User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bsdnazz
(learned) Fri 29-Sep-17 10:44:45
Print Post

Voice fault logged

[link to this post]

I've just logged my second fault with Zen since I signed up in Feb 2012.

Early yesterday morning ( Sep 28th ) my broadband resynced and it's been doing so on and off ever since. Lots of errors are being logged using DSLstats. Previously we had 4086 FEC errors per hour and now we have over quarter of a million.

Our target SNR was until quite recently 6dB but a couple of weeks ago it was set to 3dB and we saw a decent sync speed increase from about 67Mb/s to to 76Mb/s. We now have a downstream SNR of 10dB, sync of 45Mb/s down ( was 76) and 6Mb/s up (was 20). We are also now experiencing quite frequent dropouts and stuttering - Radio Four from TuneIn via Alexia is a pain now.

Thankfully (!) the analogue voice circuit is noisy as hell and so I've logged a voice fault with Zen CS. I was asked to do all the standard master socket tests and use a different analogue handset and a filter in the master socket. As we have a DECT phone system the only analogue phone connection is the flylead to the DECT base station.

Zen have just called back to confirm an engineer Openreach will check the line on Monday morning ( 8am to 1pm) and possibly need access to the internal wiring - all 6 inches of it!

Fingers crossed!
Standard User bsdnazz
(learned) Mon 02-Oct-17 22:49:22
Print Post

Re: Voice fault logged

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

Boring follow up.

The Openreach engineer visited, confirmed a fault ( HR? ) fixed it, installed one of the new VDSL plates and left.

All is well again but the SNR is currently 6.3dB (current speeds are 57/20) and I hope it will drop down to 3dB in a few days time.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Oct-17 09:27:00
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bsdnazz:
Boring follow up.

That's what you want and how it should be! smile
Rather than "...14 Openreach engineers later..."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bsdnazz
(learned) Tue 10-Oct-17 22:47:43
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
That's what you want and how it should be! smile
Rather than "...14 Openreach engineers later..."

Indeed! SNR Down now shows as 2.9 and my data rates are 77Mb/20Mb which is nice.
  Print Thread

Jump to