User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AstroflashTB
(newbie) Sun 11-Mar-18 18:05:00
Print Post

High "frame loss %" when using GeForce Now & 1080P buffering

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm trying to use Nvidia's GeForce now Cloud gaming service but the test connection is suggesting that the frame loss is over 90% (https://imgur.com/a/EApuu) (packet loss?) in pretty much all cases, and when trying to play games it stutters a lot, so it's not just an issue with the tester itself. I'm on Zen's Fibre 2 service (76/19) with a wired connection and speed tests are very good for the most part (70Mbps+ multi-threaded)
- However single threaded download speeds at peak times are pretty poor -> 10-15Mbps (https://imgur.com/a/9A1Kr) compared with over 60mbps at non-peak times. Frame loss % did not improve however in non-peak times.

I've tried two different modem/routers (Netgear D6400 and TP-Link VR400) but it's made no difference. I've also tried disabling QOS, as recommended on the Nvidia troubleshooting page but that hasn't helped.

The fact that only a few other people have had this issue and not too recently leads me to belief it's an issue with Zen. I'm currently plugged into the test socket of the master socket, as recommended by a Zen technician yesterday, but it hasn't made a difference. I also sometimes notice 1080P videos buffering, even though it's on a wired connection which is strange as it would seem to be an insignificant portion of the bandwidth available...

What should I try next? Is my single-threaded download speed normal?

Thanks for any advice smile

Edited by AstroflashTB (Sun 11-Mar-18 18:15:19)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Mar-18 18:51:29
Print Post

Re: High "frame loss %" when using GeForce Now & 1080P buffe

[re: AstroflashTB] [link to this post]

What bit rate is the video running at? i.e. bandwidth utilisation.

If as suggested they want over 25 Mbps then your single thread speed is the key
25 Mbps is massively higher than the usual 4 to 6 Mbps for 1080p video streaming.

The difference between your single and multiple is NOT normal, I can dig out tests with single thread in the 600 Mbps plus region

What connections and hardware are people using that gets good performance? Twitch used to have problems with server configurations and viewers of a stream had to tweak how it was delivered to them to avoid horrendous lag and dropped frames, i.e. this might be a GeForce issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 11-Mar-18 21:02:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I guess I should contact Zen tomorrw regarding the single thread issue. I don't see how the issues are linked however.. Surely if the speed is measured above 50Mbps that would imply multiple threads are being used?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Mar-18 21:21:45
Print Post

On a connection at over 60Mbps sync a single-thread speedtest should show over 50Mbps wired. If it doesn't, but the multi-thread does, that is a strong pointer to congestion in the ISP's backhaul.

On your link https://imgur.com/a/9A1Kr the left-hand green graph and figures are single-thread. The right-hand yellow is 6-thread.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Mar-18 21:24:57)

(newbie) Sun 11-Mar-18 21:53:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. How come that is the case? Isn't single threaded downloading a file from one server, while the multi-threaded is downloading 6 files from a server? Why isn't there congestion on the multi-threaded test if there is congestion on the single threaded test., Are other speed tests (speedtest.net) for example also multi-threaded?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Mar-18 22:02:57
Print Post

speedtest.net is multi threaded

It is down to the way TCP works, by making multiple requests you are gaining a large slice of the available pie when there is congestion or some other rate limiting taking place.

I have no idea how the GeForce software is measuring transfer, it may or may not be a single thread or multiple thread measure

Video streams by their nature are normally single thread based

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 11-Mar-18 22:32:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Video streams by their nature are normally single thread based
+1
And (for the poster's information not yours) modern corporate websites generally multi-threaded. As they need to pick up often dozens of linked information from sources other than the main one. I.e. like speedtest.net, but in the corporate example a few to loads of streams from several servers at once.

The user's browser sees each link and sends out a request for the relevant data from wherever it is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 11-Mar-18 22:35:40)

Print Thread

Jump to