User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Jan-18 22:19:30
Print Post

Re: Terrible speeds - exchange congestion

[re: deezel] [link to this post]

Are you out of contract? With mass market ISPs e.g. BT this type of congestion is virtually unheard of nowadays.

I'm no longer with BT, but when I was my speedtests were like this (on 55meg):
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14716296064...
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14770058691...
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14796806831...
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14833184342...

On Sky currently, no slowdowns either, but a bit of QOS on their Sky Q router.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 11-Jan-18 22:21:23)

Standard User jdigz7
(regular) Fri 12-Jan-18 03:57:08
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Do you have some sort of personal vendetta against small market ISP's ? Because this is one of many posts recently I've read by you spouting off [censored] about congestion not being an issue on mass market ISP's and how these small ISP's with such good reputation are pointless.

My area has many mass market isp's VM/Sky/BT All as it stand's have congestion at peak times.

The best out of the 3 being VM currently with Sky being alot better than BT.

Congestion can happen to any ISP at least with Zen he can speak to someone who can either provide a fix date or find the problem and or allow him to migrate to another ISP if not happy.

When this line was installed here I was on BT option 2. in peak times couldnt get more than 20Mbit many many many phonecalls later i decided to go down the CEO complaints office route and even they couldn't give a satisfactory fix date and allowed me to migrate to another ISP with no penalty and compensated me.

So as much as you are entitled to have you're own opinion I hope when other users who are not regulars on this forum actually do their own homework regarding this than take your advice cause simply it is utter garbage.

Maybe you should enquire about a weekend sales job with BT.

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Are you out of contract? With mass market ISPs e.g. BT this type of congestion is virtually unheard of nowadays.

I'm no longer with BT, but when I was my speedtests were like this (on 55meg):
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14716296064...
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14770058691...
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14796806831...
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14833184342...

On Sky currently, no slowdowns either, but a bit of QOS on their Sky Q router.
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Fri 12-Jan-18 08:37:40
Print Post

[re: deezel] [link to this post]

If you send me a PM with your details I'll look into it for you.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Jan-18 11:49:04
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

No vendetta, just only see congestion posts recently on small ISPs, usually the same ISPs, having used a couple myself I also found them to be significantly worse.

Typical offenders are Zen, Post Office, Vodafone, SSE, Virginmedia. I avoid recommending these, I would recommend certain small providers, namely AAISP who to-date have always responded politely and resolved issues.

It's unlikely you have congestion on all of the major mass market ISPs in the same location, especially if you are referring to fibre. Due to network layout, congestion was more localised on ADSL/ADSL2+ than fibre (FTTC/FTTH).

For reference VM assign tickets and fix dates, as well as reducing the monthly cost.

BT will allow you to leave if you escalate the case and congestion is confirmed, as you experienced.

Due to the head-end exchanges on fibre, we see less cases of congestion on mass market fibre ISPs. It is more rare the congestion ends up very localised for long periods of time.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 12-Jan-18 11:52:23)

Standard User jdigz7
(regular) Fri 12-Jan-18 12:48:12
Print Post

I mean I reside in this location and use the internet in this location not quite sure what you mean by unlikely but I can say that within the last 12 months Sky/VM/BT have all had congestion in the area like I said with the worst being BT.

Majority is FTTC on the Sky/BT side. Which indeed has congestion. I could go into detail why this area has congestion on Sky and BT but i feel it would be a waste of my time.

Could you provide any factual statistics that 'we' see less congestion on mass market ISP's other than yet another personal statement which has no merit.

I'm very aware of the process VM have for fix dates and if you take a look around on their own forums some fix dates move rather often or don't happen for a very long time.

Again in my eyes your posts are very targeted at Zen and small number of providers discussed on here.

If you want a sample base of people having problems with mass market ISPs i suggest you take a look at the ISP forums cause it would seem you are oblivious to them if you are making such bold statements.

But more back to the point...

