User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Dec-17 19:29:36
Print Post

Re: Better wifi performance with FRITZ!Box 3490?

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ajays:
As a way of mitigating the damage of a ICMP Flood DDOS attack the FRITZ!Box deliberately drops ICMP echo requests if it receives more than one ping per second.

On the TBB BQM this will look like continuous packet loss. But, only ICMP packets are affected.

Agreed, browsing, downloading and uploading will be fine.

Like I said, its a shame you cannot add the host address doing the pings and the amount of allowed Pings to allow on the FritzBox, that would resolve this issue.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Dec-17 10:02:46
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

What it needs is an ISP that uses these boxes to push AVM for an update

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sat 16-Dec-17 10:23:44
Print Post

As a way of mitigating the damage of a ICMP Flood DDOS attack the FRITZ!Box deliberately drops ICMP echo requests if it receives more than one ping per second.

On the TBB BQM this will look like continuous packet loss. But, only ICMP packets are affected.

When I had similar issues with my 7490 earlier this year, neither Zen nor AVM could offer an explanation. The packet loss disappeared after a couple of months round about the time that Zen switched my connection to their GEA backhaul. I would be interested to know if there is an explanation for what is happening here:

High Bursts of Latency

Fritz!boxes do not like BQM!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Sat 16-Dec-17 11:07:56
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I presume more than one app was trying to ping your router - TBB BQM plus another. Then the second app stopped pinging the router after a period of time.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sat 16-Dec-17 12:47:06
Print Post

I presume more than one app was trying to ping your router - TBB BQM plus another. Then the second app stopped pinging the router after a period of time.

OK - so what, if anything, do I do about it?
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Dec-17 13:04:11
Print Post

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

What do you mean by multiple pings?

This is a Fritz!Box 3490 on an absolutely dreadful connection which syncs well below what it should do (below handback threshhold), both downstream and up; https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I'm not seeing anything like your graph is showing.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Dec-17 13:12:55
Print Post

On mine, the only app was tbb - unless you are doing pings yourselves

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Dec-17 16:09:06
Print Post

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukwiz:
What it needs is an ISP that uses these boxes to push AVM for an update

I have not long asked via twitter for a feature request to allow the user to be able to add a host address to the allowed to ping list and also allow to fine tune the amount of ICMP Pings that host is allowed to send every X time.

They normally reply to me not long after the tweet, but it being the weekend I might not hear anything back till next week.

If I don't hear anything I will send them a direct message or email.

I really loved the 4040 router, it might be ugly but it worked ok for me, well apart from the dropping of packets LOL.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User herbgold
(member) Sat 16-Dec-17 20:32:48
Print Post

How's this for instant gratification - I phoned one of your colleagues in the Zen sales department after I'd read your reply, and received the Fritzbox around lunchtime today. Have just connected it all up and the wired speed is a little faster. But... wait for it... the wireless speed is nearly three times as fast as with the old router. In fact, wired and wireless speeds are indistinguishable. Amazing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to