line when it wouldn't stay synch'd when originally plugged in, but aren't currently able to offer a fix. Plan is to leave it for another week to see if BT Line Management enables an increase in the line capacity again.

Huh.. I'm tempted to put the Zyxel back in to see if that helps speed that BT LM recovery process - it was perfectly stable, no drops, for 6 months before the FritzBox went in. I'm told there's no way to reset LM to what it was before the FritzBox was installed.

There's only two certain ways to get a reset done.

1) A speed regrade will trigger a DLM reset, at least it has done in my case. Unfortunately this will start a new 12 month contract if you're not currently in one.

2) A broadband engineer or an engineer from Openreach who can perform a DLM reset if they choose to do so.

3) Changing you from their LLU backhaul to WBMC or vice versa should also trigger a DLM reset, it did do when it happened to me a long time ago. But this probably can't be requested just for the purpose of resetting DLM.

There's also one other option but will require a modem that is capable of allowing you to adjust the SNRM target or capping the sync rate, for example the HG612 can cap the sync rate. A high enough SNRM will cause very few errors and ideally over time DLM will recover, though banded lines generally rarely recover or take forever to do so (just error correction most of the time).

Edited by Ixel (Fri 22-Sep-17 15:04:16)

(regular) Fri 22-Sep-17 15:21:07
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Thanks. I'd noticed the option to use older DSL firmware but I didn't try it because it's not clear exactly what it does. I'll mention to Zen when I next speak to them. I note the advice to backup the config first - thanks.

ZeN
(regular) Fri 22-Sep-17 15:25:18
Print Post

[re: bob_lucas] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bob_lucas:
In an earlier post, you indicated that the problem with dropouts and poor speeds ceased, after you had unplugged the FritzBox - and reverted to your previous Zyxel VMG810 router.

In that case, why don't you try the Zyxel VMG810 again? Leave it plugged in for 7 to 10 days, to allow DLM to respond. What is If the point of using the FritzBox, if the Zylex performs better?

Yep, good point and I'd suggested that to Zen. They were keen to keep the FritzBox in place to see if it would stabilise and DLM would reconfigure the profile and return the last bandwidth. However, if the current line speed persists, I think I'll restore the Zyxel, and pester Zen to refund the regrade cost they charged when I moved from Fibre 2 to Fibre 1.

ZeN
(regular) Fri 22-Sep-17 15:34:09
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
In reply to a post by Pablo_Pablovski:

There's only two certain ways to get a reset done.

1) A speed regrade will trigger a DLM reset, at least it has done in my case. Unfortunately this will start a new 12 month contract if you're not currently in one.

2) A broadband engineer or an engineer from Openreach who can perform a DLM reset if they choose to do so.

3) Changing you from their LLU backhaul to WBMC or vice versa should also trigger a DLM reset, it did do when it happened to me a long time ago. But this probably can't be requested just for the purpose of resetting DLM.

There's also one other option but will require a modem that is capable of allowing you to adjust the SNRM target or capping the sync rate, for example the HG612 can cap the sync rate. A high enough SNRM will cause very few errors and ideally over time DLM will recover, though banded lines generally rarely recover or take forever to do so (just error correction most of the time).

Thanks Ixel, that's useful information. I'm, not sure how I can get Openreach to reset DLM - Zen tell me they (OR) wouldn't accept my current position as a line fault. But I will press this point.

If contracting to move back from Fibre 1 to Fibre 2 would trigger a reset, I'd be happy to try that to get back to where I was. A renewed contract wouldn't be a problem, given I'm only 3 weeks or so into the refreshed agreement that started on 1st Sept. The extra cost might be a negotiating point.

I fully intend to be a nuisance about this to Zen - their insistence on providing a new router when taking up the Big Deal offer has resulted in this issue. It's new to them, but it's still their responsibility to resolve. I've no intention of remaining on a limited capacity line, when I know it's capable of better, for the rest of a 2 year contract.

Thanks to everyone who's responded - I appreciate all your advice and info. Feel free to fire away with any other comments or suggestions. It's a small issue in the scheme of things but it's annoying to know that a service is being hobbled because of inflexibility.

ZeN
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 22-Sep-17 15:42:45
Print Post

You're welcome, and quite right, I would too if I was in your situation. I've been having problems for a while with packet loss/slow single threaded download speed (still am, pending a solution). There was a line fault underground which was apparently resolved but I'm still getting an abnormal amount of FEC errors (which if it wasn't for INP 4 delay 12ms it would be a continuous amount of CRC errors). However I can't push this matter any further sadly as it's a matter of "connection isn't re-syncing or hardly re-syncing at all, speed is fine and no line fault found by the voice engineer or WLR3 test or w/e it's called". This is why I've now ordered a second line with A&A, who have a reputation for getting on BT's back for the slightest problem and not letting go until it's sorted, so I'm kinda hoping the second line shows a problem which is related to the current line's poor error stats.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to