User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Jekkyl
(newbie) Sat 30-Dec-17 22:23:45
Print Post

Terrible speeds - exchange congestion

[link to this post]

So I've been with Zen for about 6 weeks now and the connection has been rubbish from day 1 but I gave the connection some time to do its DLM training etc. I logged a fault with Zen a few weeks ago and nothing seems to be happening about it. This is supposed to be an FTTC max speed connection...

They have followed it up with me and told me it's a known issue but they wont tell me what the issue actually is and apparently the engineers made some changes somewhere which seems to have made things worse and I've been told because its now Xmas that nothing more will get done now until the new year even thou i logged it about 10 days before xmas.........

The internet connection is basically unusable in the evenings due to the timeouts, packet loss and general rubbish speeds so It clearly seems to be an exchange/congestion issue so just wondering how much luck ppl have had getting anything similar resolved?

edit: I did find this thread and wonder if its related to the issues im having....
six months to fix throughput problem

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Jekkyl (Sat 30-Dec-17 22:30:56)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Dec-17 07:30:26
Print Post

Re: Terrible speeds - exchange congestion

[re: Jekkyl] [link to this post]

Have you some router stats you can post ?

Standard User Jekkyl
(newbie) Sun 31-Dec-17 08:49:13
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Have you some router stats you can post ?

these ones?

dsl stats

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Dec-17 11:32:41
Print Post

Summat not right there 46 meg downstream on 15db line attenuation.

Can you describe the set up of what’s connected how in your property ?

Standard User Jekkyl
(newbie) Sun 31-Dec-17 17:14:20
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Summat not right there 46 meg downstream on 15db line attenuation.

Can you describe the set up of what’s connected how in your property ?

Its just the supplied Fritz box, connected to the master socket. No phones or anything connected but I have no idea what the wiring is like. I also questioned them about the high attenuation but they didn't seem concerned.

Spent along time using vdsl back in New Zealand so know it reasonably well hence the post since I know somethings wrong but don't feel like they actually know the issue even thou they are saying they do.....
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 31-Dec-17 18:43:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jekkyl:
Its just the supplied Fritz box

Reading this thread

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/unhappiness/4556600...

it may be that your Fritzbox is the cause of the low throughput, probably worth rolling back the firmware on the router to see what happens. Also if you can, try a different different router on your line (borrow one from family/friend/neighbour), this will at least confirm if the fritzbox is to blame in any way.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 31-Dec-17 22:19:43
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

.... yep, and maybe borrow a corded phone and check the line for a dialling tone/noise.

Standard User gregormac
(regular) Mon 01-Jan-18 11:43:13
Print Post

I've used both fritz box 7490 and 3490 with Zen and not had any issues

Have a look at this software http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk/

JD's auto speed tested, will test your connection at various intervals. I used this with Zen when I had high packet loss and low download speed that Zen denied existed.

Once I was able to show them the stats they did take the fault seriously, and did find a config fault on one of their gateways.

I agree tho that your downstream speed isn't right. Ive a 13dB line and get full 80 meg. Can you post up a pic of the Fritzbox spectrum?

80/20 FTTC Zen Internet
Fritzbox 7490
Standard User Jekkyl
(newbie) Mon 01-Jan-18 23:17:08
Print Post

[re: gregormac] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gregormac:
I've used both fritz box 7490 and 3490 with Zen and not had any issues

Have a look at this software http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk/

JD's auto speed tested, will test your connection at various intervals. I used this with Zen when I had high packet loss and low download speed that Zen denied existed.

Once I was able to show them the stats they did take the fault seriously, and did find a config fault on one of their gateways.

I agree tho that your downstream speed isn't right. Ive a 13dB line and get full 80 meg. Can you post up a pic of the Fritzbox spectrum?

Will check that software out. Here's the spectrum
Spectrum

Im going to talk to them again tomorrow before starting to change the firmware etc as it does only really happen in the evenings. But that doesn't really explain the DSL stats.
Standard User gregormac
(regular) Tue 02-Jan-18 09:48:07
Print Post

Morning, Ok you have something odd happening in the lower frequencies. That its showing drop outs over the lower band but not into the higher points to something noisy on the line affecting only the lower frequencies which is very odd.

Do you have a filter connected or a VDSL faceplate? You say you have no phone connected. Do you know if there is any extension wires connected if you open up the socket? Can you take Pics of how its connected to the BT master socket and I'll be able to advise further

80/20 FTTC Zen Internet
Fritzbox 7490
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to