Congestion can happen on any ISP. Some of these small ISP like Zen/IDnet/AAISP provide a good support service and seriously lets just be honest here it's far easier to get something dealt with properly with these providers rather than the Mass Market ISP's.

I agree as of late I have seen alot of posts regarding Zen but if these users who have problems don't actively engage with their provider to sort such issue out then the problem isn't just the ISP. Take you're money elsewhere.

No vendetta, just only see congestion posts recently on small ISPs, usually the same ISPs, having used a couple myself I also found them to be significantly worse.

Typical offenders are Zen, Post Office, Vodafone, SSE, Virginmedia. I avoid recommending these, I would recommend certain small providers, namely AAISP who to-date have always responded politely and resolved issues.

It's unlikely you have congestion on all of the major mass market ISPs in the same location, especially if you are referring to fibre. Due to network layout, congestion was more localised on ADSL/ADSL2+ than fibre (FTTC/FTTH).

For reference VM assign tickets and fix dates, as well as reducing the monthly cost.

BT will allow you to leave if you escalate the case and congestion is confirmed, as you experienced.

Due to the head-end exchanges on fibre, we see less cases of congestion on mass market fibre ISPs. It is more rare the congestion ends up very localised for long periods of time.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Jan-18 13:04:24
Print Post

I too feel much more confident with smaller ISPs actually trying to get to the bottom of issues, particularly those that are not clear line fault issues.

If you complain to mass market ISPs about single thread issues, you are much less likely to get any traction with them in my view.

I'm really not certain that the mass market ISPs are any better at managing bandwidth than the smaller ISPs either. Surely it's just a matter of scale.

I know Zen have had well publicised single thread speed issues, but for the most part these have been resolved by their Network Ops team and seem to down to equipment configuration rather than a fundamental congestion issue either at cabinets, the exchanges or the Zen backhaul.

Interestingly neither jdigz7 nor me get anything like your continuity of single thread performance, but neither of us see jumping to BT, Sky or Virgin as the way forward. As I am posting on the Zen board, I have to say I would rather go with Zen than any of the mass market players, despite this ongoing thread.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Jan-18 13:53:53
Print Post

My single thread performance on mass market ISPs has been perfect, period. I have dealt with congestion on ISPs also, all mass market.

I post on BT Forums and Sky Forums, with 5000+ posts there also so I see the congestion issues and likewise often see them followed to completion. In terms of mass market ISP not dealing with congestion, definitely first level on the phone do little, but as the complaint escalates it is absolutely taken seriously.

Plenty of the "congestion" on BT is indeed not due to congestion, but rather the HomeHub 5 having throughput issues, with speeds fixing around 30Mbps. There are known issues on HH5A and HH5B worth exploring, which is something we do over on the BT Forums.

Perhaps my personal preference for Mass Market is my personal knowledge of who to escalate to, and hence I can get good results on those ISPs.

Where congestion is valid it often affects large numbers and is resolved quickly in my experience,

Nothing against small players, but absolutely seen too many cases where it has turned personal very quickly with these small providers, in ways unheard of with a bigger provider. That alone is enough to put me off.

Anyway, this is distracting from the OPs thread. My suggestion is to see if Zen can resolve, if not, move on.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 12-Jan-18 14:00:01)

ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Fri 12-Jan-18 16:58:00
Print Post

We're very happy to get to the bottom of the problem. If the OP provides me with some details I'll ensure we do everything possible to get the problem resolved.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Jan-18 02:14:47
Print Post

Not always true as if the mass market ISP uses BT WBMC then the SVLAN will stay the same even after migration, i know because it happened to me, at least Zen got my circuit moved to a different svlan , both zen and Plusnet used the same BT wholesale backhaul, the difference was that at least zen did something about it

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 13-Jan-18 02:15:53)

Standard User Jekkyl
(newbie) Thu 18-Jan-18 19:03:56
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Issue got sorted , they changed my connection and all appears to be fixed now

Edited by Jekkyl (Thu 18-Jan-18 19:04:12)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to