User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 05-Aug-18 19:10:38
Print Post

Retain current price in exchange for extension of term

[link to this post]

Asking here in the hope I might get some help (or Zen might review policy)

Wen't live on full-fibre 1 in January and really happy with it, exactly the bandwidth I need at a price I am happy to pay (probably cheaper elsewhere but more then happy to pay an extra few quid for reliable support if I need it and proud to support a medium sized business that doesn't outsource it's support)

I am of course under contract until January and definitely want to stay with Zen, however, every so often I browse around the homepage and noticed that FF1 was no longer being offered and the cheapest was now FF3 at £50 a month.

I spoke to Sales who confirmed that I would be switched to this when my contract ended and there was no possibility of my retaining what I have, I was of course prepared for it to increase to £42 but I think a £15 quid increase is a bit steep.

Is there any possibility of me reamining on FF1 if I'm happy to agree to a new minimum term?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Fritzbox 3490
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Aug-18 19:28:53
Print Post

Re: Retain current price in exchange for extension of term

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

The price I see on the Zen website is £43.99 when the initial contract ends.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Aug-18 11:32:58
Print Post

Are FF1 and FF3 the same speeds?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bsdnazz
(regular) Mon 06-Aug-18 12:01:25
Print Post

I don't think Zen will be withdrawing FF1 and FF2 anytime soon!

FF1 & FF2 are the FTTC based up to 40 and up to 80 services.

FF3 & FF4 are the FTTP based 150 and 300 services.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Aug-18 12:21:07
Print Post

[re: bsdnazz] [link to this post]

It looks like the OP has clicked on the Ultrafast link not the when browsing the site, instead of the Superfast. As has been posetd earlier, Fast 1 is still there at £37 for 12 months followed by £43.99pm.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 67212/12130Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Aug-18 12:40:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by techguy:
I am of course under contract until January and definitely want to stay with Zen, however, every so often I browse around the homepage and noticed that FF1 was no longer being offered and the cheapest was now FF3 at £50 a month.

I spoke to Sales who confirmed that I would be switched to this when my contract ended and there was no possibility of my retaining what I have, I was of course prepared for it to increase to £42 but I think a £15 quid increase is a bit steep.
As posted by myself and others, you are mistaken. You appear to have looked at the Ultrafast page instead of the Superfast.

I suggest that you either thoroughly confused the Sales rep, or that particular one is incompetent.
Is there any possibility of me reamining on FF1 if I'm happy to agree to a new minimum term?
Your "contract" is simply to stay with them for a minimum term of 12 months. At the end of the 12 months you automatically go onto a rolling monthly contract, and the price will be as stated on the website, £43.99pm.

You don't need to do anything at all if you are happy with that price.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 67212/12130Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 06-Aug-18 21:42:59)

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 06-Aug-18 19:15:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Are FF1 and FF3 the same speeds?

No, FF1 is 39 Meg down and 9 up.

It was the cheapest deal I could get with Zen for this, FF3 is currently 150 Meg down and 27 up

I had been planning to get FTTP but my hand was forced when it was looking like I'd have to work from home due to snow before Christmas and the ADSL started flapping.

Fortunately I didn't have to but I placed the order that day as my boss wouldn't accept an excuse of 'sorry my broadband is down' and it was fortunate I did have it in March as the office did close due to snow.

39 Meg is ample for what I have connected.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Aug-18 19:29:46
Print Post

In which case you will stay on FF1 once contract is up and you shift to a 30 day rolling contract

Fibre Unlimited 1 is either FTTC 40/10 or FTTP 40/10 depending on what is actually available to you

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Fri 10-Aug-18 13:38:12
Print Post

Hi, I'm happy to confirm that Unlimited Full Fibre 1 is still being offered. We have absolutely no plans to stop offering the service. You may not have spotted the package on our website as it only shows up after an availability check. That's because it's only available for about 2% of households. Instead, we show the FTTC variant of the package, Unlimited Fibre 1. But they are both the same price when taken as a bundle with a phone line.

We are not switching customers onto more expensive packages when contracts end. (e.g. Full Fibre 3)

Customers can choose to upgrade onto a faster package at any time.

