User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User herbgold
(member) Thu 14-Dec-17 16:42:58
Print Post

Better wifi performance with FRITZ!Box 3490?

[link to this post]

We're using the original Zen FTTC two-box combo - the Openreach modem (it calls itself an Echolife HG612) and the Technicolour TG 582 router. This gets us good wired speeds of around 72Mbps down and 17Mbps up (we're about 100 metres from our cabinet). Our wifi download speeds are way down from that, at around 26Mbps (but still around 17Mbps up).

I was wondering if the FRITZ!Box 3490 would give use significantly better download wifi speeds to warrant spending the £138?

Edited by herbgold (Thu 14-Dec-17 16:46:40)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Dec-17 17:32:16
Print Post

Re: Better wifi performance with FRITZ!Box 3490?

[re: herbgold] [link to this post]

Well I have a 3390 and a 4040 FritzBoxes and the Wi-Fi wasn't all that.

The 3390 (modem / router) was ok on ADSL2+ when we on that, the Wi-Fi was ok, grated it had issues covering our entire home but was ok.

The 4040 (wireless router) on our FTTP connection had loads of packetloss and the Wi-Fi was dropping all the time and failing to authenticate some devices.

So I am on the fence to do with Fritz Modem / Routers.

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.47 Mbps (down), 29.78 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Dec-17 17:44:14
Print Post

If you're willing to increase your budget by £12, then forget about the Fritzbox and go for the Netgear R7800 @ £150 - which is currently THE best standalone router for wifi range & speeds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-R7800-100UKS-Nighth...

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Dec-17 19:10:59
Print Post

Rember that you don't have to change your router to get improved wi-fi performance.

If your current router is giving good stable wired speeds, then leave it alone ....
.... and add a new wireless access point.

If you can run a network cable to the room where you want to use the wi-fi, then put put the access point there.

Line One:- Zen Fibre 1 - DrayTek Vigor 2860ac
Line Two:- Andrews and Arnold - DrayTek Vigor 130 Modem

Edited by Sandgrounder (Thu 14-Dec-17 19:13:44)

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Dec-17 19:28:13
Print Post

Keep in mind that there are two parts to your WiFi circuit, the modem and the corresponding WiFi Transmitter/Receiver in your laptop or what-ever.

Assuming a laptop, try it out elsewhere, such as at a friend's etc, to see how it performs there.
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Fri 15-Dec-17 09:50:24
Print Post

The FRITZ!Box 3490 will most definitely give you an improvement in WiFi speeds compared with the TG582n.

We're currently running a promotion for existing customers with more than 45% off our standard price. That means you can get the FRITZ!Box 3490 for £75 including next working day delivery.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User herbgold
(member) Fri 15-Dec-17 10:08:54
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

I'll do that. Many thanks. I'm going with is because (a) it's the official supported Zen solution (b) happier with a one-box solution than the current two boxes (c) (now) cheapness. Thanks to all who replied.
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Dec-17 11:56:51
Print Post

Changing to a 3490 I got an increase in download of about 8%.

Unfortunately I also got continuous packet loss on TBB BQM:
My Broadband Ping

Zen said that the 3490 cannot handle multiple pings.

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Dec-17 14:52:53
Print Post

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukwiz:
Unfortunately I also got continuous packet loss on TBB BQM:
My Broadband Ping

Zen said that the 3490 cannot handle multiple pings.

That's what I got on my 4040 on my FTTP connection shown >>> here <<< (not as bad as yours, mine was every 3 or 6 hours which started 10 days after boot), its a form of Anti-DDOS type of thing I was told, which is to stop people from ping flooding the router.

Its a shame you cannot put in a list of IP's you want to allow to ping you and the amount of Ping Packets to allow per second / minute.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Fri 15-Dec-17 15:03:14)

ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Fri 15-Dec-17 15:21:58
Print Post

As a way of mitigating the damage of a ICMP Flood DDOS attack the FRITZ!Box deliberately drops ICMP echo requests if it receives more than one ping per second.

