User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rman
(newbie) Sun 26-Aug-18 18:21:39
Print Post

Moving from BT Infinity 2 to Unlimited Fibre 2

[link to this post]

Today I decided to move from BT Infinity to Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, i have a query regarding an email i received.

The email mentions a date "for an engineer to visit your local cabinet and upgrade your line to Unlimited Fibre 2 service".

I'm trying to understand why an engineer visit would be needed, considering i'm already connected to BT Infinity FTTC?

Thanks!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Aug-18 18:33:05
Print Post

Re: Moving from BT Infinity 2 to Unlimited Fibre 2

[re: rman] [link to this post]

It could be an engineer needs to move your connection at the exchange if Zen are taking you off BT Wholesale backhaul. I don't see why that would necessitate any work at the cabinet, but .

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70745/12295Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User rman
(newbie) Sun 26-Aug-18 18:40:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's what i was thinking but from a search over at samknows, it shows the following are enabled for my exchange:

- BT Wholesale ADSL
- BT Wholesale ADSL Max
- BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
- BT FTTC
- Vodafone LLU
- TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
- Sky Broadband

Wouldn't Zen need LLU enabled for my exchange to use their own backhaul?

Interestingly is also says: Zen is not yet available in your area

Edited by rman (Sun 26-Aug-18 18:41:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Adrianuk
(learned) Mon 27-Aug-18 00:17:56
Print Post

It seems likely that it is just a stock email to me
Standard User stepdey
(newbie) Mon 27-Aug-18 11:01:20
Print Post

[re: Adrianuk] [link to this post]

Just a thought, what happens when you change providers (but still on fiber) and theres a waiting list to get fiber at your cabinet ? Can that have any effect on you transferring to a different provider.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Aug-18 11:12:14
Print Post

[re: stepdey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stepdey:
Just a thought, what happens when you change providers (but still on fiber) and theres a waiting list to get fiber at your cabinet ? Can that have any effect on you transferring to a different provider.
Yes. Your chosen new provider would not be able to place an order for FTTC. Only ADSLx or sometimes FTTPoD.

Openreach do or used to provide a Waiting list for such situations, but AIUI only BT Consumer and perhaps BT Business use it. It would still (in most instances) prevent the particular user getting a clean migration as the moment their FTTC connection at the cabinet is released the first on the waiting list gets it. The user would be left with only ADSLx available until an FTTC port became available.

This is crazy but has been seen on these forums happening several times.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 70745/12295Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User stepdey
(newbie) Mon 27-Aug-18 13:45:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that RobertoS,

I will have to give it some thought about moving to a different provider when my existing contract expires early next year, I am paying £25 a month presently for faster fiber.

Was thinking about switching to Plusnet

This has been brought about by TalkTalks decision not to offer their existing customers their discounted deals as reported on here, 20th August, although the report didn't say exactly when they would be implementing this.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Aug-18 15:54:34
Print Post

When? With immediate effect was my understanding.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burble
(member) Mon 27-Aug-18 20:58:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by stepdey:
Was thinking about switching to Plusnet

This has been brought about by TalkTalks decision not to offer their existing customers their discounted deals as reported on here, 20th August, although the report didn't say exactly when they would be implementing this.

TalkTalks 'new' management have made a number of changes, I suppose to boost profits, I think they will find themselves looking at much higher churn rates soon.
Standard User stepdey
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-18 19:26:50
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Just seen this offer, I note at the bottom it states for new customers only (via uswitch) wonder how much if not via uswitch, and its a bit different from my quote on their site as an existing customer of £27.50p.

TalkTalk Fixed Price Unlimited Faster Fibre

Unlimited broadband with average** speeds of 35Mb
30-day Great Connection Guarantee: leave penalty-free if you're unhappy with your new TalkTalk fibre connection
No price rises for the duration of your contract

£19.95 a month
Includes line rental
Buy now
uSwitch Exclusive
18 month contract. £9.95 setup fee applies. Deal available to new TalkTalk customers who purchase through uSwitch only.
Standard User melevittfl
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-18 14:18:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by rman:
That's what i was thinking but from a search over at samknows, it shows the following are enabled for my exchange:

- BT Wholesale ADSL
- BT Wholesale ADSL Max
- BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
- BT FTTC
- Vodafone LLU
- TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
- Sky Broadband

Wouldn't Zen need LLU enabled for my exchange to use their own backhaul?

Interestingly is also says: Zen is not yet available in your area

I believe Zen uses either BT WBC or TalkTalk LLU for their backhaul connections from the exchange to them so it could be that they're switching you to TalkTalk LLU.
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Wed 29-Aug-18 21:21:46
Print Post

Samknows data tends to be out of date or incomplete when it comes to exchange coverage.

So we may have enabled an exchange even if samknows says otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User rman
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-18 21:37:00
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

Ah i see, would you be able to let me know if the West Malling exchange has been enabled?
Standard User rman
(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-18 21:54:39
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

What happens regarding my cabinet being full? I've just checked on bt wholesale and its showing that there is a waiting list on my cabinet.

Is switching provider a risk for me loosing my FTTC connection? I'm a software developer and I work remotely frequently, i cannot afford to drop down to an adsl connection.
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Wed 29-Aug-18 22:05:06
Print Post

Openreach won't accept new orders or orders to switch between providers with full cabinets. The exception to this are waiter orders. Waiter orders are basically a waiting list, as capacity becomes available Openreach process the top of the list. If capacity isn't available within 3 months the order is cancelled.

Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Wed 29-Aug-18 22:06:09
Print Post

PM me your details and I'll check tomorrow.

Andrew
ZeN Internet
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Thu 30-Aug-18 08:41:41
Print Post

West Malling exchange is not one of our "on-net" exchanges

Andrew
ZeN Internet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to