If you've taken advantage of our 12 month discount then the discount will stop when your contract ends. However, if you choose to renew your contract for another 12 months I'm sure we could extend your discounted period.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User dazbarber
(member) Tue 14-Aug-18 19:47:51
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

Hi. Sorry to jump in on the thread but what's been said has got me thinking...

I've been eyeing up the unlimited ADSL 12 month contract. It's a little cheaper than my 50GB capped Zen Lite service for 12 months and then goes up an extra £5 p/m.

Having read the messages above, am I able to swap to the unlimited service and save money on my current capped service and, after 12 months, negotiate another 12 months at the cheaper rate?

If, so, it's a no-brainer for me. At present I tend to use around 50GB (sometimes running out on the last day of the month) so paying an extra £60 per annum after a year wouldn't make sense but, if it's actually cheaper to go unlimited on a rolling 12 month contract then I'd jump on it. I'm sure I'd use a bit more on unlimited but it would be nice not having to worry about the cap.

I also have a Zen landline on a no-longer-available tariff which complicates things further although I think I'm best to stick with this until the rates are no longer frozen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Standard User cssuk
(regular) Mon 20-Aug-18 09:30:45
Print Post

[re: dazbarber] [link to this post]

i cant believe folks still have limited connections and are happy with that!

my own opinion bearing in mind I have no idea what land line deal you have is to have a look at the wider offerings available out there as an example

sky offer an 18 month contract on ADSL which includes line rental at £18.00 a month this increases after the 18 months to 38.00 but you also get a £100.00 prepaid card into the deal so with the card thats just over 12.00 a month granted no calls included but you can pay a small fee to have all that added personally my Wife and I have included calls on our mobiles so a landline is never even plugged in.

I left Zen for Sky and was happy for 5 years brilliant service and connection previously i was with Zen for 6 years, have just left Sky for BT on a FTTP offer.

Seriously look around dont get stuck on just one ISP because of a perceived Quality of service offer truth is all isps are pretty good these days.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 21-Aug-18 15:31:27
Print Post

[re: dazbarber] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dazbarber:
At present I tend to use around 50GB (sometimes running out on the last day of the month) so paying an extra £60 per annum after a year wouldn't make sense but, if it's actually cheaper to go unlimited on a rolling 12 month contract then I'd jump on it. I'm sure I'd use a bit more on unlimited but it would be nice not having to worry about the cap.

I also have a Zen landline on a no-longer-available tariff which complicates things further although I think I'm best to stick with this until the rates are no longer frozen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
I just had a look at their site, and don't know what you are paying at the moment, but assume your phone contract and existing broadband contract are separate.

The figures you give here come from the "With line rental" option, where I expect your existing line contract would be terminated. What exactly happens and if there is a cost to that might be in their detailed T & Cs but that's going a bit deep not knowing your current costs.

There is a "Broadband" (only) tab on the page I'm referring to to the right of the "With line rental" one you quote from. Two identical products except the 12-month term is cheaper for that period.

Is there any mileage in taking one of those with your current line rental contract?

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70615/12459Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 21-Aug-18 15:34:11)

Standard User dazbarber
(member) Tue 21-Aug-18 23:41:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was referring to Broadband only. Currently i pay just over £18 per month for 50GB. Unlimited broadband only would be exactly £18 per month for 12 months but then rise to £22.99 per month. As I only just get to 50GB it seems daft to pay an extra (almost) £5 per month after the year is up. At present, if I run out of data I can always 'top up' at £1.02 per Gigabyte. So on the odd month that I am going to exceed 50GB then I can pay a little more. It's unlikely that I'll pay out £60 per annum this way. So staying put at a 50GB seems to make sense. Only if I can swap to the unlimited at £18 per month and stay at that cost after the year is up does it make sense to move to unlimited (with the added benefit of not having to continuously watch my data usage).

This of course doesn't take into account the land line plus broadband offer (as explained above) or the fact that data-hungry devices (updating OSs/Sat Nav updates/Firmware updates) may tip me over 50GB every month in the near future. I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it!

Daz
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Aug-18 13:59:35
Print Post

Removed posts

[re: cssuk] [link to this post]

Time to say, calm down and in an attempt to do that have removed a few posts that involved bickering

Standard User cssuk
(regular) Fri 24-Aug-18 14:20:41
Print Post

Re: Removed posts

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

smile
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 17-Sep-18 19:04:12
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

Sorry been busy with work

Thanks @ajays

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to