User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AstroflashTB
(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-18 20:00:49
Print Post

High packet loss on Zen Fibre 76/19

[link to this post]

Hi, there appears to be a lot of packet loss on our Zen Fibre line at the moment. What could this be indicative of? It wasn't there before we got Virgin Media services setup at our address. Could they be related?

Here's a link:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Cheers
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-18 20:34:00
Print Post

Re: High packet loss on Zen Fibre 76/19

[re: AstroflashTB] [link to this post]

Not sure if they are related, but those spikes are happening every hour apart from that full red bar when you "might of" rebooted your router.

Have you tried turning off your VM Hardware for about a few hours to see if the spikes stop, it might not stop, but it would be the easiest to try first.

Also what Modem / Router are you using on the Zen and VM connections?

Paul

BTBroadband - Infinity 4 312.27 Mbps (down), 30.5 Mbps (up) FVA
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User AstroflashTB
(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-18 21:01:41
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi Paul,

Yes the full red bar was the router restart of the Fritzbox 3490 (Modem/router supplied by Zen)

I'm also using the supplied Superhub 3 Modem/router for the VM connection. I will try turning off the Virgin equipment and see what happens. Not sure how they could be related as they are using different cables, of course.

I've tried setting up a BQM for the Virgin connection but it only seems to work for a few hours, then goes fully red, indicating 100% packet loss. I assumed it was because Virgin was switching my IP address even though I hadn't restarted the Superhub (not possible anway afaik) because I tried updating the IP address for the monitor but it was the same.

Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-18 22:15:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Not sure if they are related, but those spikes are happening every hour ....
There is an awful lot of red there apart from the hourly spikes. I do not see any red on my Zen Fibre.

@astroflashTB: did you have any packet loss before Virgin?

I would not have expected it to be related. However, I am interest in the outcome as Virgin are currently outside our house, laying the ducting for fibre now.

Line One:- Zen Fibre 1 - DrayTek Vigor 2860ac
Line Two:- Andrews and Arnold - DrayTek Vigor 130 Modem
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-18 00:37:19
Print Post

I had issues with my Fritz 4040 Router when running a BQM due to it couldn't handle all the pings and after a while it started to drop ping packets.

As for if its VM Equipment causing the issues I wouldn't know due to I will never be able to get VM here due to being a conservation area so no VM Cabinets down my road, not that I would go with them.

The reason I ask is that the PSU in the Superhub might be bad, or the Superhub might not be shielded good and RF might be leaking which is interfering on your Zen Connection.

Also how close are they together?

As for your IP changing all the time, ISP can change them without the need to reboot the hub.
BT do this a lot, some times my IP will stay the same for a month or two and another time it might just last a couple of weeks.

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-18 00:41:06
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
Not sure if they are related, but those spikes are happening every hour ....
There is an awful lot of red there apart from the hourly spikes. I do not see any red on my Zen Fibre.

What Modem / Router are you using?
Apart from the packet loss their connection seems to have nice latency.

Might be nice to know if they are using an IPv4 or IPv6 address.

In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
I would not have expected it to be related. However, I am interest in the outcome as Virgin are currently outside our house, laying the ducting for fibre now.

It probably not that at fault, but its worth checking though.

Paul

(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-18 06:33:13
Print Post

I do not see any red on my Zen Fibre.
What Modem / Router are you using?

I use a Draytek 2860. The Fritzbox would not do the port forwarding which I wanted.

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Mon 09-Apr-18 08:57:34
Print Post

This is purely a Fritz!Box thing. I have been there with a 7490 and now a 7590. It is the way that the Fritz!Box handles (or doesn't handle) pings. Previously, I have sent diagnostic reports to AVM which have also been responded to with no fault found. Other Fritz!Box users have reported the same problem from time to time. The packet loss is not linked to a high ES rate or slow download speeds. For example, I have been able to stream UHD with the most appalling BQM graph. You may also notice that there is a recurring pattern to your BQM.

FWiW, I am running a 7590 with the latest beta firmware and my BQM graph is clean:

Home BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Apr-18 10:34:00
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

The lack of blue and yellow spikes does suggest a software rejection of the packet rather than real world variations in packet delivery times

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Apr-18 12:49:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The lack of blue and yellow spikes does suggest a software rejection of the packet rather than real world variations in packet delivery times
Thank you for that explanation of the OP's BQM graph.

It puts my mind at rest. smile I am thinking of maybe swapping my second ADSL connection for VM.

The Zen service will, of course, remain as it is whatever I do about the second line.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to