User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User melevittfl
(learned) Sun 23-Sep-18 17:43:36
Print Post

Re: Packet loss

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

I tried swapping the telephone cable and that didn't make a difference.

However, I've now tried swapping my Asus 68U router and Huawei HG612 modem for the Fritzbox. That has reduced the occurrence of regular packet loss.

I'm still getting the occasional latency spike.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User cssuk
(regular) Wed 26-Sep-18 11:05:33
Print Post

[re: bigbadpirate] [link to this post]

smile
he is a bit fragile isn't he, personally I marched with my feet from Zen 6 years ago after being a customer for 5 years for this exact reason and have never looked back, was with sky for those 6 years unlimited at avg 74/18.9 with a good 12-20ms ping to NL servers for games and have just swapped to BT FTTC Gfast at 270/35 and ping at 8-12 ms to the same servers also unlimited and paid/pay less than Zen for all that time, boutique providers are long overdue for a reality check truth is they no longer offer the same USP they once did the big boys offer the same service for less.

Edited by cssuk (Wed 26-Sep-18 21:07:09)

ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Wed 26-Sep-18 20:51:51
Print Post

[re: cssuk] [link to this post]

Our pricing has changed quite a bit in the 6 years you've been gone.

Our 'ultrafast' FTTC (G.Fast) packages don't cost anymore than BT's and have a shorter minimum term contract. In fact over the 18 months of a typical BT contract customers pay less with Zen for the same G.Fast service.

-------------------------------------------------------
Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cssuk
(regular) Wed 26-Sep-18 21:18:32
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

umm not when BT sweeten it with a £100.00 prepaid card, i see sky will also shortly be on gfast as well in all honesty had I known I probably wouldn't have swapped but hey ho

btw Zens is 5.00 a month more than I pay which is £55.00x18 = 990 - 100 = 890 and no activation charge with free Hub as well plus 1 TB online cloud storage for free

zens 18 months is £59.99 x 18 = £1079 both figs rounded down plus a £55.00 activation fee

both include line rental and nil calls not important as we have 2 mobiles with unlimited calls, messages and data

so am sorry Zen is no cheaper unless am misreading, so what extra would I be paying for ?

sorry aware am straying away from the thread slightly
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Wed 26-Sep-18 22:39:09
Print Post

Sorry I wasn't trying to start an argument. You obviously have a good deal from BT. My statement was based on BTs standard price as published online.These include an activation fee of £59.99 and monthly rental of £59.99 increasing to £64.99 after 18 months.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT...

My point was that Zen standard pricing isn't all that different from BT. And that's probably not something that could have been said 6 years ago.

Do BT run promotions that reduce the cost, of course they do but so do Zen from time to time.

Andrew
ZeN Internet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative ajays
(isp) Wed 26-Sep-18 22:42:02
Print Post

[re: melevittfl] [link to this post]

If I can help in anyway please feel free to drop me a private message. I'll do my best to get things sorted.

Andrew
ZeN Internet
Standard User melevittfl
(learned) Fri 28-Sep-18 14:03:37
Print Post

[re: ajays] [link to this post]

Thanks Ajays.

I think I'm ok for the moment. Still getting the occasional timeouts, but nowhere near as bad as before. I have to say, I've been impressed with Zen's support on following up with me to see if things have improved.

Only complaint at the moment is the toy-like Fritz box I'm having to use. Simple things like changing the domain the DHCP server gives out don't seem to be possible. Can't configure the DHCP server to give a client a specific IP address unless the client is offline. And at one point, it was returning two different IP addresses in response to DNS queries for the same host.
Standard User cssuk
(regular) Sat 29-Sep-18 07:09:46
Print Post

[re: melevittfl] [link to this post]

from past experience I would suggest a swap to a billion router have not found anything else in the consumer field that comes close in terms of stability and configuration options, they also have them with and without the VDSL modems built in, they are not cheap though but they do just get on with the job
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-18 12:49:34
Print Post

Agreed! They're way better than the, somewhat affordable, ZyXEL alternatives, which have many firmware bugs.

William Grimsley.
Standard User bigbadpirate
(member) Wed 03-Oct-18 21:58:26
Print Post

Re: Packet loss *DELETED*

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

Post deleted by seb

Edited by bigbadpirate (Wed 03-Oct-18 22:36:27)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to