On the TBB BQM this will look like continuous packet loss. But, only ICMP packets are affected.

Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 15-Dec-17 19:29:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by ajays:
As a way of mitigating the damage of a ICMP Flood DDOS attack the FRITZ!Box deliberately drops ICMP echo requests if it receives more than one ping per second.

On the TBB BQM this will look like continuous packet loss. But, only ICMP packets are affected.

Agreed, browsing, downloading and uploading will be fine.

Like I said, its a shame you cannot add the host address doing the pings and the amount of allowed Pings to allow on the FritzBox, that would resolve this issue.

Paul

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Dec-17 10:02:46
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

What it needs is an ISP that uses these boxes to push AVM for an update

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited-and now ipv6!l) but huge packet loss
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sat 16-Dec-17 10:23:44
Print Post

When I had similar issues with my 7490 earlier this year, neither Zen nor AVM could offer an explanation. The packet loss disappeared after a couple of months round about the time that Zen switched my connection to their GEA backhaul. I would be interested to know if there is an explanation for what is happening here:

High Bursts of Latency

Fritz!boxes do not like BQM!!
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Sat 16-Dec-17 11:07:56
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I presume more than one app was trying to ping your router - TBB BQM plus another. Then the second app stopped pinging the router after a period of time.

Andrew
ZeN Internet
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sat 16-Dec-17 12:47:06
Print Post

I presume more than one app was trying to ping your router - TBB BQM plus another. Then the second app stopped pinging the router after a period of time.

OK - so what, if anything, do I do about it?
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Dec-17 13:04:11
Print Post

What do you mean by multiple pings?

This is a Fritz!Box 3490 on an absolutely dreadful connection which syncs well below what it should do (below handback threshhold), both downstream and up; https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I'm not seeing anything like your graph is showing.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Dec-17 13:12:55
Print Post

On mine, the only app was tbb - unless you are doing pings yourselves

David

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Dec-17 16:09:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukwiz:
What it needs is an ISP that uses these boxes to push AVM for an update

I have not long asked via twitter for a feature request to allow the user to be able to add a host address to the allowed to ping list and also allow to fine tune the amount of ICMP Pings that host is allowed to send every X time.

They normally reply to me not long after the tweet, but it being the weekend I might not hear anything back till next week.

If I don't hear anything I will send them a direct message or email.

I really loved the 4040 router, it might be ugly but it worked ok for me, well apart from the dropping of packets LOL.

Paul

Standard User herbgold
(member) Sat 16-Dec-17 20:32:48
Print Post

How's this for instant gratification - I phoned one of your colleagues in the Zen sales department after I'd read your reply, and received the Fritzbox around lunchtime today. Have just connected it all up and the wired speed is a little faster. But... wait for it... the wireless speed is nearly three times as fast as with the old router. In fact, wired and wireless speeds are indistinguishable. Amazing.
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Jan-18 06:43:04
Print Post

I've tried various routers and the FritzBox was one of the worst for WiFi performance. Most of the Asus routers were much much better.

Rather than buying a new router though, you could also use homeplugs to either hard-wire the device or have a WiFi hotspot, with something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220T-KIT-V1-...
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 21-Jan-18 11:48:08
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:

When I had similar issues with my 7490 earlier this year, neither Zen nor AVM could offer an explanation. The packet loss disappeared after a couple of months round about the time that Zen switched my connection to their GEA backhaul. I would be interested to know if there is an explanation for what is happening here:

High Bursts of Latency

Fritz!boxes do not like BQM!!

This problem has now been fixed with AVM's release of its latest beta firmware. Previously, AVM said that there wasn't an issue after looking at the boxes diagnostic. They pulled the beta shortly after I raised the issue with them.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I should add that the Fritz!Box mesh (box plus 1750E WLAN) gives excellent wifi speeds all around the house.

Edited by lexden16 (Sun 21-Jan-18 11:50:20)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to